• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Day 3 with Atrix plus dock _Eliminate Ipad and Iphone?...testing

Hesynergy

Lurker
I got the Atrix plus Lapdock because I wanna carry one machine and still have what the combo of my Iphone and Ipad offer....read on.

The Atrix and Lapdock?...outFrigginstanding combo!

but....I am still up in the air

Pluses found so far

absolutely marvelous FIREFOX with ALL my PC addons, Xmarks sync, LASTPASS and pretty damned speedy loading

Screen on Lapdock is almost too bright...res is pretty nice

Yes the Lapdock is overpriced but when you consider its replacing Iphone and Ipad....wellllllllll $500 or so is NOT a bad trade off

I LOVE the fact that I have a file system again, SD card storage, REAL FAST access to and function of FLASH(yes Steve, we know it really DOES suck our batteries dry and I respect the fact you excluded it to give the Ipad a TRUE Ten Hour battery life....BUT...) and hopefully Adobe understands that they better the f**k optimze the sh*t out of Flash for mobile or HTML 5 and Google's purchase of the new media format(cant remember the name), will eat your lunch!!

How I love the fact that Steve Jobs is not running my life (healing vibes to Steve)

The keyboard of the dock is lovely to the touch...getting six hours out of it and as my phone leaves it and enters my pocket....I have a full charge, so I cant comment yet on the Atrix battery life yet....I usually play 3 hours of podcasts a day on my Iphone, and have to charge it mid day.

Have Kindle and Audible...YAYYYYY

still trying to figger out Email since they appear to include Email, and
Gmail...cornfuzzled here.

NICE Notifications drop down from the top!!...Apple, IOS 4.3-5??

Again...I cant say enough about having the EXACT firefox and goodies on the lapdock as on my home Win7 laptop and beefed up desktop gaming rig...FULL SCREEN....it's all there!!!

Slingbox thru dishnetwork works acceptably well, but not as hi res as on my Ipad.

Love the fingerprint security!



Minuses found so far
Cannot sideload Teamviewer..WHY is is NOT on the Marketplace?

ATT has disabled loading NON Trusted sources, so I may need to root it as I jailbroke BOTH Iphone and Ipad to get the goodies and priveledges I wanted(Unjailbroke when IOS 4.2 came to the Ipad)

Splashtop which works wonderfully on my Ipad crashes after detecting my PC Laptop and Main machine

Trackmouse and Keyboard on Dock seems kinda flakey in Firefox...but I may not be waiting for the sites to load long enough

Atrix DOES have folders...Motoblur?...and to be frank, I like the simplicity of IOS...BUT...the freedom!!!!...FILE SYSTEM!!!.....SD card!!!

What I miss
3 different ways to do Remote desktop on the Ipad/Iphone....and all work well!
Splashtop, Logmein Ignition(Paid $24 bux),Teamviewer(free, and, on IOS obviously no side loading issues). I AIN't payin' another 24 bux for Android version of Logmein...no matter how good it is!

NO NATIVE NOTES App....I ve had a PDA for 20+ years....and that many years of notes....still trying to figger that one out....GOOGLE....GIVE US A native NOTES APP!!

BTW...Googlle could learn from Palm...had one since it came out including the Treo 650....they made all their business apps, common format databases...(PDB..then MDB) and could export or import Dbase files!!!!....miss that!

The NPR app on the Ipad is SUPERB!!!....please guys...dupe it on the Android platform
Teck Junkie, a nice compilation of Tech sites modifyable to include your own
Alarm allows the breadth of the Iphone's, but it is not quite as loud
Flip..
Twitterific-tried Twitteroid, and it kept hitting me with alerts...couldnt unload it, cause it seemed to keep popping back....uninstalled it.....any good twitter apps out there guys?

Nuff for Now...Ive added a PUBLICLY EDITABLE Matrix(spreadsheet) for all of us to share and update below.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0At6UbGbeHXMxdHNUVUZEUGtqVmhNMlNRdkFlOFJ4bmc&hl=en

Contribute!

regards,
Chas







Chas
 
Tried your doc link, but it failed.

I have to agree: the Atrix laptop dock is just amazing. I don't know how big the battery is, but it took all weekend to run it down. The way it charges the phone first is just perfect. Very handy.

I did just what you did: installed xmarks, lastpass, feedly, and wham: instant access to all my sites and stuff. Everything works flawlessly so far. The only glitch: web-based TeamViewer does not render correctly in the browser.

I plan to install teamviewer using the sideload wonder machine, which worked with my Atrix with other apps.

Is it possible to install Adobe Air on the dock? I'd love to have native tweetdeck on this thing. I love being able being able to add bookmarks and web apps to the dock, too.

The capabilities built into the Atrix are just astounding. Every day I discover something new and clever about this phone. Although initially frustrated by the Exchange contact sync problems I encountered (a clear bug that will be hopefully fixed), everything else has been great.
 
im typing this from the multi - media dock from my 42 inch TV....I love this thing (even though it looks better on computer monitors)

Webtop is a very niche thing, but to those who will use it, its a really great tool to have. When i come home from work or school, i usually just use my computer to browse the forums and do a little chatting so hooking this up in my living room is priceless. When i want to play xbox i just switch inputs, and when i need to look up a guide or something i always have webtop to switch to. I also use it next to my laptop when im looking up code for programming homeworks and the like. so far hulu is watchable, engadgets flash videos work with out stutter and youtube shines as it should. the only problem i get is when i play them in full screen mode. I'm guessing adobe will update flash to better support this phone in webtop soon enough, but the flash performance you get here is as good as a high-end netbook running an atom/ion combo
 
I got the Atrix plus Lapdock because I wanna carry one machine and still have what the combo of my Iphone and Ipad offer....read on.


Yea when the Atrix was announced I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to get rid of my iPad and still have a laptop like experience with flash. I can still run the android apps from webtop on my laptop dock or multimedia dock. So in anticipation of the Atrix release I returned my 13" MacBook Air back to apple and got the 21.5" iMac which I love. I also sold my iPhone and will be selling my iPad this week. The MBA would not wake from sleep several times a week and that was the second one I was on so I was happy to return it. So I now have the iMAc which I can do heavy computing on and the Atrix/laptop dock for browsing and cloud computing around and away from home. I took a trip to Montgomery, AL over the weekend and didn't miss a beat with this setup.
 
Yea when the Atrix was announced I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to get rid of my iPad and still have a laptop like experience with flash. I can still run the android apps from webtop on my laptop dock or multimedia dock. So in anticipation of the Atrix release I returned my 13" MacBook Air back to apple and got the 21.5" iMac which I love. I also sold my iPhone and will be selling my iPad this week. The MBA would not wake from sleep several times a week and that was the second one I was on so I was happy to return it. So I now have the iMAc which I can do heavy computing on and the Atrix/laptop dock for browsing and cloud computing around and away from home. I took a trip to Montgomery, AL over the weekend and didn't miss a beat with this setup.
I can see you're slowly moving away from Apple!!! Why did you need the tablet if you had a MacBook Air, lol.
 
I can see you're slowly moving away from Apple!!! Why did you need the tablet if you had a MacBook Air, lol.


I'll still use Apple computers but I bought the iPad so that I could leave my MBA at home if I didn't need to do any heavy computing. Worked for the most part but I miss flash among a few other things so this was a good option.
 
Thanks for the lapdock review.
Bought it as well, but it wasn't for me since I already have a macbook.
 
QUOI????...web-based TeamViewer does not render correctly in the browser.

I plan to install teamviewer using the sideload wonder machine, which worked with my Atrix with other apps.

I couldn't get the sideloader to work...even though I loaded the HP USB drivers, win7 saw the atrix, and so did the Moto app, Sideloader WM...couldnt see my device

Reported device not found in the black dos window.....what did you do that I didnt??

Chas
 
Hmmm. Sideload wonder machine worked for me, running Win7.

I also found that the Teamviewer web app did not render in the webtop browser. Teamviewer running on the phone side, in fullscreen mode, rendered but is weird to use due to their "move the screen, not the mouse" model.

BUT: The Citrix Corporate Access Gateway client is *prelaoded* in the laptop! I accessed our private corporate app server and was astounded when a Citrix app opened and rendered *natively* on the desktop. This is a huge win for enterprise users!

Every day, I discover some new nifty feature on this phone!
 
Does your cursor freeze on the dock? Mine does all the time and the only way to unfreeze is to shut the dock and open again. Does this happen to you?
 
Back
Top Bottom