• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Constant sync, reinstall friendstream????

1967ls2

So I am rooted and running the latest skyraider. I removed friendstream and the widget from my phone a while ago. I also still have the facebook still synced to my phone. I have been researching this a lot and still haven't figured out what I need to do. What I can tell is i have this constant sync icon in my notification status bar practically all the time. When I go into accounts & sync nothing in there is actually syncing. I can click on "cancel sync" and the sync icon will go away for a few minutes then it is right back there again a little while later. When I go into accounts, running services there is "Facebooksyncstreamservice" at the bottom which when I click it to stop it brings me directly to the accounts and sync settings menu. I click cancel sync and again it stops for only a short period of time.

After reading a lot on the internet and forums it seems like if you are using FB on your phone you should also keep friendstream installed as well otherwise you could get this constant sync icon which I seem to be receiving as a result of removing friendstream.

So i found the friendstream apk on line and downloaded it to the computer to install on my phone. Hooked up the phone via the usb cable installed the apk to my sd card then tried to install it via OI file manager. Says it begins to install then just aborts the install and says "File not installed" or something to that nature.

I have also read that you can only install this by using adb push which I have no idea how to do. I have searched but have come up empty with a step by step guide at using adb push method.

I have also found another write up where someone describes using root explorer to move the apk to the system>app folder then install through there which results in the same "File not installed" message once completed.

Basically I have no other recourse but to turn to the infinite knowledge base of XDA to possibly ask for help on either 1. finding a way to deactivate this constant sync icon or 2. reinstall the friendstream apk which I believe will stop this constant sync icon (fingers crossed).

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance for anyone that can offer some help or incite. If anyone is going to respond to this thread with negative comments and remarks, please refrain as I am only looking for assistance and not useless time wasting comments. Thanks

You're correct, if you reinstall the Friendstream apk you will stop the constant syncing. Did you make a backup before you started deleting stuff? (you should have) If you did, restore it, if you didn't you're going to have to read up on adb or try a different file manager to install FS (maybe Astro would work?) In the future, rather than just deleting apps, create an app.disable folder in root explorer. That way if something goes wrong (like your current issue, for instance) you can just move it back to "app" from your disable folder. I don't use adb as I've never had the need to use it or else I'd walk you through the steps. A google search would probably yield a few step by steps (hopefully) Good luck.

BTW, it's safe to remove the FS widget, just not the app. Don't delete google talk or the stock messaging app either as they both are needed for basic phone functions

Back
Top Bottom