• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ChompSMS VS. Handcent SMS

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters
I didn't vote cause I never tried chomp but on more than 100% happy with handcent especially the voice to text

Handcent all the way for me. The customize options + SMS pop-up is a win for me. Stock is good, for the basics. Chomp is good, but handcent has small things that make me more pleased. *especially the SMS count widget. ;)*

I had Chomp for quite a while before switching over to Handcent. Once I did, I instantly liked it better than Chomp.

If you do some reading I read on here stock app is supposed to be responsible for some battery drain. I think my bat lifes better since killing stock app

If you do some reading I read on here stock app is supposed to be responsible for some battery drain. I think my bat lifes better since killing stock app

That problem was fixed with a MR months ago, it occurred when sending a text through the stock app. And you probably shouldn't use a task killer on the stock app even though you use handcent because they both retrieve messages from the same place and you may cause yourself to not receive texts.

The fact that the stock messaging app doesn't alternate the side of the screen and the colors to help distinguish you from the person you're texting with blows my mind. That comes standard for the Palm WebOS (Pre, Pixi) and, I think, on the iPhone too.

I guess I'll try both Chomp and Handcent and decide...definitely want the bubble-style, alternate side chat format....

By the way, here's a thread on another forum about this:

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f12/handcent-vs-chomp-12095/

Handcent is king if you like customization and sms popups. I had chomp for a while then i made the switch, now there is no looking back.

i stopped using Handcent a while back ago.....the stock app works perfectly fine for me now....

Funny how most like Handcent on this forum and the other forum you posted they all like Chomp best, LOL I guess it is all subject to each other, LOL

The fact that the stock messaging app doesn't alternate the side of the screen and the colors to help distinguish you from the person you're texting with blows my mind. That comes standard for the Palm WebOS (Pre, Pixi) and, I think, on the iPhone too.

I guess I'll try both Chomp and Handcent and decide...definitely want the bubble-style, alternate side chat format....

By the way, here's a thread on another forum about this:

Handcent VS. Chomp? - Android Forums

All:

I spent last night trying both and I've decided I need BOTH of them...lol!

First I tried Handcent. I really dislike the "iPhone-like" graphic and color scheme across the top of the Handcent conversation list as well as each individual conversation....I don't WANT to emulate an iPhone. I do like that Handcent comes with the SMS pop-up capability built in.

So THEN I then tried ChompSMS along with the leading stand-alone SMS pop-up app available on the market. Worked really well, but I didn't like the fact that the pop-up is a two-step process to reply, as opposed to Handcent's.

Then I realized you can use the Handcent pop-up piece by itself by turning everything else off in Handcent. I'm experimenting with that now...using Handcent for it's slightly-better pop-up functionality and Chomp because it's not trying to look like an iPhone.

All:

I spend last night trying both and I've decided I need BOTH of them...lol!

First I tried Handcent. I really dislike the "iPhone-like" graphic and color scheme across the top of the Handcent conversation list as well as each individual conversation....I don't WANT to emulate an iPhone..

Handcent has 3 conversation styles (handcent/iphone/android) and you can completely change color schemes or backgrounds to anything you want. I have it customized differently for everybody that I text frequently. You can even change the color of the notification icon for each contact so even if you're set on vibrate/silent you will know who the text is from without even opening it.

Handcent has 3 conversation styles (handcent/iphone/android) and you can completely change color schemes or backgrounds to anything you want. I have it customized differently for everybody that I text frequently. You can even change the color of the notification icon for each contact so even if you're set on vibrate/silent you will know who the text is from without even opening it.

Yeah...that's definitely true. There are the "conversation styles" you're referring to, and choosing Android or Handcent styles definitely makes the conversation more Android-ish.

However, I referring not to the "conversation styles" but rather to the THICK bar across the top of both the "conversation list" and the individual "conversation" that has buttons built in. That bar appears unaffected by the "conversation" settings you're referring to. The "Skin" setting under the "Custom Styles" menu at least changes the color of the thick bar and buttons to match Android/Hero, but there's no way to get rid of the darn bar and buttons completely. I prefer to use the menu key if I need to go into settings and change things...don't want my screen cluttered up with an iChat-like bar and buttons.

See what I'm getting at?

It's pretty clear these guys are totally ripping off each other's designs and possibly even code. Does anyone know which was released first? I'm inclined to pay for whoever was first and punish whoever's ripping off the other....

The Chomp website says their initial version was 26 Dec 2008. Also, it's based on BiteSMS for iPhone, which was out even earlier...at least as far back as May 2008.

Anyone know when Handcent first came out?

Who's the thief here?

This may be a small thing but am I the only one that likes the Chomp sms widget better than the one Handcent uses. I know this is a very small thing but I hate that icon. It make my current theme look odd.

I am brand new to andriod (iPhone defector), and just installed Handcent last night. Does anybody know if you can have a message counter on the icon itself?

(sorry if this has already been answered).

I am brand new to andriod (iPhone defector), and just installed Handcent last night. Does anybody know if you can have a message counter on the icon itself?

(sorry if this has already been answered).

Yup. Put the Handcent widget on your desktop instead of a program shortcut.
Long press on screen > Widget > Handcent SMS

I've been using Handcent since I got my Hero, love it. All it really needs is an app to set it as default, like Opera Mini 5, so the messaging launcher in LauncherPro will stop pulling up the stock app.

Back
Top Bottom