• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogen making a move

I will take a step back and watch how they build their business model. I hope they adopt a business model to work with the phone makers, especially the small ones. If they try to make money with the users, CM might become an ugly OS with different app stores, all the adware and bloatware in the OS. I hope they become the Redhat of Android world.

Oh man, if they became the RedHat of the Android world...@_@ I'd be in heaven.

As far as a business model goes though...

I'm curious to see how many devices they'll support, and whatnot. And how they'll support them. Will it come pre-installed? Or will it have to be rooted?

I know all AT&T phones from now on, for example, will have locked bootloaders and such...But honestly though, I'm glad that the CM team is leaping forward this way.

CM's capabilities are obviously valuable based on the funding they received. I hope they are planning to work on adding back to Android instead of completely forking it to go their own way. This also depends on Google's willingness to collaborate though. Google can perceive CM's business as stepping on its toes. There can easily be lawsuits against CM in the future for violating trademarks of Android if they go directly after the users using Android brand and integrating Google's proprietary services starting with Play Store, Youtube, etc, etc.

If the unlocked phones become more popular in US, it will be very good for CM. Or some of the smaller phone manufacturers could prefer outsourcing their Android development to CM. I am wishing CM the best. They are getting into a tricky business with so many opportunities and pitfalls. I would be thrilled to see a company like Redhat out of CM in the future.

Well, if the past is any indication of the future...I don't think Google will sue. I mean, sure, Gmail, play store, etc are proprietary...and if Google doesn't want those apps allowed, I know there are alternatives.

Also, I'm quite sure Google would have said something about all the custom ROM's and flashable Gapps packages around the internet being dispersed.

But yeah, smaller companies like ZTE, Huawei (however you spell it), etc, could REALLY benefit from this sort of move for them. Not to say that those companies make bad HARDWARE, but their software leaves a lot to be desired...

It will be an interesting next few months, between this, Samsung's new OS, and Xiaomis MIUI coming stateside supposedly.

Back
Top Bottom