• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Delete/Clear Recent Recipients in messaging

rolo550

Lurker
Does anyone know how to clear the recent recipients list under contacts in messaging? I don't want a constant history...

Better yet is there a way to disable altogether?

Does anyone know how to clear the recent recipients list under contacts in messaging? I don't want a constant history...

I use hand cent for text and it has an option to clear that list.

I need to go look through the infuse forum

I don't think there is a way but I know this came up over there

Touch and hold a person's name and a delete thread option will appear.

Yes this deletes the chat but does not clear the recent contacts list

Create a new message and click on the person icon top right then recent

That is the list that he wants to clear.

OK I found a method that works

Open contacts
Press logs
Menu
View by
Change to sent messages
Menu
Delete

You will have to do the same for received messages

You can also go to the history for the contact and clear that, but again i wish i could just clear all with a button press form the recent menu...or not store recent at all, kind of an incognito thing...

You can also go to the history for the contact and clear that, but again i wish i could just clear all with a button press form the recent menu...or not store recent at all, kind of an incognito thing...

no explanation needed ;)

I will keep looking. There may also be an app to do

I haven't found a way to CLEAR this list, but I have found a way to prevent history items from appearing when you start typing a recipient name. This is useful, for example, if you send often send messages to multiple people at once, but you want to default to sending to a single person. With a full history, you end up getting all the combinations of recipients that include your target recipient, and then you have to scroll to the bottom to find the single recipient you're interested in.

On my HTC Incredible 2:

- Open "Messages" app
- Switch to "All messages" view
- Press "Menu" button
- Select "Settings"
- Select "General"
- Uncheck "Show sent message history" and "Show call history"

This will prevent message history and call history from influencing the autocomplete list.

Hi everyone, i think i have a similar problem, but i didn't really find a solution... so the problem is, when i start a thread/message and press new message, then add recipient, a list comes up, and theres one contact i don't need there to be (my ex's) :) so i have deleted that number from contacts, but it still appears there, and i don't get any options to delete it from there whatsoever... please help :)

I found a way to do it on my galaxy s 2, go to contacts,on the top it has keypad,logs,favorites,go to groups, then click on not assigned,then click on each one u want deleted, press the menu key and there's an option to delete :thumb:

NOTE...this reply is not for Samsung phones in particular. But it might work the same way as my Huawei Mate 9 which is running Android 8.0 Oreo. I hope it works for more phone brands and more Android versions than just Huawei and Android 8.0 Oreo !

Tap "new message" and it brings up your list of recent messaging contacts. Tap the AVATAR to the left of the contact name, not the contact name itself. This will still bring up an info screen for that contact. Then tap the 3-dot "more" menu icon at the bottom of your screen. On my phone it brings up an option to "Erase traces". Tap "Erase traces" or similar menu function/verbiage. It doesn't erase your contact or any contact info, it just erases your record of texting with them. Then tap the previous screen (left) arrow at the top of your screen, then the previous screen (left) arrow at the bottom of your screen and it returns you to your new message screen. It's a bit of a pain in the butt having to erase traces of each recent contact one by one, but it works for me. Of course you can leave frequently texted contacts there so that they always appear when you go to send a new text to them.

This is for samsung galaxy S2, can't know if it's similar on your device.

How to disable the quick contact list when sharing for example a link, a picture or a file by regular text (also contacts from separate communication apps)
Here is 4 simple steps, which may be worth a try - it worked in my case.

1) Go into settings.
2) Go to advanced settings.
3) Click on dual messenger.
4) Turn on use seperate contact list.

If it works for you, it should now show apps in a list, no names or pictures of any recipients.

Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom