• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Disable Voice but not 3G

keyneom

Jul 21, 2011
Does anyone know how or even if it is possible to disable the regular voice signal but leave the 3g enabled? I didn't think it would be such an uncommon question but I couldn't find anything for this in my google searching.

Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

I would like to disable voice but not 3G. Here's why.

Verizon doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data. I thought I could get around this by using a third party app like Google Voice. However, I see that a new change to Google Voice is "Does not require data connectivity for making calls to all numbers you previously called". So my thought is, if I forcibly disable voice maybe it will use my data connection. I *want* it to use my data connection, that is my use for it!

I would like simultaneous voice and data because I frequently talk on the phone while traveling, but this inhibits the data connection, which means my GPS position reports can't be updated on my server which means anybody I'm interested in sharing my position with can't see the latest position if I'm on the phone. Ridiculous!

There are other good reasons too... anything where you want to send data over 3G and don't want a phone call wrecking things.

Upvote 0
I would like to disable voice but not 3G. Here's why.

Verizon doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data. I thought I could get around this by using a third party app like Google Voice. However, I see that a new change to Google Voice is "Does not require data connectivity for making calls to all numbers you previously called". So my thought is, if I forcibly disable voice maybe it will use my data connection. I *want* it to use my data connection, that is my use for it!

I would like simultaneous voice and data because I frequently talk on the phone while traveling, but this inhibits the data connection, which means my GPS position reports can't be updated on my server which means anybody I'm interested in sharing my position with can't see the latest position if I'm on the phone. Ridiculous!

There are other good reasons too... anything where you want to send data over 3G and don't want a phone call wrecking things.

Have you tried Groove IP?? I use it at home with WiFi (I get zero bars with Boost Mobile at home). I forward my Boost calls to my Google Voice number before I get home. Then I can recieve calls fine while at home. I disable forwarding when I leave home. It works perfect on WiFi. I have also used it on 3G and it works very good, but sometimes you get an echo if you don't have a strong enough 3g signal. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi there, I use skype and webex on my tab for official calls and meetings online. During which if I receive voice calls, the online meeting calls get disconnected. Hence it would be good if I can disable and enable voice. Please suggest any app that can disable voice alone.

Titanium backup can 'freeze' the app until you need it. this will do what you need. When you want to use it again, just 'defrost' it

Upvote 0
Oh DUDE, I just remembered something. Go to Settings>Call Settings> Check DDTM.

Its suppose to send calls to voicemail when you have a live DATA connection.

Cheers. Let us know if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion. But DDTM is unavailable on ics. It was available on my honeycomb. But I read here that its an hidden option in ics. Any idea how to uniden this option in Samsung tabs.
or even for this, the device needs to be rooted?

"DO NOT DISTURB" / ICS stay connected - PPCGeeks

Upvote 0
Ok I think I figured it out. Open call settings in phone app and call barring in advanced setting. Enter 0000 as the password activated "bar all incoming calls". So the caller would hear only busy ring on calling. I can continue using data connection without interruption. Also I can make calls and send sms. I am yet to check if my internet call disconnect on receiving sms as well. Will keep posted. This is a pretty straight forward thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones