• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you have call quality/call dropping?

Do you have any problems with call quality and/or calls dropping?

  • Yes

    Votes: 24 36.4%
  • No

    Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Once or twice but nothing serious.

    Votes: 9 13.6%

  • Total voters
    66
Uh, I take it driving into Yosemite Park doesn't count. Only drop calls are to my friend with an iphone. Also other than that never since we switched from Sprint to Verizon.
 
It's been almost a month since I got my Incredible. I love everything about it except the call quality. It was horrible! I could never hear or understand what the other person was saying. The other line was always breaking up. Oh, and I got one dropped call with this phone. I got so irritated and finally decided to go in to VZW today to return it. :mad:

I went in, talked to the same guy who ordered it for me, and told him about my issues. He told me that the new software update will fix it (which I've already read/heard on this board). He said they were going to roll out the update in July but it was pushed back because right before it was supposed to launch, they discovered the call quality issue so they delayed it to find a fix for it. He said the new software is now set to be launched at the end of the month/early next month but he didn't give an exact date. He asked if I did the *228 thing and I said I did. He then said there's one more thing he could try and it might help. He took my phone and he started to go through it but then we got to talking and I didn't pay attention to what he did to my phone (if he even did anything). He didn't mention whether or not he did either. After talking to him for a while, I decided to sleep on it first. Anyway, all I have to say is ever since I left VZW I have not had an issue with the phone. My calls are clear now! :D I don't know if he actually "fixed" it or it was a coincidence but I'm really happy. We'll see how it works tomorrow. I sure don't want to jinx it.

Okay, sorry I just rambled on but just thought I'll share my story regarding call quality! If you read all that, thanks! Lol.
 
Nice, I thought you were ready to leave, glad to hear everythings frosty, otherwise a good flaming would be in order. JK!
 
Mainly call quality for me, i.e. not hearing syllables, parts of words, etc.

I'm on my third Inc (manu. date 7/15) and the previous devices had the same issue. IIRC, the first Inc manu. date was May, and the 2nd Inc's manu. date was June 15th (don't know why that popped in my head :rolleyes:).

The problems manifests whenever I call another cell; landline is fine.
 
It's been almost a month since I got my Incredible. I love everything about it except the call quality. It was horrible! I could never hear or understand what the other person was saying. The other line was always breaking up. Oh, and I got one dropped call with this phone. I got so irritated and finally decided to go in to VZW today to return it. :mad:

I went in, talked to the same guy who ordered it for me, and told him about my issues. He told me that the new software update will fix it (which I've already read/heard on this board). He said they were going to roll out the update in July but it was pushed back because right before it was supposed to launch, they discovered the call quality issue so they delayed it to find a fix for it. He said the new software is now set to be launched at the end of the month/early next month but he didn't give an exact date. He asked if I did the *228 thing and I said I did. He then said there's one more thing he could try and it might help. He took my phone and he started to go through it but then we got to talking and I didn't pay attention to what he did to my phone (if he even did anything). He didn't mention whether or not he did either. After talking to him for a while, I decided to sleep on it first. Anyway, all I have to say is ever since I left VZW I have not had an issue with the phone. My calls are clear now! :D I don't know if he actually "fixed" it or it was a coincidence but I'm really happy. We'll see how it works tomorrow. I sure don't want to jinx it.

Okay, sorry I just rambled on but just thought I'll share my story regarding call quality! If you read all that, thanks! Lol.
Verizon and HTC have known about the call quality issue for a long time ... before July.
 
My official answer is "no".

The funny thing is that it looks like I have signal issues, I almost always only have 1 bar. But my call quality is fine. I have never missed a call, I hear just fine, they hear me just fine and I haven't dropped a call.

Minus a few attempts at using the phone in a basement bedroom that's completely underground with no windows. :) I CAN use it in our Metro tunnels though!
 
First off, signal bars on the Inc are on crack- please do not refer to the bars. Even HTC techs diss the bar accuracy. They also confirm the garbled call quality and voice drop-outs. Both the HTC and VZW techs (even store reps) all word it the same way: "Garbled call quality and voice dropouts". The issue is NOT in people's minds.

The problem is not "dropped calls" but the voices drop out and then come back (known issue that VZW reps, even at stores- and HTC confirm). People may think the call dropped out, but it is the actual audio of the voice. Signal and call is still there, but people will hang up, thinking the call was cut off. I guess this is not much different than the actual call cutting off, really.

Point is the call quality, more than not, is poor- regardless of dBm strenth. Even calls to VZW can suck so bad, even THEY will comment on it during the call!

I agree with other views that the Inc is a great device, but weak as a phone. If the "whenever" update fixes the call issues, the Inc will be king :) Well, until the dual cores hit at the end of year ;)

BTW, HTC and Verizon reps confirmed the garbled call and voic drop outs in early JUNE- not July, so that is not the reason for delays. In fact, the garbled call and dropout issues were the reason for the planned maintenance update in the first place. People suggest it was delayed due to Froyo releasing, but that did not stop EVO and X releasing maintenance updates for issues and those phones came out AFTER the Inc.
 
First off, signal bars on the Inc are on crack- please do not refer to the bars. Even HTC techs diss the bar accuracy. They also confirm the garbled call quality and voice drop-outs.

I agree. I was really worried when I first got the phone and noticed the "poor signal" (aka - low bars), mostly because of all the reports I saw on this board before getting the phone.

Now I don't even pay attention to it. My calls are fine so I don't care what the phone is reporting.


I remember when Apple came out and said that their "problem" was simply the phone software reporting the signal strenth incorrectly and a software update would fix it. My fiance and I joked that Apple and HTC must have hired the same software guy! Except that we got the opposite issue, reporting low strenth when it's actually great :)
 
Back
Top Bottom