• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Converting kindle to nook

Rgarner

Android Expert
Any Ebook Converter sounds as if it would do the job. However, Iit looks to be for windows and not Android. Is it available for Android or is there any other, possibly better, app?

A quick search produced this as the first result: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.daemon.ebookconverter&hl=en&gl=US. Also available on apkpure if you really want to avoid Google.

I also found this online convertor: https://www.onlineconverter.com/android-ebook

I believe that Nook use epub as their format, which is the most widely-used format going, so any convertor should be able to produce that. Provided of course that your Kindle books aren't DRM-locked: if they are then you'll probably have to remove that first, which I'm wary of discussing here because I'm unsure of US law on this (it's legal where I am for personal use, provided you don't redistribute the works afterwards, but as Rob lives in the US I don't want to get him into trouble if US law still forbids it ;)).

I should note that I've not used either of the things linked above as I do all of my ebook management using Calibre on a computer.

I know about the drm, but there's supposed to be something that removes it. I have no intention of trying to make money off of someone else's copyrighted work. It's just that I am trying to avoid amazon as much as possible and I"m already set up for Nook.

There are indeed things that remove DRM (certainly on computers, I don't know about phones). Where I buy a book that contains DRM (not all do) the first thing I do is remove it, regardless of whether I need to in order to read it on a particular device. And I won't buy an ebook if I can't do that.

Amen, brother, they shouldn't be allowed to do these things. Meanwhile, I have to figure out how to do this. I suppose I have to have some kind of access to kindle to be able to do it.

Amen, brother, they shouldn't be allowed to do these things. Meanwhile, I have to figure out how to do this. I suppose I have to have some kind of access to kindle to be able to do it.
When you say you need "access to Kindle" does this mean that the books are loaded into the Kindle app on your phone? I don't use that app, but if it doesn't store books in the "kindle" folder in your internal storage (or SD card) that probably means it's storing them as "private" app data (in /data/data/<kindle package name>), which you'd need root to access. And to be honest that's what I would expect Amazon to do, as it keeps more control in their hands.

If these are books you bought from Amazon you can go back to Amazon (with a browser) and download a copy, which you can then de-DRM and convert. The catch is that they may not offer this option if you only have the Kindle app on a device (I actually have a Kindle e-reader, which I sideload books onto from a computer - I keep its WiFi permanently off so that Amazon cannot collect information about how I use it). But in case you do have this option, here's the recipe: log into Amazon from a web browser. Go into your past orders, find one of the books, click "content and devices" and this will give you a list of all books you've downloaded from them. Then for each book the "actions" will include "download and transfer via USB". You may have to do this for each book (tedious), but this will give you the actual ebook files, which you can then de-DRM and convert.

Ok, I've logged in from Duckduckgo and gotten to some ebooks, anyway. However, I don't see "actions", let alone "downloaded ad and transfer via USB". I am including a screenshot just in case that might help.
Screenshot_20210126-084450.png
Screenshot_20210126-084450.png

I don't know if I actually want to destroy something in order to convert it. Maybe I'll have to, though. In the meantime, is an ebook on sd safe from some kind of Orwellian manipulation? I read about some version(s) of 1984 (what else) being deleted somehow. Try that with REAL books...

I wouldn't put much faith in Nook. They're dying as a company and haven't made a new e-reader in years. I recently had my account shut down because their service that my Simple Touch used was shut down recently. Thankfully I kept that thing offline so all my content remains intact, and it's rooted as well. They, much like BAM! (which used to be known as Books-A-Million) are falling victim to 'Kmart Syndrome' wherein said company lingers a few years and ultimately goes bye bye. See also, Sears, Ames, Woolco.

I'd recommend Aldiko as an alternative. They have free public domain books, and all their books are non-DRM and stored on SD. I backed up a few and you just copy them to the 'ebooks' folder on the SD card or internal storage and the app sees them and reads them just fine.

I wouldn't bother with Nook, but you could have a look at Kobo readers. they also have a reader app in the Play Store

Back
Top Bottom