• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Constant Reeboot - any ideas?

Actually, I could use some help with this, it is driving me insane!

First off -just FYI.
Droid Bionic System Version 98.72.22.xt875.verizon
Jelly bean 4.1.2
I am NOT rooted, and am not due for an upgrade until August.

I assume my phone received an update of some sort.
At night I plug my phone in and turn off the screen, but do not shut it off.
At 3am est on May 29th, my phone restarted for no reason.
When it booted back up, I had no cell service (data or calls), wifi was fine.
It stayed on for 2 to 3 minutes and restarted. That happened 3 times before I powered it down. :confused:

Things I tried to get it working...

Cleared the cache.
Re enabled ALL of the crapware.
Pulled the battery - simcard - Sd card, multiple times.

Finally found a copy of Jellybean 4.1.2 for droid online. Downloaded it to my SD card, went into the restore menu, and reinstalled my OS.

Everything worked !

FOR ONE DAY ?!? :mad:

It lost cell service and started rebooting again. So.... rinse and repeat.
It happened again a day later.

OK, FACTORY RESET

Except this time it rebooted into the Setup sequence, to the part where it askes "which language".
I chose english... and it REBOOTED back to the same "which language" screen.

Reinstalled Jellybean 4.1.2

Everything worked !

FOR ONE DAY ?!?

It lost cell service and started rebooting again this morning. So.... rinse and repeat.

HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP !

Finally found a copy of Jellybean 4.1.2 for droid online. Downloaded it to my SD card, went into the restore menu, and reinstalled my OS.

Welcome to Android Forums.

The quoted sentence has me confused. What did you you do and what did you do it with?

If I was in your position ...

Un-root-ed.
Bionic repeatedly re-boots.
Did a Factory Data Reset.
Problem continued after Factory Data Reset when I had not installed ANY additional apps.

... I would be standing in the Verizon store asking for a replacement.

... Thom

Welcome to Android Forums.

The quoted sentence has me confused. What did you you do and what did you do it with?

If I was in your position ...

Un-root-ed.
Bionic repeatedly re-boots.
Did a Factory Data Reset.
Problem continued after Factory Data Reset when I had not installed ANY additional apps.

... I would be standing in the Verizon store asking for a replacement.

... Thom

:o Thanks for the welcome Thom,
I have been reading your advice on these forums for quite some time. You are very informative.
This is the first time in a year I have had a problem.

I reinstalled this morning because I needed my phone today, as my 18 month old is with a baby sitter.
So (un)fortunately my phone is in complete working order today. It seems it will not be until tomorrow until my phone looses connectivity to the cell towers, and starts rebooting every 2 minutes.

I think it keeps getting an update pushed to it. It went two days when I turned of wifi and mobile data. But I turned it back on to check an address and BAM! one hour later - reboot city.:mad:

But I will go into Verizon as soon as it happens again.

Here are the steps I took in order to Manually Update my Bionic...
Found this by googling - Manually Update my Bionic

Blur_Version.6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip from....
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4Br3Vu0gmjGYjZGTjJwNGZWLWM/edit

In order to flash the update, download the file from below, drop it on your SD card, reboot into recovery, and then install from SD Card.

So to get into the Boot Menu, simply do the following:
1. Power down your device.
2. Press and hold both the Volume up and down buttons.
3. Press Power. Done.
From there, you can use the volume keys to switch between options, including Recovery.

To get into Recovery:
1. Volume down to highlight

Hi smatricciani and welcome to AF. :hello:

Thom asked me to check this out for you and I think there could be a couple of issues.

1. Your sim card is bad
2. Your radio.img is bad and an update or fdr won't fix it
3. you have a hardware issue. This is not likely but could be.

To fix #1 go to a Verizon store and ask for a new sim card because yours is faulty. There should be no charge for this.

To fix #2 you can follow my instructions here using the full 98.72.22 fxz. This will install completely new software on your phone because doing an fdr does not touch system files where your problem might be. http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...9-905-gb-6-7-246-ics-98-72-22-jb-rsdlite.html

You might be able to get the Verizon store to do this but they might charge you for it.

To fix #3 you would have to go to a repair shop or get a new phone (sorry).

Good Luck and I will follow this thread if you have anymore questions

Hi smatricciani and welcome to AF. :hello:

Thom asked me to check this out for you and I think there could be a couple of issues.

1. Your sim card is bad
2. Your radio.img is bad and an update or fdr won't fix it
3. you have a hardware issue. This is not likely but could be.

To fix #1 go to a Verizon store and ask for a new sim card because yours is faulty. There should be no charge for this.

To fix #2 you can follow my instructions here using the full 98.72.22 fxz. This will install completely new software on your phone because doing an fdr does not touch system files where your problem might be. http://androidforums.com/bionic-all...9-905-gb-6-7-246-ics-98-72-22-jb-rsdlite.html

You might be able to get the Verizon store to do this but they might charge you for it.

To fix #3 you would have to go to a repair shop or get a new phone (sorry).

Good Luck and I will follow this thread if you have anymore questions

1. I'll try the sim card swap tomorow. (but why would reloading Jellybean fix the problem for a day?)

2. This isn't rooting my phone is it? Because this phone is stock.

3. I'll try the first two things first.

Thanks

It could be just coincidence that reloading JB cause your phone to work for a day.

#2 is not rooting your phone. What it does is completely replaces your software on your phone. It wipes everything on your phone except your external sd-card (which I would remove before you do this and copy your internal sd card (labeled mot) before also just to be safe) then replaces it with new software including all the system files and radio images. read the op in the thread completely before doing it.

It could be just coincidence that reloading JB cause your phone to work for a day.

#2 is not rooting your phone. What it does is completely replaces your software on your phone. It wipes everything on your phone except your external sd-card (which I would remove before you do this and copy your internal sd card (labeled mot) before also just to be safe) then replaces it with new software including all the system files and radio images. read the op in the thread completely before doing it.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Actually, I could use some help with this, it is driving me insane!

First off -just FYI.
Droid Bionic System Version 98.72.22.xt875.verizon
Jelly bean 4.1.2
I am NOT rooted, and am not due for an upgrade until August.

I assume my phone received an update of some sort.
At night I plug my phone in and turn off the screen, but do not shut it off.
At 3am est on May 29th, my phone restarted for no reason.
When it booted back up, I had no cell service (data or calls), wifi was fine.
It stayed on for 2 to 3 minutes and restarted. That happened 3 times before I powered it down. :confused:

Things I tried to get it working...

Cleared the cache.
Re enabled ALL of the crapware.
Pulled the battery - simcard - Sd card, multiple times.

Everything worked !

FOR ONE DAY ?!? :mad:

It lost cell service and started rebooting again. So.... rinse and repeat.
It happened again a day later.

OK, FACTORY RESET

Except this time it rebooted into the Setup sequence, to the part where it askes "which language".
I chose english... and it REBOOTED back to the same "which language" screen.

Reinstalled Jellybean 4.1.2

Everything worked !

FOR ONE DAY ?!?

It lost cell service and started rebooting again this morning. So.... rinse and repeat.

HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP !
Mine was doing the exact same thing, had to get a replacement phone.

I followed the instructions. It only got to 5/22 and gave me an error so...

"If you tried the 98.72.22 fxz and received a OEM_fb_mode error use this file here it is the full 98.72.22 with the 2 fb_mode lines removed."

The entire process took under 10 minutes.

It seems to have worked - sorta like a factory data reset - running Jellybean 4.1.2

I will not delete or disable any Crapware.
I am not even going to install any of my old apps for a couple of days.

I am going over to the Verizon store to get a replacement sim card in a few minutes.

The only thing I am doing, is downloading my Contacts info.

If it was a radio or sim card issue this should fix it.

I will reply back in a few days or so. (By this Monday the 10th) if all goes well.:p

If it is an update screwing things up, like I suspect, I will reply Friday Morning. As that will be exactly how long it will take for this (bad update?) to download and install for the 5th time.:mad:

Thanks for all of your Help.:o

- Steven

Update...

I didn't get a new sim card, they wanted $12.

Saturday, It rebooted again about 10:00 am est. So I reloaded Jellybean, and figured everything would be good for another day or two. :(

Not so. :mad: It rebooted twice more in the afternoon.
So the last time, in order to keep it from happening again, I turned off Data over Cell towers.

Basically, I could use it as a phone and use wifi, but the moment it gained 3g or 4g data it would re-download whatever update was bricking my phone.

Since I actually want and pay for mobile data, I called Verizion.

Went through two levels of Cust serv. They had me start it in safe mode, and it immediately lost service and rebooted 5 times while I was on the phone.

Long story short - They overnighted me a New ish(?) Bionic without the back or sim card, or sd.

I did a FDR on my old phone to send it back.

The new one came with ICS preloaded. So I updated it with Jellybean. After the update, it kept saying "lost motorola services", so I also did a factory data reset.

I disabled all of the crapware, and reloaded all of my stuff. Sent my old phone back this morning 6/12/13

Hopefully this one will continue to work properly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

_ Steve

Good luck Steve. Let us know how the newish phone are out.

I know this is a very late update but here you go...

I got the newish referb in the mail, it looked great!

The only thing wrong was one of the speakers on the back was not working. Oh well it worked just fine otherwise.

Well it's now March 25th 2014 and it happened again last week. Lost all radio contact and started rebooting. :mad:

So I figured I would use my insurance, because the lady that sold it to me said I can replace my phone free of charge if there's ever a problem.

Well, there was a $100 deductible, but I was eligible for a new phone.

So I went with the Samsung galaxy s4. I'm still within my 14-day trial and am considering this over the Razr Maxx.

I've read tons and pros and cons on the net but I'm down to this. I hate the plastic back, although I can get a so carbon fiber-ish one, so that may not be an issue. But I like the idea of waking up the phone with Google search instead of the S voice, and of course the battery life.

Opinions on in the forums differ on if the sammy radios have improved, or if they are as good as Motos.

The similarity I would have coming off of the Droid Bionic to the Droid Maxx would also be a plus.

What are your opinions.?

Go for the Droid Maxx.
Best phone I have ever owned.
Battery life is insane and the phone is rock solid.
(I had one hiccup.)

... Thom

What Hiccup?

Also I am trying to use my old bionic as a tablet for my son.

I used rds lite to reset back to stock using this firmware
Motorola Firmwares

Still reboots after 2 minutes in the os.
It will stay on all day long in the restore select screen.
Therefore it is definitely a software issue!

Can you go back to gingerbread using rds once jellybean is installed?
This phone was never rooted.

Hiccup ... I had one absurd problem after going to Kit Kat on the Maxx ... the three buttons on the front stopped working. There was just no response. I assumed a hardware problem and did the second Factory Data Reset just before taking it in for replacement and it was then back to normal. No explanation. It started when I was standing in Staples ... the phone rang and when I tried to answer it the buttons didn't work.

I don't believe you can go from ICS to GB to JB to ICS on the Bionic.

... Thom

Well, long story short...

I saved my Bionic from rebooting.

I had to root it and install a new OS. (cyanogenmod11)

If I boot up in the stock rom it resets after 1 minute or so.

So definitely a software issue.

Back
Top Bottom