• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
One thing I have noticed switching from hardware input phones to touchscreens is that the sensitivity of the screen is extremely important. If the screen is resistive prople complain that they are not sensitive enough but rarely get accidental button pushes. If they are to sensitive (capacitive) they tend to be more prone to accidental button pushes.

I think this scenario is a symptom of the touchscreen platform and will take some time and ingenuity to resolve. Going from a resistive to a capacitive, I have not quite figured out which is best.

About the Droid feeling a bit beta I agree, but it is certainly the best implementation of a touchscreen-interface/smart-phone I have seen yet by far. The integration of all the various data is what I like best about the phone, for example tap anyone's face anywhere and you will get a slider with all the applicable functions for that contact.

The concept of the notification menu I believe is a really good idea. I think this phone has a steep learning curve only because its functionality does not follow some of the stale conventions of most phones to date.

Bottom line I think we need to be a little patient and channel as much constructive comments to the developers as is possible.

Upvote 0
1. The unlock mechanism is working well for me. I can see how it is a pain for others. (No, I don't have big hands.)

2. It's not a joke, just different. I find that the D-pad comes in handy from time-to-time and the keyboard while flat and cramped isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Remember, this is my personal preference. It may be that bad for some people.

3. I don't see the Droid as a phone first and foremost. I see it as a personal communications device. I'm used to not having Send and End keys coming from an iPhone 3gs. More and more devices like the Droid and iPhone are moving this route. The Nokia N900 is an example.

These are just my responses based on my personal preference, take them with a grain of salt. If the phone isn't right for you, you gravitate towards the Eris, then screw the bloggers and reviewers opinion and get the Eris. You have to be happy with the phone not some blogger/reviewer. The intent of these reviews are to help inform users of how the device operates, it's quirks, and it's strong points.
I for one watch a video review a couple of times, once to hear their thoughts and opinions and again to examine how fluid and responsive the phone is to input.
Good luck in your decision, don't regret it. Get what fits your needs, nobody on this forum can tell you what that device is.

Upvote 0
If you where to rely on bloggers for every decision you would never by anything. The less I read these forums the happier I am with my device.

The complaints on this form although legitimate in no way representative of the feelings of the vast majority of users.

If you haven't figured it out life is not perfect therefore cell smart phones aren't either.

But we do need to improve everything legitimatley and constructively.

Upvote 0
No sir, the iPhone's hardware does not "at times smoke the Droid". The Droid's hardware beats the iPhone in all categories and is a far more advanced device. The iPhone cannot even run more than one app at once. Now if you are talking solely about speed tests. Yes, for one reason or another (mostly software) the iPhone has at times fared better than the Droid. Especially in the browser arena. Bit it is not hardware since the droids hardware is more powerful and advanced than that of the iPhone. I was speaking of hardware not speed benchmarks.
I'm sorry if you're unaware of the differences between hardware and software, but the iPhone's CPU is faster than the Droid's (while underclocked, mind you), and the GPU is one tier up above the Droid's (that which separates the mid-range mobile devices from the high-end portable media devices).

Multi-tasking is restricted on the iPhone because of the software and Apple's way of showing how they have full control of their device--like they do to all their products.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry if you're unaware of the differences between hardware and software, but the iPhone's CPU is faster than the Droid's (while underclocked, mind you), and the GPU is one tier up above the Droid's (that which separates the mid-range mobile devices from the high-end portable media devices).

Multi-tasking is restricted on the iPhone because of the software and Apple's way of showing how they have full control of their device--like they do to all their products.

actually it has been proven that droid has faster hardware

Upvote 0
1. The unlock mechanism is working well for me. I can see how it is a pain for others. (No, I don't have big hands.)

2. It's not a joke, just different. I find that the D-pad comes in handy from time-to-time and the keyboard while flat and cramped isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Remember, this is my personal preference. It may be that bad for some people.

3. I don't see the Droid as a phone first and foremost. I see it as a personal communications device. I'm used to not having Send and End keys coming from an iPhone 3gs. More and more devices like the Droid and iPhone are moving this route. The Nokia N900 is an example.

These are just my responses based on my personal preference, take them with a grain of salt. If the phone isn't right for you, you gravitate towards the Eris, then screw the bloggers and reviewers opinion and get the Eris. You have to be happy with the phone not some blogger/reviewer. The intent of these reviews are to help inform users of how the device operates, it's quirks, and it's strong points.
I for one watch a video review a couple of times, once to hear their thoughts and opinions and again to examine how fluid and responsive the phone is to input.
Good luck in your decision, don't regret it. Get what fits your needs, nobody on this forum can tell you what that device is.

Exactly, you are still within your 30 days so take it back and get something else. I love this phone and the software it provides. Stop making long stupid post about your regrets. I have probably watched and read every review on the Droid before it was released and even went to the Verizon store to test it out before I bought it. You should have done the same. You wouldn't buy a car before you tested it out. And if you did and still decided to buy it then don't complain about. I knew what I was buying before I bought it. So tired of these types of post.

Upvote 0
actually it has been proven that droid has faster hardware
... Where? I have yet to seen actual proof that the hardware is faster. The specs don't lie. It's not like comparing the OMAP to the Qualcomm, it's like comparing the OMAP to the OMAP, one which is clocked higher by default and still clocked higher when underclocked (because both the Droid and iPhone's CPU are underclocked).

Similarly both devices use the PowerVR SGX chips for graphics acceleration, and again the iPhone's is the higher tier:

• SGX530/1 (14 MPolys/s) for the handheld mobile market
  • SGX535 and SGX540 (28 MPolys/s) for handheld high end mobile, portable, MID, UMPC, consumer, and automotive devices
The Droid and Pre utilizes the SGX530 while the iPhone utilizes the SGX535. That's the mobile equivalent of comparing a nVidia GT240 and an nVidia GT260.

Again, from just the hardware alone, the iPhone trumps it where it matters. Does that mean it'll stop me from getting a Droid? Probably not.

Upvote 0
Why are people posting the same problems in 32 thousand threads instead of consolidating?

At this point ( I will number mine too)

1) Everyone knows the quirks.

2) IT is still arguably the best phone out there with all considered.

3) If you don't like it take it back! It hasn't been 30 days.

4) I hope this Google experience has taught you to use the search bar, so that before your next purchase you can do more research to save the shock that is flooding these forums. All of those quirks have been mentioned in countless reviews dating back to early October.

5) You hate it. You like your iPhone or Voyager better. Apples and Oranges and no one cares. This is the Motorola Droid Forum, where people discuss not bitch and moan because they can't handle the flaws that come with new technology.

6) Welcome to the Droid Forums. Take a shot of liquor and relax.

Upvote 0
... Where? I have yet to seen actual proof that the hardware is faster. The specs don't lie. It's not like comparing the OMAP to the Qualcomm, it's like comparing the OMAP to the OMAP, one which is clocked higher by default and still clocked higher when underclocked (because both the Droid and iPhone's CPU are underclocked).

Similarly both devices use the PowerVR SGX chips for graphics acceleration, and again the iPhone's is the higher tier:

• SGX530/1 (14 MPolys/s) for the handheld mobile market
  • SGX535 and SGX540 (28 MPolys/s) for handheld high end mobile, portable, MID, UMPC, consumer, and automotive devices
The Droid and Pre utilizes the SGX530 while the iPhone utilizes the SGX535. That's the mobile equivalent of comparing a nVidia GT240 and an nVidia GT260.

Again, from just the hardware alone, the iPhone trumps it where it matters. Does that mean it'll stop me from getting a Droid? Probably not.

The iphone is so fast you cannot do more than one thing at a time! It couldn't send picture messages until about a month ago...everything has to be apple approved yadayadayada

The Droid, according to reviews, is already getting similar performance to the 3GS....and its underclocked across the board. Meh...

I am not extremely familiar with iPhones. However, I am with MACs and PCs. Sure a MAC can run faster than a PC in certain aspects but due to its OS and hardware limitations it will never beat a PC. In the same due respect...

The iPhone looks pretty and functions well for some. But for me it doesn't do enough at the same time and it feels restrained. I am not a DROID fanboy yet..but I am getting there. So far I love it. It can do things the iphone cannot...gets better frame rate on similar hardware.

And your comment on the gt240 vs gt260...no its more like a 9800GT vs a 9800GT OC. Just slightly and depending on other hardware the 9800GT can out perform the OC.

JUST SAYING.

PS The Droid will be getting Flash...iPhone? Better start phoning Steve now...

Upvote 0
The iphone is so fast you cannot do more than one thing at a time! It couldn't send picture messages until about a month ago...everything has to be apple approved yadayadayada

The Droid, according to reviews, is already getting similar performance to the 3GS....and its underclocked across the board. Meh...

I am not extremely familiar with iPhones. However, I am with MACs and PCs. Sure a MAC can run faster than a PC in certain aspects but due to its OS and hardware limitations it will never beat a PC. In the same due respect...

The iPhone looks pretty and functions well for some. But for me it doesn't do enough at the same time and it feels restrained. I am not a DROID fanboy yet..but I am getting there. So far I love it. It can do things the iphone cannot...gets better frame rate on similar hardware.

And your comment on the gt240 vs gt260...no its more like a 9800GT vs a 9800GT OC. Just slightly and depending on other hardware the 9800GT can out perform the OC.

JUST SAYING.

PS The Droid will be getting Flash...iPhone? Better start phoning Steve now...
That's cute, but let's start breaking your argument down--I have class in... 2 hours and I have some editing to do later, so I'll be brief.

Again the multitasking aspect is purely software-related. It has nothing to do with the hardware. In fact the hardware should be able to do without any problems.

The Droid according to reviews don't do benchmarks on how fast the numbers are crunched with their processors. And there are no gaming benchmarks for it either, but if there was don't expect the Droid to trump the iPhone in that aspect either.

I don't like Macs, but I can tell you one thing; you're missing a few key points. The reason I don't like Macs is because it runs less software than Windows and it's locked down harder than Fort Knox. With that noted, the iPhone has MORE software than the Droid (although who really needs 14 different farting apps?) The fact is the iPhone has been out longer, it's OS has time to mature many bugs were fixed and many aspects of it were polished. There is no comparison in that aspect at the moment. Yes, the Droid is open source; but remember one of Android's strengths AND weakness is that the specs across all the Android phones are very different as opposed to the 3 generations of iPhones which have similarities (like the screen size and resolution). Android developers will have to scale everything or make Droid-exclusive apps and risk alienating G1 and other users to fully take advantage of the Droid.

I don't know what you're pertaining to about "faster with similar hardware." Everything that comes down to hardware so far is faster on the iPhone. There are no glitches in the home screen, everything transitions smoothly, things usually load faster on the iPhone's browser, and the auto focus works on it. Will the Droid become just as polished? I sure hope so (really hoping we can root it and get Sense UI if Motorola doesn't fix the transition issues) Again, this is mostly software-related. I prefer the angular design of the Droid myself... maybe minus the "under bite."

Again, it's not like looking at the same "high-end" GPU and one is OCed. They're on a different tier altogether. Did you not see the specs? The PowerVR SGX 535 pushes out TWICE as many polygons than the 530. You don't OC a high-end card and suddenly push out twice as many polygons; it just doesn't happen.

And Flash 10 will be welcomed. But again, that has nothing to do with the hardware, right?

Upvote 0
That's cute, but let's start breaking your argument down--I have class in... 2 hours and I have some editing to do later, so I'll be brief.

Again the multitasking aspect is purely software-related. It has nothing to do with the hardware. In fact the hardware should be able to do without any problems.

The Droid according to reviews don't do benchmarks on how fast the numbers are crunched with their processors. And there are no gaming benchmarks for it either, but if there was don't expect the Droid to trump the iPhone in that aspect either.

