• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid Charge to Nexus...back to Droid Charge

dman2275

Nov 5, 2009
Hi everyone.

I thought I would share my experiences with the members here since I always read posts (on numerous forums) asking the same question. Should I buy the Nexus or not? I had been going back and forth since the Nexus came out in December on whether to buy one or wait for the next best thing.

I pulled the plug on February 29th and picked one up for $149 plus the extended battery. A smoking deal in my opinion for the flagship VZW phone. My main concerns were signal strength, dropped data and battery life.

I played with the phone for ten days and realized the Nexus was going back. There are so many good things about the phone - ICS, screen is very nice, phone is sleek. The development community is incredible on this phone. So many roms to choose from. There are a lot of things to like about the phone. Battery life was not an issue at all for me. I installed BB rom after a few days and I could get the whole day with the extended battery.

Signal strength - not nearly as good as my Charge. Many places I would normally have a strong signal, my Nexus had a weak (or no) signal. Data was soooo slow when the signal is low.

Profiles - I always use Quick Profiles on my phone to shut off notifications at night. I could not get anything to work with ICS (hopefully they will fix this in the future with a software modification).

Accessories - the lack of accessories, mainly a desktop charger. I use the desktop charger at night so my phone is my night clock (and I charge my extra battery). The OEM Samsung Nexus desktop dock is $99 (and not even available yet....three months after the phone came out). Too much cash for me.

In conclusion, I could not keep the Nexus mainly due to the low signal strength of the phone. I know a lot of people do not have signal issues. Perhaps the coverage is better where they live, but in my area my Droid Charge gets a strong signal no matter where I go. I wish the Nexus did the same. I will definitely miss ICS.

You seem to be the ROMing type. Have you tried flashing the 4.0.4 radios? It's helped my signal strength a bit but results will vary.
The accessory side is absolutely befuddling, but not a concern of mine. I hope you're happy going back to your Charge.
Also, for shutting off notifications, you can try the app Tasker. It can do that and lots more.

Upvote 0
Hi Dread,

I actually did flash several ROMs. I used stock for 3-4 days and ended up on Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast. I flashed the 4.0.4 radios and it did not seem to make much of a difference. I didn't experience the dropped calls with the second phone. My main issue was data.

The dock was just secondary but I really like using a charging dock at night. I could not see spending $99 on the Samsung one. My Charge dock cost me $30 and it included a spare battery.

I do like my Charge. I have Eclipse ROM installed and it runs smooth (although not as smooth as the Nexus). I will miss ICS - I liked it overall.

I will keep watching to see what 4.0.5 does for the signal strength. Hopefully it will boost the signal. If it does, I may pick up another Nexus then.

Upvote 0
I did see the Seidio dock but I was not sure it would work like the OEM one (automatically go into clock mode on). My main issue was the signal strength. Even at my house (which gets 4 bars around -68 dbms I think) my Nexus never got over 2 bars (never stronger than -93 dbms). Wifi was not as strong either. The only time I had a full wifi signal was sitting in my office next to the router. I did not try tasker but if I buy another one, I will defintely check it out.

Hopefully the new update will have updated radios that improve the signal. TBH, I really liked the phone but the signal was a deal breaker for me. The other issues were minor and could have been overlooked for the many positives of the Nexus.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if my Nexus is doing worse on signal or not. If anything, I'm thinking its about on par with my Eris. I still get the same data speeds on 3G (ie, slowwwww) and 4G, even with it having a "poor" signal in my basement does circles around 3G at high strength. I haven't experienced dropped calls.

If I ever go back up to my friend's cabin, that will be a true test of the radio, since getting a stable 2G signal is considered amazing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones