• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do I need to keep all these apps on here now?

Kelemvor

Howdy.

So I have a stock Optimus V that I rooted. I didn't install any new ROMs or anything. I really only rooted so I could use the Wireless Tether feature, which I really only use every once in a while.

Anyway, after rooting, I now have apps like:
Busybox Free - 5 megs
Rom Manager - 3 megs
Superuser - 2 megs
Titanim - 2 megs
Root Uninstaller - 2 megs

Do I need to keep all these apps on here? I'm assuming Superuser is a yes, but what about the rest? Do I need busybox and rom manager if I'm not using a custom rom? Do I need Titanium if I'm not backing up?

My phone is constantly low on space since it has such a tiny amount of memory so I'm looking to free up as much space as possible.

OR would I be better off to install something to give me Gingerbread? Would that remove some other crap to end me up with more space in the end?

Mainly just trying to free up as much space as I can while still having Wireless Tether available for me for when I need it.

Thanks.

Install backside cm7.2....it's a stable gingerbread. If you want ics bobzhome's cm9 rc1 is what I run. It has a2sd built into it. It automatically links to a preset sd-ext so memory is no problem at all

Install backside cm7.2....it's a stable gingerbread. If you want ics bobzhome's cm9 rc1 is what I run. It has a2sd built into it. It automatically links to a preset sd-ext so memory is no problem at all

Never really thought about ICS on the V. How does it run? Any real benefit over Froyo or Gingerbread?

It is my daily driver. It runs great...there are a few things that don't work. Voice search, and the occasional youtube glitch is really the only thing I ever notice. As far as benefits.....it is extremely fast and the battery life is awesome. This is a beta....so there are expected bugs. I used CM7 for a few months with link2sd. The built in a2sd feature is the biggest perk. I have 88 apps installed and have 105MB of free internal storage.

It is my daily driver. It runs great...there are a few things that don't work. Voice search, and the occasional youtube glitch is really the only thing I ever notice. As far as benefits.....it is extremely fast and the battery life is awesome. This is a beta....so there are expected bugs. I used CM7 for a few months with link2sd. The built in a2sd feature is the biggest perk. I have 88 apps installed and have 105MB of free internal storage.

Hmm. I would have through putting a fancier OS on an older phone would make it run slower. You're saying that's not the case? hmm. Might have to give that a try.

I don't use youtube and rarely use voice search so neither of those matter to me. I mainly use Amazon store, google play music, and a small game or two. Nothing major.

Does the built in A2SD allow apps to be moved that can't normally be moved? I use the actual App2SD app to move things but I'm always around 20 megs free with few apps installed since Amazon app store is 13 megs, Google maps is 13, Google Play Music is 8 - 12, swiftkey 3 is 10, google play store is 10...

Just those adds up to 58 which is almsot half the memory right there...

I'll look into that.

Thanks.

I haven't figured out how to move apps that aren't allowed to move.....I haven't needed to. I am overclocked at 480 min 806 max with a smartassv2 governor. I have no lag anywhere!

So I found BobzHome's stuff here:
https://sites.google.com/site/bobzhomeroms/vm670ics

I have a 2 gig SD card in my phone. No idea what's on it but I can probably copy it to my PC and format it as there's nothing overly important.

However I don't see any instructions on the site above as to how to install the software. Could you point me to a tutorial of some sort by chance? ;)

What's an EXT partition on the SD card?

Can I just follow the steps here but substitute in his Zip file isntead of the one mentioned in the thread?
http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html

And since I'm already rooted, can I just start at step 4? Rooted a long time ago and don't remember the steps I went through. heh.

So I found BobzHome's stuff here:
https://sites.google.com/site/bobzhomeroms/vm670ics

I have a 2 gig SD card in my phone. No idea what's on it but I can probably copy it to my PC and format it as there's nothing overly important.

However I don't see any instructions on the site above as to how to install the software. Could you point me to a tutorial of some sort by chance? ;)

What's an EXT partition on the SD card?

Can I just follow the steps here but substitute in his Zip file isntead of the one mentioned in the thread?
http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html

And since I'm already rooted, can I just start at step 4? Rooted a long time ago and don't remember the steps I went through. heh.

You can, but make sure usb debugging is on. Make a nandroid in recovery before you wipe! Just wipe as it states in the forum....flash your cm9 rom zip file. Flash your gapps zip. Reboot and enjoy your ics goodness! Your first boot will take around 8 minutes....don't worry. For the EXT partition....http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...l-things-root-guide-updated-06-14-2012-a.html there is a tutorial on link2sd. It will walk you through partitioning your memory card. I personally would not use anything less than a 4gb class 4 card. I used my stock 2gb card and it lasted about a week before it was toasted!!
Get Titanium backup or my backup root to backup your apps+data. Don't restore system files! (I like my backup root....matter of preferance)
Most important things to remember:
NEVER use rom manager with the OV
ALWAYS make a nandroid before wiping.
ALWAYS back your sd card up somewhere! I keep my sd contents on my computer and on a thumb drive. When I toasted my stock card I did not have a backup and lost everything.
Check your recovery....VM670NH is recommended.

Edit: Also, download AFV (android file verifier by scary alien) free from the play store. After making your nandroid backup, verify it with AFV.....once you get the verification, then, and only then, proceed.

Read everything that you can and if you have any questions ask! It is hard to brick the v....but all it takes is one wrong move! There are a lot of roms for the v, find one whose performance you like... don't go by looks..... .you can customize!
Leslieanne's wipers are a good tool to have. They are in the all thing's root guide.

Like sellers said there is a ton of different roms ranging from making the ov look exactly like the iPhone, gingerbread roms, mirage rom which is strictly performance based, ics roms, and etc. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have, and we'll help you answer them promptly. JUST always make a backup before you do any kind of modding on the phone. And always wipe the necessary cache files. Make sure you use the correct gapps file that it states to use because you'll get a server error when you try to launch google play store if you don't.

Well, since I'm not really having issues with my phone, and I just want to free up more space, should I just be looking into the link2sd thing instead of looking to completely redo the phone?

I have no important data on the phone and no important data on the SD card, but just have the original 2G SD card. My overall goal is to just free up more space if possible.

You could just do link2sd....It is easier and quicker to just toss a new rom on it! Not to mention the fact that it is a bit addicting....

1st..... GET RID OF ROM MANAGER!
I can't believe I'm the first to say it here. Rom manager can cause major problems with this phone you'd do best to get rid of it ASAP. Did you use it for anything? Did you install a custom recovery with it? If you used it to install a custom recovery you should flash a different one.

I wrote the sticky "The Truth About ROM Manager". Before you delete it read the sticky. It is good for a couple of thing's but nothing worth paying for the premium license like I did.
I am fixing to update the sticky as there is a Froyo ROM that can be download and installed just fine with ROM Manager (even with the V's with the Hitachi screen and drivers) . The recovery should not be used if you have the Hitachi screen, rebooting after installing the supplied recovery will cause a black screen (details on how to fix the black screen is covered). Renaming, deleting a backup, and backing up your ROM can be done. Fix permissions works as well. You must have a ClockworkMod recovery or a modified version of it in order for any functions to work.
Before listening to members that base there comment's on speculation, hearsay, and fear check out the info in the Stickies and the All Things Root Guide sticky. This info will either confirm or deny the truth of the advice given.
BusyBox is needed for a lot of rooted functions and is installed on the system (this takes up no app space). The installer can be deleted. The Superuser app must remain as it allows apps root privilege's (like the tethering app your using) . Titanium backup is used just to back up your apps if you plan on flashing a new ROM, so yes you can delete it. Although it does come in handy to run an app backup just before messing with your system (in case you have to restore your nandroid which doesn't have you apps updated).

If you haven't done so already it is extremely important to install a custom recovery and then make a backup of your system/ROM in the custom recovery (this is called a nandroid backup). Now that your rooted something could happen that could cause force closures or system freeze's. A nandroid is like a restore point on a PC. Mess something up.....no problem, just restore your nandroid.
No nandroid backup, a possible nightmare that requires a tone of time and a great deal of teeth gnashing to straighten out.
We all mess up, even seasoned modders, a nandroid is our best friend.

Back
Top Bottom