• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Couple of questions before rooting.

waxlrose

Sep 11, 2010
I would like to root my phone and maybe try out Cyanogen and maybe some diff kernels and stuff.

1. How safe is rooting? Am I opening myself up to attacks with root privileges enabled?

2. Is my phone less secure since boot(or recovery) menus will now be accessible.

3. How safe are most of the ROMs. Cyanogen specifically? It seems like it would be really easy for some of the developers to throw in malware or tracking software.

4. if I take a nandroid backup before I install a different ROM will that set me back to what I was at exactly? Apps, Texts, all that kind of thing? Does that include the kernel aswell?

5. Is unrooting an option?

I would like to root my phone and maybe try out Cyanogen and maybe some diff kernels and stuff.

1. How safe is rooting? Am I opening myself up to attacks with root privileges enabled?

2. Is my phone less secure since boot(or recovery) menus will now be accessible.

3. How safe are most of the ROMs. Cyanogen specifically? It seems like it would be really easy for some of the developers to throw in malware or tracking software.

4. if I take a nandroid backup before I install a different ROM will that set me back to what I was at exactly? Apps, Texts, all that kind of thing? Does that include the kernel aswell?

5. Is unrooting an option?

the short answers:

1) very safe as long as you can follow directions, not open to anymore malware than normal. You have to approve any apps super user privileges; there are only maybe 10 types apps at the most that need it.

2) not any less secure unless you routinely give your phone to strangers.

3) all roms are very safe, they are open source, everyone has the ability to see every line of code in the rom. (and there are plenty of people who look them over and make their own changes to personalize them)

4) yes, EXACTLY the same. (only thing that doesn't restore are radios, but you most likely won't be changing it anyway)

5) yes

Upvote 0
When I was talking about the boot menu or recovery options being less secure I mean if I lose it or something. Would someone have an easier time getting into it.

If I unroot it, and HTC comes out with a new update....say to gingerbread. Will I be able to update like nothing happened?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones