• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help contact text tone

neffc

Lurker
Jan 28, 2014
I love my S3, but i have one problem and its a big one! I need to assign a specific, longer, louder notification to a contact. Here's the issue, because it wasn't i big deal on my old iphone (4s):

I am a first responder, and am on two emergency response teams. I receive a text message, that generated from a group email from our emergency dispatch. I am trying to set a specific, longer louder ringtone to this specific sender/contact, so that I am woken up by this specific tone when an emergency page comes in.

The problem is that when I tried to do this, the tone comes out as whatever is set to the default, not the specific tone. That is not going to work. The tones are too short, and not loud enough to wake me up. Volume is set to max for notifications, and I need it to be different so that I can get up and respond to the page. I can sleep through the default tone, but this specific tone was created from a song using a ring tone maker. It is in the right spot and available to be set as a notification.

This was tested on my system, and the page always defaults to the default tone. Both Samsung and ATT have tried to assist me with this to no avail. I know it works on an iphone, but I DONT WANT TO SWITCH BACK, because I love the s3!

Anybody have any ideas? Ill try just about anything.

Thanks for your ideas,
Neffc

after fooling with mine, i set the system notification sound to silent. Then I set the messaging app notification sound on. and I set a messaging sound for the contact separate in contacts.
I sent test from two contacts, one was from a email address as separate contact, the other was from my main self contact with my google number (so i can test through Voice). Sending texts through the outlook.com email to @vtext.com did not change the ringtone from default. However when texting from my computer through voice (a phone number) the ringtone was individualized.

The problem seems to be when the text comes from an email. I switched and assigned a number to the contact that just had the email and still the same issue. a message from a email address only gets the default ringtone for some reason.

I had no luck with hangouts or textra.

I would try handsent or go sms, or another mms app to test further.
Maybe use a silent ringer app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mith.sleepez or
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smartsilent or https://play.google.com/store/search?q=emergency silent&c=apps

Upvote 0
I think that's the problem as well. The thing is I CANNOT change the method that the page/message is sent. I have never used any other type of ringer. I am thinking of just.going back to apple, even tho I don't want to. I really dont want to have to spend all day messing with ringers and ringtones for something that should be simple.

Upvote 0
Yeah, unfortunately the issue seems to be at the core of how the messages from email sources are handled.

I would frankly try one of the silent emergency apps. They seem to let you silence the phone except for marked emergency contacts. This way you can set the message ringtone to be the one that will wake you but it would only go off when the marked contact messages you.

Sort of a poor workaround. There may be a better way like using smart tags to change the ringtone in conjunction with the silent apps. so you do not have the emergency alert as your message notification or one of the silent/emergency apps may have a separate ringtone option.

Using a different stock rom may help, I am using a custom touch wiz rom and still had the same issue you described since I am on a s3 as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones