• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Duplicate contacts can't be deleted or merged

A

Android Question

I've just got a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime, and it's running Android version 5.1.1. I lost all of my old contacts, so I've been putting new ones in manually, but every time I add a contact it appears twice. I can't merge them, because the merge button only appears on one of them, and the other doesn't appear in the list of contacts to link.

If I delete the contact that I added, it deletes both entries. If I try and delete the duplicate that it has added, it says:

"You can't delete contacts from read-only accounts, but you can hide them in your contacts lists."

I can't figure out how to hide them, but that screen has the option to cancel or delete. If I delete, that entry goes away, but it reappears by itself when I do the same thing to the next duplicate.

How do I get my contacts to only display once per person?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones