• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Community Ditching DROID?

pinesal

I read tweets from some of the well know Community DEVs and all they are talking about is N1. Cyanogen, for example, was given money to buy a N1 so he will be developing roms for it. It seems like nobody is interested in developing for DROID and I'm afraid we won't get the best homebrew.

I have a hard time keeping up on the boards. Am I over reacting? Will DROID development keep going strong?

The N1 is a very nice phone and it's coming to multiple carriers - Verizon included. It's easy to see why small hobbyist type developers may migrate to that platform over the Droid. That said though, you have to admit that it may be a poor decision. The Droid came out roughly in time for the holidays, and the sales numbers have been through the roof. It also has a relatively aggressive advertising campaign, and I haven't seen anything for the N1 save the Internet hype. Besides the community of Android die-hards and geeks, it's hard to see the N1 putting up those kinds of sales numbers right off the bat.

I've seen some apps directed specifically at the Droid, but many apps were directed at 2.0. If many are just focusing on the 2.1 aspect, we won't need to worry as we'll be getting that soon.

The N1 will be pretty much unknown by the public since there are no tv ads. They really can't expect Droid like sales numbers with just the internet and forums for advertising. Also I work at a radio shack and I asked our T-Mobile rep about the N1 and she had never even heard of it.

Yea it wouldnt make sense to move away from the droid and discriminantly focus on the N1. mo money and mo love with the droid

The N1 will be pretty much unknown by the public since there are no tv ads. They really can't expect Droid like sales numbers with just the internet and forums for advertising. Also I work at a radio shack and I asked our T-Mobile rep about the N1 and she had never even heard of it.

But all the major news networks did have something on it today. Word is going to get out. As a matter of fact, I'm watching a CNBC special on Google right now, and I waiting to hear what it mentions, if anything, about Android and/or the N1. FYI, I wish I was smart. Those people who work for Google are the luckiest SOBs on the planet.

Honestly I can't keep up with all the rom releases and various hacks for the Droid. I'm currently running my sixth rom version, each one has been a steady improvement. These forums don't have many dedicated threads for droid hacks. Checkout droidforums.net or alldroid.org for some good hacking communities.

I doubt very strongly that the nexus will surpass droid development anytime soon. The droid is immensely popular and sales for verizon should remain strong.

Back
Top Bottom