I don't like Macs, but I can tell you one thing; you're missing a few key points. The reason I don't like Macs is because it runs less software than Windows and it's locked down harder than Fort Knox. With that noted, the iPhone has MORE software than the Droid (although who really needs 14 different farting apps?) The fact is the iPhone has been out longer, it's OS has time to mature many bugs were fixed and many aspects of it were polished. There is no comparison in that aspect at the moment. Yes, the Droid is open source; but remember one of Android's strengths AND weakness is that the specs across all the Android phones are very different as opposed to the 3 generations of iPhones which have similarities (like the screen size and resolution). Android developers will have to scale everything or make Droid-exclusive apps and risk alienating G1 and other users to fully take advantage of the Droid.

I don't know what you're pertaining to about "faster with similar hardware." Everything that comes down to hardware so far is faster on the iPhone. There are no glitches in the home screen, everything transitions smoothly, things usually load faster on the iPhone's browser, and the auto focus works on it. Will the Droid become just as polished? I sure hope so (really hoping we can root it and get Sense UI if Motorola doesn't fix the transition issues) Again, this is mostly software-related. I prefer the angular design of the Droid myself... maybe minus the "under bite."

Again, it's not like looking at the same "high-end" GPU and one is OCed. They're on a different tier altogether. Did you not see the specs? The PowerVR SGX 535 pushes out TWICE as many polygons than the 530. You don't OC a high-end card and suddenly push out twice as many polygons; it just doesn't happen.

And Flash 10 will be welcomed. But again, that has nothing to do with the hardware, right?

Amen.. iPhone fan-boy's are like children. I will not own one because everything is run through Apple. Apple is proprietary and won't let you tinker. No apps in the wild. No roms. Nothing. Now there is a Rick Rolls virus hitting jailbroken iPhone's. It would be nice to own an iPhone and surf the web while on speakerphone with Google running and doing all the work.. It won't happen.

Upvote 0
Why are people posting the same problems in 32 thousand threads instead of consolidating?

At this point ( I will number mine too)

1) Everyone knows the quirks.

2) IT is still arguably the best phone out there with all considered.

3) If you don't like it take it back! It hasn't been 30 days.

4) I hope this Google experience has taught you to use the search bar, so that before your next purchase you can do more research to save the shock that is flooding these forums. All of those quirks have been mentioned in countless reviews dating back to early October.

5) You hate it. You like your iPhone or Voyager better. Apples and Oranges and no one cares. This is the Motorola Droid Forum, where people discuss not bitch and moan because they can't handle the flaws that come with new technology.

6) Welcome to the Droid Forums. Take a shot of liquor and relax.

Everyone doesn't know the quirks apparently because most reviews don't even mention the drawbacks that I listed especially the bizzarre placement of the unlock button.

I don't care if this phone can do a thousand things at one time if you have to break your fingers in an odd fashion just to be able to use the phone then it's not worth it. Bad design is bad design plain and simple and when you are ATTEMPTING to compete with the iphone ease of use is VERY important. Moto and Verizon decided to take the iphone challenge when they released those stupid commercials so they better deliver and fact is they are not.

I love the Android OS BUT I do not love the Motorolla Droid. The star of this show is the Android OS, the failure is the crappy device that Moto designed.

You are paying 200 dollars for the phone not for the Android OS... Android 2.0 will be coming to other phones and hopefully MUCH better phones.. This phone isn't well designed plain and simple...

Upvote 0
Everyone doesn't know the quirks apparently because most reviews don't even mention the drawbacks that I listed especially the bizzarre placement of the unlock button.

I don't care if this phone can do a thousand things at one time if you have to break your fingers in an odd fashion just to be able to use the phone then it's not worth it. Bad design is bad design plain and simple and when you are ATTEMPTING to compete with the iphone ease of use is VERY important. Moto and Verizon decided to take the iphone challenge when they released those stupid commercials so they better deliver and fact is they are not.

I love the Android OS BUT I do not love the Motorolla Droid. The star of this show is the Android OS, the failure is the crappy device that Moto designed.

You are paying 200 dollars for the phone not for the Android OS... Android 2.0 will be coming to other phones and hopefully MUCH better phones.. This phone isn't well designed plain and simple...

I think your wrong about the lock/unlock button. This is a standard location on a lot of smartphones. I don't have large hands but I have no issues hitting the button with one hand and then unlocking the phone with my thumb.

Upvote 0
I think your wrong about the lock/unlock button. This is a standard location on a lot of smartphones. I don't have large hands but I have no issues hitting the button with one hand and then unlocking the phone with my thumb.

I agree, I use the same move. Where else would be better? Right? The bottom is no good. The sides would be awful. If you put it on the front the phone would either lose screen size or be longer. I can hold my phone, unlock it and swipe in one motion. I see this as a non issue. I mean unless you have very small midget fingers.

Upvote 0
1. This phone is not ergonomic. The biggest issue I have with this is the phone is not easy to hold with just one hand. I seriously question the placement of the unlock button because once again it is very akward to pick up the phone with one hand and attempt to unlock the phone with unlock key.

I do agree that the phone is not the MOST ergonomic. However, I don't have a problem with the unlock button. I have had the phone since day 1 and have used it A LOT. Check this: pick up the phone, slide the keyboard open and see how the right thumb is in perfect position to slide the device to the unlocked position. Just an observation. Perhaps the unlock button placement had that operation in mind. Although, I have no problem holding the phone in my right hand in the 'portrait' position and sliding the phone open with my right thumb.

2. The physical keyboard is a total joke and almost completely useless. The mouse thing on the right side is a total waste and shouldn't be there (what was moto thinking it's almost as if they didnt get any input from anyone on the phones build).

"almost completely useless?" No. It is actually a decent keyboard. There is one particular shortcoming though that affects the keyboard negatively, in my opinion. Although I like having those 'cursor keys' on the right side, the 'cursor pad' is quite large and makes it so you have to reach over with the right hand thumb to get the keys. If the keys were more centered on the base, that would have been better. So, the current placement takes some getting used to.. If that pad was a bit smaller, and the board more centered, a person could 'hit the ground running' with that keyboard.

3. The lack of physical call and or end buttons is ill advised too I believe. This is a phone first of all not a laptop so making a call should be first priority and should be easier to initiate than it is.

My last phone had a physical key to answer/end phone calls. After using the Droid for several days, I haven't experienced a problem by NOT having those physical keys, so, I am not sure what the poster means by "ill advised".. The calls are fairly easy to initiate and end on the Droid.

Now, lest you think I can't 'see' anything wrong with the Droid, I will agree with many others in saying that "Tutorial" is a complete joke... LOL.. Now THAT is what's "almost completely useless."

:)
Fire Chief

Upvote 0
I don't have an ifone, but I do have a ipod touch, so I can draw from that experience.

I wish that Motorola had implemented a Razor-like mechanical keyboard, I've always liked the feel and look of cut metal, and it was a good keyboard.

I've noticed that the Droid's touch screen is a little sensitive, so when you are doing something you want to do, you almost need to hold perfectly still to keep doing it (movie playback, for instance). I hope this is adjustable or fixed soon.

I wish the Android icons were as large and detailed as the ifone, as is they waste too much screen real estate with dead space between.

I wish I could play X-Plane on my Droid, so for now I'll keep the ipod touch.

I also wish there were external "Play/Pause" buttons, as well and an ANSWER/HANGUP, but maybe that will be addressed in a blutooth headset at some time.

I wish the running tasks were displayed in a tool bar or something, to make it easier to switch. Maybe I'm missing something.

I wish there was more on-line (or built into the phone) help. This device needs the internet, just to figure it out.

Each "issue" with the Droid just seems to make the ifone seem that much more "better", as a consumer device.

That being said, I've always been uncomfortable with Apple's insane controls, and ATT's as well.

I like Droid.

Upvote 0
I don't have an ifone, but I do have a ipod touch, so I can draw from that experience.

I wish that Motorola had implemented a Razor-like mechanical keyboard, I've always liked the feel and look of cut metal, and it was a good keyboard.

I've noticed that the Droid's touch screen is a little sensitive, so when you are doing something you want to do, you almost need to hold perfectly still to keep doing it (movie playback, for instance). I hope this is adjustable or fixed soon.

I wish the Android icons were as large and detailed as the ifone, as is they waste too much screen real estate with dead space between.

I wish I could play X-Plane on my Droid, so for now I'll keep the ipod touch.

I also wish there were external "Play/Pause" buttons, as well and an ANSWER/HANGUP, but maybe that will be addressed in a blutooth headset at some time.

I wish the running tasks were displayed in a tool bar or something, to make it easier to switch. Maybe I'm missing something.

I wish there was more on-line (or built into the phone) help. This device needs the internet, just to figure it out.

Each "issue" with the Droid just seems to make the ifone seem that much more "better", as a consumer device.

That being said, I've always been uncomfortable with Apple's insane controls, and ATT's as well.

I like Droid.
I don't like leaving fingerprints all over the "cut metal."

I think the purpose of these "touch screen app phones" is to reduce the number of buttons, not add more.

I guess a tool bar would be nice, but you have to remember the real estate on the phone and how much the CPU is already running by allowing multitasking on the phone. It may not seem to matter on a PC, but even a notebook battery trumps over the Droid in terms of sheer size. I'd like to see something that too to be honest, but I can live without it on a phone.

You need online help to use a phone? Well... doesn't the phone come with a user's manual? You want to pre-install the manual onto the phone? Really, I have better uses for the available storage on the phone.

So the iPhone doesn't have issues either? Remember they're not both on level playing fields. The iPhone is about to hit it's 4th generation model versus the 1st generation Droid. Growing pains, all devices have to go through them--don't believe me? Ask Microsoft about the Xbox 360 console.

ATT is less control, but more about trying to earn the most money (but which carrier doesn't?) But Apple has been notorious for locking down their products since the old days of the Macintosh, so no one should be surprised. At least they have a united product line which doesn't make waste of the entire App Store. I'd like to see how the Android Market handle multiple Android phones with a variety of different specs.

Upvote 0

You obviously don't like this phone. You can take the phone back. Sounds like that might be the best option for you.

As for me, I have no problems with the unlock button, or the keyboard. Were they awkward at first? Yes, but I've gotten used to them very quickly. (and I have average size hands/fingers)

Also, I saw many reviews which showed the location of the unlock button. The location wasn't a surprise to me at all.

I hope you can find a phone that is better suited to your needs. As for me and many others, I will stick with the Droid as it suits my needs quite well. Good luck in your search! :eek:)

Upvote 0
I have no regrets, but I am returning mine tomorrow. For me, it simply isn't comfortable as a phone. It's still fairly buggy, but all smartphones are. The on screen landscape keyboard is better than the physical keyboard. The weight isn't so bad considering the dimensions. It's just not worth the premium I have to pay to Verizon. I think it is a good device(nice screen), but I wouldn't want this phone for 2 years and I would definitely hate to drop this phone on the floor:)

Since it has been rooted already and 2 of them will save me $800 a year, I will go with the Hero and replace it with a Dragon/Xperia/Whatever in a year(sprint premier program).

iphone>pre>iphone>hero>moment>droid>hero

Man I've been through a lot of phones in the last few months. Pain in the ....

Upvote 0
I have no regrets, but I am returning mine tomorrow. For me, it simply isn't comfortable as a phone. It's still fairly buggy, but all smartphones are. The on screen landscape keyboard is better than the physical keyboard. The weight isn't so bad considering the dimensions. It's just not worth the premium I have to pay to Verizon. I think it is a good device(nice screen), but I wouldn't want this phone for 2 years and I would definitely hate to drop this phone on the floor:)

Since it has been rooted already and 2 of them will save me $800 a year, I will go with the Hero and replace it with a Dragon/Xperia/Whatever in a year(sprint premier program).

iphone>pre>iphone>hero>moment>droid>hero

Man I've been through a lot of phones in the last few months. Pain in the ....
You've been through a lot of phones because you're fickle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones