• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Customized Ringtones on the Droid X

Same for me; created the folders, moved the files, still not visible in the ringtone list. Weird part is that I had them at one point, without having done the above, but I can't remember what I did. Just seemed to me like my Droid X was truly an alien; I'd set the ringtones, then unbeknownst to me I'd receive a call and it'd be my fiance's rt while she's sitting right next to me - yes, an odd situation the couple of times that has happened.

I'm having trouble figuring out the Android folder system, coming from a Windows Mobile device - still lots to learn. Back to the topic of this thread, what's missing in the picture?

Yeah the Droid X is just like a PC it has a mind of its own. I can set ring tones and they work til' my fingers bleed and 1 to 3 calls later the Droid will just set ring back to default....better than iphone but needs serious upgrades.....

Upvote 0
It's kinda a mess. It keeps losing my customized ringtone in any case.

from the root directory on the SD Card create a Media/Audio/Ringtones directory and copy your ringtones into it (xxxx.mp3). They should show up when the phone is disconnected from the usb and the sd card is mounted. (you can also create directories Media/Audio/Alarms and Media/Audio/Notifications if you want.)

Upvote 0
How do I do it? I'm new to the droid phone and am having a terrible time trying to figure out how to use my ringtones. Can I use different ones for different callers? And can you use them for text messaging? IF so, How? :)

Go into the contact and edit... on the bottom click additional info and there will be a option for individual ringtone

When you are in your text messaging program go to settings.... under notification you will see the ringtone option. Same goes for google voice, google talk, etc.

Upvote 0
i need help i created my ringtones
i connected my phone to my laptop
the ringtones were put in a folder called Files i find it in the store department?? or the place were you can access navigation and other things
how do i get my ringtones into the correct place on my phone so they can actually be used as ring tones.
i did it on my other droid X without using my SD card
i lost that phone and have to start over i forgot how i did it
i need step by step information.
if i have to start from scratch no problems
thanks jamila@malluf.com

Upvote 0
1. Set any of your songs on your SDcard as a phone ringtone:

From the Music player application library, navigate to a song you want to use as a phone ringtone
Touch & hold the song in the list to open the context menu. (You can also access same menu during song playback by pressing the Menu hard key)
Select Use as phone ringtone. The ringtone is set as your default incoming call ringtone and copied to your Phone ringtone list.
If you are using a custom ringtone (created from MP3s on your handset for example) with a bluetooth headset, you will hear a beep or tone when receiving a call through the headset while the custom ringtone will play from the phone speakers.

2. Choose Phone ringtones through settings menu:

Press the Menu hard key
Touch Settings
Touch Sound & display
Touch Phone ringtone (If option is greyed out, make sure handset volume is not set to Silent Mode)
Select a Phone ringtone from the list. Press OK to set. (Music files you have set as Incoming Call ringtone from your SDcard will be included in this list along with downloaded and preloaded ringtones.

3. Customize the text message ringtone

From the homescreen or from within the applications tray, touch Text messaging
Press the Menu hard key (On the left with 4 squares)
Touch Messaging Settings
Touch Select ringtones (if option is greyed out, make sure Notifications is turned on / actived)
Touch on any Notification ringtone to select and hear a sample.
Press OK to set as notification ringtone

4. Assign a ringtone to a specific contact:

Press Contacts icon on homescreen or tap on Contacts application from the Applications Tray
Press the specific contact
Press the menu key
Touch Edit. Clear keyboard with Back key.
Scroll down and Press > at end of Additional info to open more options
Touch V (down) icon next to Ringtone
Choose a Phone ringtone from the list and tap OK to set.
Press Save to save to contact.
Personalized ringtone will appear in contact info screen.

Note: To assign a music/song from your memory card as a ringtone, first follow step1 above and follow step 4 again.

5. Download ringtones from Android market

From the programs menu, touch Market
Touch search to search for ringtones.

Upvote 0
Not a reply, a resurrection of the thread at a lower level!

Very new with the phone - droid charge. I downloaded Ringdroid. Then I click on it. And there it sits with two boxes on the top, a Search Box, and a Record New.
And there it sits? And sits?
I did something one time which evoked the ring tone choices - but I don't know what I did?
You see the learning curve for the technologically challenged is not a curve - or maybe some mathematician would say its still is a curve of sorts - that is to say, for me, the learning curve is a vertical line.
So what do I do now? And how am I supposed to know what to do now with this app. Anybody? give me a ring (but not by Ringdroid.
Waiting on the primer to the primer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones