• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I had previously posted my issue in the megatron thread but i feel it may be appropriate here. My previous post stated my phone was tryin to charge when it wasnt on the charger. It would do it on and off all day long. Rebooting stopped it for a bit but then continued again. Now i wiped phone and wiped everything else and reinstalled megatron. No fake charging issue but now it will not charger with a power cord at all. Ive tried 3 different chargers. It will only charge thru a usb port on my laptop. Nothing else. So what could be the problem?

Any time. :) When real life isn't crashing down around my ears :rolleyes:, I try to be quick and concise with my help. I've been on the other end enough to know the panic created when the phone isn't working correctly.

Anyhow, in order to answer your question, to get a hold of your phone's specific MSL, I've found the easiest way is to download a terminal emulator app from the play store (or use the built-in one in ROM Toolbox, if you've got that installed), then enter the line in the code box below EXACTLY as you see it (terminal emulator IS case-sensitive).

Code:
getprop ril.MSL

Hit enter after entering the line, and the terminal emulator will spit out a six-digit number on the next line. This is your MSL; write it down and keep it somewhere safe, as you will need it any time you use the hidden menu (any command where someone tells you to "dial ##****#", replacing the "*"s with numbers)

Upvote 0
No problem. Sorry we couldn't figure it out for ya. I know how much it sucks to go without a phone, especially when it's the only one you've got.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is that maybe the USB port on the phone is messed up, but then that doesn't explain why connecting it to the computer works. :thinking: :banghead:

Upvote 0
i had same exact problem bout a month back here is thread i had about it maybe answer could be found here link all indications were a usb port malfunction my issue was resolved when i attempted to take apart but never got all the way through cuz didnt have proper tools to do so i cleaned out usb port again and then all of sudden worked and has been fine since
so good luck

Xaelith great to see you back and that life little better for ya was getting ready to send a search party for ya

Reactions: twistedgeminid
Upvote 0
Ok after some good reading and trying every different usb cord and power adapter i have, i finally got my phone to charge by the adapter again thanks to all of u guys for ur help. Here is what i did, i tried the car dock thing although i never got the icon notification like other had. Specific app i used was car dashoard, opened the app, exited by accident and suddenly it started charging normally again. Is this a bug of some sort?

Upvote 0
...Xaelith great to see you back...

Thanks :) Great to be back. I can't say with any certainty, but hopefully I'll be able to get back to a section a week on the theming guide till it's done.

and that life little better for ya

It is for the moment, anyway. Without going into too much detail, I had a bill slip my mind, and so they were going to pull out a huge chunk of my paycheck each month until it got paid. When I received the news, I was worried that the remaining amount wasn't going to be enough to live off of, so I panicked. Fortunately, I was off on my calculations, so things weren't as bad as I originally thought, plus I got some help on the bill, so all's well till the next debt comes a-knockin'. :rolleyes:

was getting ready to send a search party for ya

Hahahaha :p I was getting a little worried, myself. Not including the guide, there's a couple other projects that have been set aside for a while that I would like to finish before I move on to my next device. Fortunately for the Ultra community, this little blip ensures that I'll get that chance. However, even though I plan on getting a new toy soon (Galaxy Note 2), I'll be keeping my TU as an emergency backup, should anything happen to the new phone, so y'all will probably still see me pop in from time to time, even after I switch. ;)

@twistedgeminid: It could be a bug, but glad to see you found a workaround. :)

Upvote 0
OK so my phone still does the same thing. I guess this lil trick works sometimes and then not at all. Not giving up yet tho

wanted to let ya know i did call samsung during the week my phone was possesed and they didnt have any troubleshooting fixes that i already tried the only thing they could do because i was still under warranty was to fix it, no phone for 2 weeks but luckily mine got resolved

Upvote 0
Had the same problem, got so bad I bought a new ultra. Took the battery out of the new ultra and put it on the old, problem solved. Put old battery on new phone, charging issue with new phone. Swapped old battery to old phone, charging issue there. New battery to new phone all ok.

Not to guarantee it will solve your problem but I would definitely try a new battery.

Reactions: xaelith
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones