• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desparate for some help - lost my video files on my phone...Please help!!

JLogs2981

Lurker
Jul 18, 2013
Using the HTC One S, have had it for over a year and finally decided to import my pictures and video on my PC (HP) - the pictures imported fine, but the videos did not. They loaded to my pc - but aren't working. On Windows Media Player I get the following error message: "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file". When I click on Web Help, I am redirected to a page that says the following:

Windows Media Player error C00D11B1

I tried loading the vids on Quicktime - they play, but no picture or sound.

The big issue here is when I was importing the files on my PC, thinking everything would work ok, I did an incredibly stupid thing and chose to delete the files upon importing. I tried a program called Stellar Phoenix Recovery to try to see if I could recover the video files, but the program didn't recognize my phone.

These videos are extremely important to me as I got the phone around the time my daughter was born and I would be heartbroken if I lost them for good.

Is there any way to fix the videos that I've loaded on my PC or is there a way to have Stellar Phoenix recognize my phone so that I can recover these video files on my phone - or is there another recovery software program that I can use for my HTC One S that will help me recover these video files?

I am not technologically savvy - so any help/advice it would be greatly appreciated if you could provide as much detail as possible in terms of the steps that I need to take to fix this issue.

Please tell me there is a way to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried copying the videos back to your phone to see if they still play there?

If they do, then the files are fine and you probably have a codec issue - basically, your PC doesn't understand the videos' format. To fix this, you can either find a copy of the codec or easier, get a conversion tool that will allow you to convert the video to a format your PC recognises.

A quick google will list video conversion tools. You may struggle to find one that's actually free, however some used to allow a period of time for you to try the software out - maybe that will be enough for you.

If the videos don't play on the phone, you could still try converting them - that might fix the problem. Wouldn't hurt to try as the conversion creates new files and leaves the originals unchanged.

Upvote 0
I tried to copy the video files that were loaded on my computer back to the phone, however, I don't know if I am doing it right. Here's the steps that I took:

1. START
2. COMPUTER
3. SELECTED THE FOLDER WHERE VIDEO FILES ARE LOCATED
4. SELECTED ALL FILES
5. COPY ALL FILES
6. PASTE TO DCIM FOLDER FOR PHONE

When I did the above steps, I am given an error message saying the files "cannot be converted".

Am I doing this correctly - or am I missing a step or doing something wrong?

Also, does it matter at all that the USB cord that I am using is for a Blackberry and my phone is HTC? Lost my original HTC USB cord.

Assuming I'm doing the above steps correctly and the USB cord issue isn't causing the problem - how do I even go about figuring out this codec issue? Where on the internet do I look and what codec would I be looking for?

Sorry - I'm not up on technology but these video files are incredibly important to me...any further help/advice is appreciated.

Thx

Upvote 0
I'm guessing this is the same problem you had earlier, and so it's actually a One S that you have rather than a One, and that after copying the files you deleted them from the phone (as that's what you said you did in your first post). As Moody says, did you get anywhere with any of those suggestions? I can't think why the brand of cable should matter (though that's not a guarantee than the cable wasn't bad), so hoping that the problem is the computer decoding the files properly was my first response too.

Recovery software won't recognise the phone drive because it's not mounted as USB mass storage (android switched to using "MTP" with version 4). So that's expected behaviour. Unfortunately I don't know of any solution to this - it's just a very unpleasant side-effect of a decision Google made a couple of years ago (there are positives too, but personally I'd rather have this option!).

Also if the files were deleted in July and you've been using the phone since then it's likely that a lot of the data would have been overwritten by now, so a lot would be lost even if you could run recovery software.

I'm sorry that's not what you want to hear, but it's all I've got that's relevant to this problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones