• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cm7 GPS Speed

jjohn7293

Android Enthusiast
GPS has been dreadfully show on the triumph. However, I have found a possible "fix". More really of a background task that enhances signal... Automatic task killer in the playstore is a speeder upper that really works well. With all of the free memory in the background, I have been getting GPS locks in approximately 2 seconds. Full directions in nav within 3 or 4 seconds.

Anyone have any confirmation?

Edit: cm7 reloaded stock edition.

I would not ever recommend using a task killer.

You may see quicker gps locks, but it isn't from that. Killing apps/processes won't make the gps satellites lock any quicker.

I would not ever recommend using a task killer.

You may see quicker gps locks, but it isn't from that. Killing apps/processes won't make the gps satellites lock any quicker.

The only reason that I installed it was to get rid of terrible lags when waking up, and horrible freezing. After installing was when I noticed a difference... After a reboot of course.

Interesting... my Triumph(s) have never locked in under a minute.

It happens to me when I wake it up. Or it used to, but not now. I don't know what it is but I had to wait a few minutes for GPS to pick up a location in navigation. Now it locks on in merely two seconds.

It happens to me when I wake it up. Or it used to, but not now. I don't know what it is but I had to wait a few minutes for GPS to pick up a location in navigation. Now it locks on in merely two seconds.

GPS (while I don't use it HOURLY) I do use it on a daily basis. This is a key reason for me jumping ship soon. (To the HTC One V! If this phone doesn't make it to VM... Imma goin' to be pissed!)

GPS has been dreadfully show on the triumph. However, I have found a possible "fix". More really of a background task that enhances signal... Automatic task killer in the playstore is a speeder upper that really works well. With all of the free memory in the background, I have been getting GPS locks in approximately 2 seconds. Full directions in nav within 3 or 4 seconds.

It's impossible for a task killer to enhance the signal of anything. It may give you more free memory, but android does that by itself. Your task killer continuously runs in the background, and always checks the processes to see if anything has been opened. A lot of apps like to open and run in the background from time to time for multitasking purposes, and the moment your task killer detects it, it's killed. That will waste a lot of battery rather than not having one at all.

Like agent said, I'd never recommend using a task killer either. I'm not sure why you're getting faster GPS lock though. Mine always takes at least 3-5 minutes. Anyway, instead of using a task killer, download autostarts from the market. You have to pay for it but it's well worth it. You can stop apps from starting at boot, starting when applications are installed, when network changes occur(Data on,Wifi on), and a lot of other stuff. They're are a lot of variables that makes certain apps start up by themselves. I disabled them all and there are no running processes on my phone, except what I want.

I usually get a lock in under a minute. On the stock ROM the GPS was useless, but running Reloaded, it's been great and rock steady once it gets the lock.

It's impossible for a task killer to enhance the signal of anything. It may give you more free memory, but android does that by itself. Your task killer continuously runs in the background, and always checks the processes to see if anything has been opened. A lot of apps like to open and run in the background from time to time for multitasking purposes, and the moment your task killer detects it, it's killed. That will waste a lot of battery rather than not having one at all.

Like agent said, I'd never recommend using a task killer either. I'm not sure why you're getting faster GPS lock though. Mine always takes at least 3-5 minutes. Anyway, instead of using a task killer, download autostarts from the market. You have to pay for it but it's well worth it. You can stop apps from starting at boot, starting when applications are installed, when network changes occur(Data on,Wifi on), and a lot of other stuff. They're are a lot of variables that makes certain apps start up by themselves. I disabled them all and there are no running processes on my phone, except what I want.

Thanks for clearing that up, but what exactly do you think it is which has the gps running so smoothly?

Well, there are just a lot of variables involved. Not all of them have to do with the phone itself either, so it is really hard to say why it got better.

One possible explanation...

If my GPS has been off for days and I turn it on in a new location, it takes between 40-60 seconds for a lock.

If I turn it on at home, where I had previously been locked when I turned it off, it just takes 1-5 seconds to get a lock to 6 ft or so.

One possible explanation...

If my GPS has been off for days and I turn it on in a new location, it takes between 40-60 seconds for a lock.

If I turn it on at home, where I had previously been locked when I turned it off, it just takes 1-5 seconds to get a lock to 6 ft or so.

Yeah. The phones save the satellite data so the GPS connects faster after the first attempt. Mine though, takes 3-5 minutes no matter what..every single time.

My guess would be that your GPS lock itself isn't slow but your OS is bogged down and the app using location data is competing for resources, particularly on waking up the phone.

Are you using an app (i.e. battery saver) that turns on network connections/autosync on waking? If so, all your apps are triggered at once, creating this situation. The task killer is then playing whack-a-mole, which will make your apps have more data to sync/rebuild...
...Not an elegant solution at all.

Additionally, do you have Use wireless networks enabled in location settings? This may help speed things along. My Triumph locks faster than my Garmin 205, so I'm happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom