• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dumb Data wipe question when installing a new ROM?

Lock-N-Load

Android Expert
Feb 8, 2010
WestSiiiide
In all the ROMS I have installed in the past, wiping data was not necessary and all has been well as I just use Pete's stock rooted ROMS.

Well, now I plan to move over to a totally new ROM - GPA15 - and that requires a data and cache wipe. So, this would be the first time I have actually had to wipe data for a ROM install. so, I want to get some things clarified:

1. if you do a backup of your current ROM and install a new ROM & data wipe and then dont like it and revert back to your backed up ROM, is all the data you wiped for the new install saved and back in place in the backup ROM?

2. what exactly does wiping the data do? Does it essentially zero out the phone so all of your settings and saved prefs and apps and tweaks are all.... just gone?

3. how do you best and most quickly get it back to a useful phone - apps, settings, tweaks, preferences, etc - after installing a new ROM without spending hours and hours going through each Setting and installing all of the apps 1 by 1 and then going through their settings and blah blah? It seems an unGodly amount of time potential just to try a ROM.

BTW, I have and use MyBackupPRO and TitaniumBU.

1.) Yes. When you do a 'backup', it's like a snapshot of everything and every setting on your phone at that moment. When you revert, your phone will have EVERYTHING it had at that moment in time.

2.) Basically, yes. Your contacts, apps, settings, etc. are gone. However, google does a great job of restoring your contacts, and a pretty fair job of restoring your apps, and even a setting or two.

3.) The method I use takes _maybe_ an hour. I prefer to use MyBackup to backup these 'data' things: call logs, bookmarks, sms, and mms. I use it to backup all my apps (.apk only). Then after the perfunctory data/cache wipe and new ROM (and all it's parts if needed) install I let the phone boot up to the "Touch the Android" screen. I will proceed from there and once I get my phone signed back into google and have it starting to sync I set it down and do not touch it for a long long long time. I will NOT touch it and continue UNTIL I see a "xxx applications restored (or partially restored)" message in the notification bar. Then sometimes when I select that message, the market will open with options to restore the rest, otherwise I continue thusly. Using MyBackup, I will restore data and 'select all' (as all I backed up was call logs, bookmarks, sms, and mms). Then when prompted, I reboot the phone. From here, sometimes upon reboot any apps not previously restored _might_ restore, but I will usually just go about either restoring them and/or re-downloading them from the market. And then I will also fine tune: setting custom ringers/notifications, assigning ringers to my contacts, etc.

Hope this was of help to you.

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones