• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X, lost, now found, how to fix?

I found a long lost droid x ( 2 months ago). It was apparently 'blacklisted' via the MEID/ESN or whatever by Asurion insurance when I reported it lost. I just found it this last week tho and want to sell it because I already got ANOTHER DROID X. I went into Verizon and they said I couldn't get it to work anymore, but I also heard that if you call Verizon Data Services they can fix it.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this situation? The reps told me to just throw it away, which seems incredibly wasteful and stupid considering it's a $300+ piece of technology. I know it's frowned upon to change the MEID, but I don't want to do it myself if it's not necessary. Neither do I want to throw it away tho, I want to sell it because it's in mint condition and totally working.....
What do?

Carriers are usually very stubborn about relisting blacklisted MEID's. I'm sure they've heard all the stories and frankly they are not that motivated. Of course trying to alter an MEID or ESN yourself is illegal in most places so we won't permit the discussion of that here.

Assuming you didn't collect any insurance for its loss (if you did, then it's likely that Asurion technically owns it, or you have to return the claim) and it works fine otherwise, there are people who will buy it for apps and as a media player. Sell it honestly as a blocked phone. You don't have to throw it away.

Reactions: colchiro
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones