• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you guys LIKE your Eris?

Maybe it's a silly question, but I have serious envy of my wife's new Incredible and I am not upgrade eligible until November. I can get my hands on an Eris for $100. I currently have an Imagio which is a damn good phone but I like all the apps available for Android.

Is it worth buying the Eris to tide me over? I have heard mixed reviews of the OTA 2.1 upgrade but all in all is it fast and really functional? The demo in the store seemed really quick actually.

I appreciate any insight.

Brian

I wish I could get mine back! I shattered the screen on the Incredible because I'm a clutz, and my daughter refuses to relinquish the Eris. I'm using my old Omnia right now because Asurion does not have any incredibles to replace mine with. They are "backordered".

no. Here is why :

1. phone app sucks - slow and laggy as hell
2. Interface is too damn laggy. Sadly this is a problem on even the high end droid phones
3. Sound cuts in and out on me.

If you REALLY want an android phone - I'd recommend the HTC Incredible.

no. Here is why :

If you REALLY want an android phone - I'd recommend the HTC Incredible.

Just don't drop the Incredible. It is fairly fragile. Mine hit the ground from about waist high and the screen busted. The Eris has been dropped multiple times...even bounced a bit...and not a single scratch! I like both phones very much.

Mine was always kind of jerky and slow, and I was one of the people that developed the silent bug, but I'm learning that my phone is the exception to the rule, and mine is getting replaced, so if you don't have any of those issues, I'm sure it will be as great as any other phone.

I think you are going to find that the Android phones will basically all be the same unless you get into hardcore gaming on it. If you are going that route, then I'd think you'd want something with a keyboard: Game Gripper puts your Droid's D-pad where it belongs (video) -- Engadget ... But I think the number of people who are in it for the gaming are on the low end...

If you are buying something at the beginning of a contract, you'd probably want to go with the incredible, or something newer just for future updates, but you will pay a small fortune for this too.

So in summary for your situation? Why not? (although I wonder if you can warranty it against defects? If it's one of the LV3 or silent bug models, you may be in for a surprise)

My Eris is awesome. I love the touch screen keyboard and it isn't that hard to get used to surprisingly. The Internet it comes with is still good, even though it is not as fast as the Incredible. Most of all, the price is awesome. If I hadn't gone with the Eris, I would not have been able to get the car charger (probably the most important accessory that you can get, since the battery life is a little small), or a case, or a protective covering for your screen.

Overall, I would rate the Eris 10 starts out of 10.

Good luck my friend,
Tom

Don't like the phone at all after using it.

I feel after rooting the Eris, the phone is a totally different experience and it's bearable now. I recommend rooting any Android device. The results are worth the transformation.

Incredible is not that incredible, but faster. Apparently the same issues plaguing the Eris are plaguing the Incredible.

My Eris is awesome. I love the touch screen keyboard and it isn't that hard to get used to surprisingly. The Internet it comes with is still good, even though it is not as fast as the Incredible. Most of all, the price is awesome. If I hadn't gone with the Eris, I would not have been able to get the car charger (probably the most important accessory that you can get, since the battery life is a little small), or a case, or a protective covering for your screen.

Overall, I would rate the Eris 10 starts out of 10.

Good luck my friend,
Tom

Wow, I'm totally surprised by this post. How long have you had the phone? Give it more than a day and then tell me how you like it.

Don't like the phone at all after using it.

I feel after rooting the Eris, the phone is a totally different experience and it's bearable now. I recommend rooting any Android device. The results are worth the transformation.

Incredible is not that incredible, but faster. Apparently the same issues plaguing the Eris are plaguing the Incredible.
What did you root it with, and what are your complaints post-root?

Before root: borderline unbearable
After root: much more bearable, but beginning to experience the same hardware-related issues again.

Overall, I'm feeling like HTC products may be poorly produced. The Eris obviously has hardware issues. It sounds like the Incredible also has hardware issues and is more fragile than the Eris. I'm holding reservations on whether to buy another HTC product until after the EVO comes out. If it's the same hardware issues cropping up again for the EVO, I'm never buying another HTC product.

What did you root it with, and what are your complaints post-root?

I rooted the replacement phone manually. The automatic root program was iffy so I decided to do it the hard way.

POST-Root? No complaints so far. The phone is a better phone after. No joke. I hated my Eris SOOOOO much before. Now the phone is faster (overclocked), unique custom designs, less bloatware, more storage space for apps on SD, better battery life (as far as I can tell), and have not had any of the bugs yet that I experienced with 1.5 or V3 leak( The best part about root, and now believe the extra stuff that comes with the vzn build are reasons why the phone has so many problems), I can tether wirelessly or directly, customize customize customize.

The only thing I notice different between 1.5 and root 2.1 is the signal bars never reach full. Not sure what it is about 2.1 that doesn't give the phone a better signal. Although, the values set to indicate the signal strength could be incorrect. Which is why most, if not all, people get 3 bars instead of 4 like they did in 1.5.

I rooted the replacement phone manually. The automatic root program was iffy so I decided to do it the hard way.

POST-Root? No complaints so far. The phone is a better phone after. No joke. I hated my Eris SOOOOO much before. Now the phone is faster (not even overclocked), unique custom designs, less bloatware, more storage space for apps on SD, better battery life (as far as I can tell), and have not had any of the bugs yet that I experienced with 1.5 or V3 leak( The best part about root, and now believe the extra stuff that comes with the vzn build are reasons why the phone has so many problems), I can tether wirelessly or directly, customize customize customize.

The only thing I notice different between 1.5 and root 2.1 is the signal bars never reach full. Not sure what it is about 2.1 that doesn't give the phone a better signal. Although, the values set to indicate the signal strength could be incorrect. Which is why most, if not all, people get 3 bars instead of 4 like they did in 1.5.
Good to know as I will be getting a replacement, but what I was asking (or meant to ask) was what ROM you rooted to?

Good to know as I will be getting a replacement, but what I was asking (or meant to ask) was what ROM you rooted to?

Sense-able 3.1 by jamezelle.

Great ROM, stable and fast OC 710mhz(which you can do with CPUset if you wanted to). I thought it wasn't since jamezelle told me it wasn't but it actually is oc'd.

I wanted to try evil eris but I'm satisfied with this ROM. Gonna use it until I get bored.

e377e638.png

Back
Top Bottom