• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Disabling CPU Rendering=Better Everyday Performance and Batterylife?

Just installed it, rebooted my Triumph (ROM Cyanogen Mod 7 20120819) without problems and used it since 10 minutes. It seems to work and my phone seems to be more responsive and snappier (subjectively) particularly in scrolling but did not see any change using Quadrant.

Ok, I tried this.
So far I haven't seen any change.

I just renamed libGLES_android.so and commented out the first line of egl.cfg, reverted permissions and then made the suggested edit in the build.prop ( changed dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y to dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y,o=v,u=y) and rebooted.

Quadrant didn't show any change, either.

Jeremy-Clarkson-scummy-man.jpg

yeah i didnt notice anything to be honest thats why i wanted to ask you guys lol games run fine as far as i can see i guess it cant hurt if there isnt no downside is there anyway to comferm it even works on our device

I'm running Cm7. Kinda makes me wonder if we have proper drivers for hardware rendering. If not, maybe that would account for the lack of difference... (ie: nothing to disable)... I don't know, just thinking out loud.

I'm gonna try it on CM9 when I get around to flashing back to that, since I think it uses the updated drivers.

well I flashed the zip but forgot to add the prop files and it is running my CPU at 90% constantly when rendering my launcher. I'll have to change it after work. Until then I leave any other app that isn't CPU intensive to keep my battery alive

I think the point is that the gpu with do everything faster using less power the the cpu.
^ This
... while freeing up CPU cycles for things it needs to do.

After reading the original thread more thoroughly, I think this would be redundant in CM9. Should get best results in Cm7.

I like the theory... wish I could get some results.

I was thinking that since I keep animations and crap that slows things down disabled, maybe there's just less room for improvement?

I dunno about you guys, but my Triumph is now iPhone-smooth with this patch (and the build.prop tweaks) on MTDEV-CM7 20120915 with Go Launcher. I'm also overclocked to 1.5 GHz, but that doesn't really seem to matter anymore in terms of smoothness, it just makes the screen respond a bit quicker.

Back
Top Bottom