• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 3 OTA Reports/Issues

I did the official OTA from my phone this morning. I'm quoting my previous message to compare the new version.

System version: 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US
Build number: 5.5.1_84_D3G-55
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-g790a33c

this official OTA is definitely identical to that one leaks weeks ago. Sadly from the looks of things, they totally ignored the Swype spanish bug, (all help prompts remain in Spanish). I thought for sure they would have fixed this obvious mistake. Verizon/Moto fail.... But, on the bright side, the camera rocks, and so does battery life :). Not a big issue on the swype, but it does show that they were careless about bugs.

Upvote 0
When I saw the update was available, I was at 10% too. So, I told it to wait a bit, plugged the phone in to a wall charger, and then said, "Go ahead now."

It worked, but I think there was some time even while it was plugged in but updating that the charging was not happening, because when it came back after the update it seemed just a bit lower in charge. It DID retain the battery usage plot across the update, oddly, and once it restarted it began charging back up faster than I have ever seen it do before (slope steeply up). Since then, it has been sitting at 90% for hours even after a 30 minute phone call while wifi was running too. I think its better, maybe even a LOT better.

Glenn
About the battery, with the original FW, the battery indicator showed different levels based on how much battery was left. For example, at 90% left, there was a little slice. At 70%, it was a bigger slice. Now when it was at 90%, the icon in the top right still looked like 100%. At 80%, it showed the slice. I'm at 70% but it still just shows that slice. I guess maybe that battery icon is only updated every 20%? :thinking:

this official OTA is definitely identical to that one leaks weeks ago. Sadly from the looks of things, they totally ignored the Swype spanish bug, (all help prompts remain in Spanish). I thought for sure they would have fixed this obvious mistake. Verizon/Moto fail.... But, on the bright side, the camera rocks, and so does battery life :). Not a big issue on the swype, but it does show that they were careless about bugs.
At first, I thought the Swype Spanish bug was for the default setting, so I changed it to English. But Swype for custom words still doesn't work, so I'm basically re-adding my custom words to the dictionary, which it says "Agregar <<my custom word>> al diccionario". I agree that VZW/Moto was pretty careless about not fixing that. I wonder if they'd bother addressing it or just wait until the next firmware update (maybe another quarter from now?). :thinking:

Upvote 0
I did the official OTA from my phone this morning. I'm quoting my previous message to compare the new version.

System version: 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US
Build number: 5.5.1_84_D3G-55
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-g790a33c

So, just going off of the system and kernel version as well as the build number this Official OTA is the exact same as the leaked one. I just checked.

Upvote 0
My D3 just updated its self to 5.6.890.en.US. I did not know this was coming. It just showed up out of the blue.

It's only been a couple of hours, but so far I've notices a few things. Firstly, the home screen does redraw faster. The camera definitely takes pictures more quickly! And maybe I'm jumping the gun, but Quick Office hasn't been displaying it's typical bugs.

Hoping for extended battery life!

-Jonathan

Upvote 0
I do agree that the in use battery life seems the same, however the standby battery life seems much much better. I lost only 10 % overnight where as before I lost 20-30% if I left the phone off the charger over night. Nice to know that if a charger isn't around, I wont wake to a dead phone.

I definitely noticed a large improvement in camera speed, and the removal of the blue tint.

I also had the sticky key issue with the hardware keyboard and so far that seems to be taken care of.

My largest pet peeve was the screen redraw lag, which is basically completely taken care of with the update. So my biggest issues with the D3 have been handled.

Only issue I have with the phone is that before and after the update, when playing music over my Sound Fly via blue tooth, the music cuts out every few seconds. I need to do some testing to find out if that is even the phone causing the problem, but I was hoping the issue would be gone after the update.

Enjoy the bug fixes!

Upvote 0
Updated yesterday morning.

I was using K9 Mail, so after the update since my EMail was updating - I used ALOT of battery. I got rid of K9 last night and started using the new EMail (soooo much better!)... I even downloaded a couple of extra apps... and today, the battery life was SIGNIFICANTLY better! Ive been using my phone all day and normally Id be at 20% or lower and Im still at 60%!

Now for the cons:

- My battery indicator lags now. It didnt before, but thankfully I have a battery level indicator on my weather widget.
- The camera does not have the blue tint and normal pictures capture faster.... but for my work I take lots of pictures of documents and close-up text; these do take noticeably longer now to focus.

Overall Im very happy with my phone now with the update. Cant wait to use navigation and see if my GPS has improved!!

Upvote 0
Since the update from a few days ago, my phone suffered its first reboot. It happened yesterday while I took a picture w/ the FFC. I then took another picture w/ the FFC and it was just fine, so hopefully it was just a 1-time anomaly.

Yes, the GPS is much improved and locks on much more quickly. Battery life is only improved in idle/sleep mode since it's not wasting its processor for cell standby and phone idle; I've pretty much come to that conclusion in just a few days.

Upvote 0
My first few pictures took well but after that I'm back to lag when snapping a picture. Up to 5 seconds with just enough time you spend wondering if the pic took or not and end up moving the camera and getting a blurry picture.

Other than that battery life is OUTSTANDING and better than my D1 ever was (which was all I ever hoped for). I've gone 15 hours already and still had 60% battery left and that is not pure idle time either.

Pics are less blue but the app slowed down to unusable. Running third party now since Moto can't seem to get this one thing right....yet.

Upvote 0
About the battery, with the original FW, the battery indicator showed different levels based on how much battery was left. For example, at 90% left, there was a little slice. At 70%, it was a bigger slice. Now when it was at 90%, the icon in the top right still looked like 100%. At 80%, it showed the slice. I'm at 70% but it still just shows that slice. I guess maybe that battery icon is only updated every 20%?

bebbles said:
- My battery indicator lags now. It didnt before, but thankfully I have a battery level indicator on my weather widget.

I'm seeing this, too & it's very annoying! What reason would they have had for radically changing the display? To give us the illusion of lasting longer?? :mad:

Sooo, the widgets just poll the device, for its idea of the battery's charge. Meaning, they're still accurate after the update, riiight?
(Man with two wacthes, never sure what time it is...) :thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm seeing this, too & it's very annoying! What reason would they have had for radically changing the display? To give us the illusion of lasting longer?? :mad:

Sooo, the widgets just poll the device, for its idea of the battery's charge. Meaning, they're still accurate after the update, riiight?
(Man with two wacthes, never sure what time it is...) :thinking:

It seems that the battery is accurate, however they certainly did change the way the battery icon displays levels. I agree that it is probably to make it appear that the battery lasts longer. Before it seemed that the battery would loose a slice at 90 then 70, 50, 30... (10% then 20 after) where as now it just changes every 20% (80, 60, 40...) so we may nave lost a bit of reporting too. I use a battery widget as well, that shows the percentage so I just use the widget for gross info and get more fined tuned info from the widget as needed.

Upvote 0
It seems that the battery is accurate, however they certainly did change the way the battery icon displays levels. I agree that it is probably to make it appear that the battery lasts longer. Before it seemed that the battery would loose a slice at 90 then 70, 50, 30... (10% then 20 after) where as now it just changes every 20% (80, 60, 40...) so we may nave lost a bit of reporting too. I use a battery widget as well, that shows the percentage so I just use the widget for gross info and get more fined tuned info from the widget as needed.

I use the "Battery Left" widget. Prior to the update, it was pretty accurate (always matched the notification bar's amount, but with greater precision).

However, it's currently showing 28%, while the notification bar looks like only one or two slices are gone.
Earlier, Widget: 46% ... Bar: down one slice.

Maybe the app needs recalibrating?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones