• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Desire PVT4, era size 40,000. Won't do nandroid backup, etc.

MrDropC

Lurker
May 15, 2011
I'll try to describe the situation as clear as possible so you know exactly what situation I'm in.

What do I want to do?
I want to root, perform a nandroid backup and flash a Cyanogenmod ROM to my Desire.

My Desire's specifications:
HTC Desire, PVT4 S-ON, era size 40,000.
Runs Android 2.2.3, with HTC Sense added ofcourse.
Basic model, not re-branded by any cellular provider.

What I managed to do so far:
I successfully rooted my phone using the Desire file on the unrEVOked website.
The recovery states that it is ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7
Upon entering recovery-mode, it immediately says this in the feed:
E:Can't find MISC:
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/command
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

When I try to make a nandroid backup:
Backing up boot...
Error while dumping boot image!
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

It does however make a backup file, complete with date and time. Didn't have the guts to try to restore from it, though.

I don't want to try and install Cyanogenmod without having performed a nandroid backup.

I have heard these things might help:
-Unrooting and rooting back with an Amon-RA custom image.
Problem with this: Does unrooting really require a complete factory reset? Because all guides I found so far do state so. Or is there another way to reroot to another recovery? And does the Amon-RA image really work with PVT4 Desire's, era size 40,000?

-Using the Alpharev program to put the device into S-OFF
Problem with this: The file I burned onto the CD won't boot itself (corrupted?). Also I find this a kind of risky approach for this...I really only want to have a custom ROM installed. I don't necessarily need S-OFF. Some guides state I should make a nandroid backup before doing this...but in my situation, I cannot.

So what should I do?
-Try to reroot using the Amon-RA recovery? (and possibly having to factory-reset everything prior to that)
-Try to S-OFF the device with Alpharev? (even though I can't make a backup prior to this and this might be a bit of overkill)

I hope I have provided you with enough information to enable you to help me.
Thank you very much in advance! :)

Reactions: fr4j0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones