• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone really get any benefit from updated PRLs?

ebnight

I've dabbled with updating my PRL, and had a couple issues with losing all signal completely. I'm planning on trying again with the newer CM7 method, and was wondering what PRL you used and what speed advantages you got out of it.

Thanks

I'm on the latest no real noticable difference in my area Sacramento CA

I would assume updated PRL's are unique to each state... I looked for one for Michigan but I can't find anything that shows that. Any hints?

Kind of, but every prl includes all geographic regions.
Look through the analysis of one of the latest ones, and find your region.
You can see what sprint's roaming partners are/were for each area.
Some areas /some PRLs allowed roaming with Verizon, for instance. In my area, it's Alltel.
It's highly debatable if you will get any benefit from it, since VM doesn't allow roaming...
Having said that, I have personally seen my phone roam, with digital roaming icon in notification bar and verified tower usage with OpenSignal. No notable speed advantage.
It MAY help if you commonly visit areas where there is no VM service.

EDIT:
did a quick search on a prl and it looks like Michigan is in "Geography Area - 11" and "Geography Area - 12". I used MI with a space in front to search in page, once I loaded one of the analysis documents. You could use one of the geography areas I mentioned above for a quicker search. Just do a search on page from your browser.

Kind of, but every prl includes all geographic regions.
Look through the analysis of one of the latest ones, and find your region.
You can see what sprint's roaming partners are/were for each area.
Some areas /some PRLs allowed roaming with Verizon, for instance. In my area, it's Alltel.
It's highly debatable if you will get any benefit from it, since VM doesn't allow roaming...
Having said that, I have personally seen my phone roam, with digital roaming icon in notification bar and verified tower usage with OpenSignal. No notable speed advantage.
It MAY help if you commonly visit areas where there is no VM service.

EDIT:
did a quick search on a prl and it looks like Michigan is in "Geography Area - 11" and "Geography Area - 12". I used MI with a space in front to search in page, once I loaded one of the analysis documents. You could use one of the geography areas I mentioned above for a quicker search. Just do a search on page from your browser.

While you may have been connected to a roaming tower, you were not using it. You're ESN prevents it. If you tried to make a call while connected to that tower you would have been prompted to enter a credit card number.

Connecting to a roaming tower is not a big deal. Sending a signal over it is, and cannot be done unless you change your ESN (which IIRC is fairly illegal to do)

Changing a PRL will only help if the new PRL has new Sprint tower locations that aren't in your PRL on your phone. It completely depends on your area and if Sprint is putting new towers up there. No matter what PRL you have you will never be roaming

Changing a PRL will only help if the new PRL has new Sprint tower locations that aren't in your PRL on your phone. It completely depends on your area and if Sprint is putting new towers up there. No matter what PRL you have you will never be roaming

Sprint tower locations have nothing to do with prl. If sprint puts in new towers, you will use them automatically. They are not defined in prl.

prl defines roaming partners / frequencies, thus the name.
Preferred Roaming List

Back
Top Bottom