• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help DI getting REAL hot and quickly losing charge

JCUMV

Jan 17, 2010
Hello all,
I did a search on the subject above, but sooo much came up it was daunting. Been on the Forum here for a long time and pretty saavy on with my DI. I'm running 2.3.4 (not rooted). Have had the phone for almost 2 years now and have had NO issues.

About a week ago, I noticed that my phone would sparatically get real hot and die in about an hour. It happens every other day or so. I'm used to easily getting a full day or more out my DI and my phone habits haven't changed recently. I do not have a Task Killer and have never used one. I also have not DL'd any new apps in about 6 months.

It seems like some process is sticking and killing the battery, and making the phone real hot in the process. I've done a soft reset (battery pull) and had no improvement. I've never done a factory reset on the phone, and frankly don't know if that will help.

So I thought I'd come here and see if you all had any advice for me.

Thanks!

A factory reset would most likely solve the issue, but that can be like chopping off your arm because you have arthritis in your thumb.

You can try downloading "system panel" from the market, it can keep a history of what is using your processor (paid version). Free version allows real time monitoring of your processor. Your problem may be from a recent app update, rather than a new app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...1bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwibmV4dGFwcC5zeXN0ZW1wYW5lbCJd..

It could also just be a sign your battery is shot.

Ps don't worry about the search feature of the site, just a recommendation, not a requirement.

Upvote 0
sdrawkcab hit on most everything already but IMO the options/problems are:

-May need new battery
-Rouge app. Perhaps try another app to track it down...I use OS Monitor but System Panel isn't much different. You can try using a logcat collecting app too. Hopefully they work without root, I can't remember.
-factory reset may be necessary
-sd card can have a bad file on it. Seen this before. Try transferring all contents of SD card to PC destop. If anything fails to transfer...as in corrupt file...get rid of it b/c that's likely your problem.
-hardware issue, non-repairable. Hopefully not the case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones