• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dead phone with vibration error code?

Shadwhawk

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
I shut my Desire Z (G2 on TMobile) off to restart it the other day. I had just finished up a phone call and my phone had auto-updated to Flash 11 over the weekend. When I tried to turn it back on, though, all it did was vibrate 7 times. I had to take the battery out for it to respond to anything, and that response was merely the 7 vibrations when I tried to turn it on again.
I tried removing the SIM and SD cards and plugging into the charger and into the PC, to no effect. I was hoping it'd do something without the battery, but I guess it can't run from AC without a battery like laptops can, since it didn't give me any vibrations without a battery installed.
The phone had 4 days left on its warranty and the replacement is on a truck, but I had a bunch of data on it I had neglected to back up (one would imagine moving apps to the SD card would also move the userdata to the SD card, but I guess not!). Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get any data off a phone that appears to be dead? The T-Mobile store was useless apart for getting the warranty replacement ordered.

Shadwhawk, I can certainly empathize with you. I don't have your hardware, and, so am not sure how to get data off of the internal storage of the phone. My understanding, however, is that the data for applications is typically stored on the SD card. So definitely look there.

My reason for posting here is Vibrate Error Codes in general. I have a Samsung Sidekick, also under T-Mobile. I've had a situation occur twice, where, when bringing up Google News, the news comes up, but that's the last display on my phone (freeze situation, even to not dimming the display). But, at the same time, I have three quick vibrates, short pause, longer vibrate, pause, repeat. The first time this occurred, I stuck with it for several minutes, hoping for a timeout or some such. Both times, the only thing that allowed me to proceed was to remove the battery, and then put it back in, which, in both cases, brought me back to operation. (The first time, I promptly went into a battery emergency, because I'd left it in that state so long).

Remember that Android is based on Linux. Sometimes, you get to a situation that you feel can't exist, and panic! When in technical support, I called the Vibrate code a "Distress Signal". In my case, it was recoverable. In your case, I sincerely hope the new phone worked better than the old one.

My question: Is there a list of these "Android Distress Signals"? One would be seven vibrations, while booting (original question by Shadwhawk), and the other my 3 quick vibrates, pause, longer vibrate, pause, 3 quick vibrates, etc.)

Thank you and best regards,

Kenneth Parker, Seattle, WA

Upvote 0
Hello, I see no responses to this. Are there any Android developers here? Is this an Android interface to, say, Linux Kernel Panic? (Note: I also don't find much via Google Search).

Incidentally, I get vibrate errors frequently, but usually can recover by pressing HOME or BACK buttons.

One thing that makes me concerned about Android is my feeling that Apps have full run over all of Android, with the ability to crash the phone. (I sure hope I'm wrong).

Thank you and best regards,

Ken Parker, Seattle, WA

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones