• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Early Hands On Previews

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
Hands on: Sony Xperia Z1 review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

The Sony Xperia Z1 is definitely another step forward from the brand that's going from strength to strength in the smartphone market.
It's an impressive phone that packs so much technology inside you can't help but enjoy all the treats on offer - and it's well packaged in a way that makes us love to try all the different features.

It's a chunky beast, which may put some people off, but the metallic chassis is one we really like and pushes the premium message even further, and the addition of a microSD card slot is one we always love to see.

Given it's not likely to command the mega cost of the Lumia 1020, the Z1 is a decent phone that wiSnapll rival the Galaxy S4 on the shop shelves - so if you can get over the bulk, it's one of the most exciting smartphones to check out this year.
---------------------------------------------

Sony Xperia Z1 unveiled | T3

No summary there, but it's got an unboxing video and a cheesy hands on video.

Sony Xperia Z1: the new flagship with imaging at its heart (hands-on)

Sony tells us that it "believes that consumers want a flagship that's good at everything," and with some indisputably solid specifications across the board, it's hard to argue that they haven't at least reached for that goal. The Xperia Z1 is well built, zippy and responsive, and seems to keep the best bits of the original. Add to that key updates we saw first in the Z Ultra -- all stirred up with that megapixel mania -- and it becomes a tantalizing combination, that's for sure. Let's just hope that promise holds once we get it in for our full review, which given that it should land before the end of this month, hopefully won't be too long.

IFA 2013: Sony Xperia Z1 hands-on - GSMArena.com

That's more like a full review. It even details some of the new accessories Sony showed at IFA too.

Hands-on: Sony Xperia Z1 review - Pocket-lint

We loved the Xperia Z when it arrived in January and here the Z1 ups the ante even more. It's got the latest generation of processor, it's got the highest resolution camera, an improved display, a big battery and it's waterproof. Add to that Sony's clean Android interface and this could be a very strong contender for phone of the year.

Our time was restricted with the Z1, but what we've seen so far could mean this quickly becomes the best Android handset on the market.
http://www.itproportal.com/2013/09/04/sony-xperia-z1-hands-on-preview/

Not much there, but it does seem very positive
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/4/4693850/sony-xperia-z1-with-21-megapixel-camera-hands-on-preview

That's a Sony Rep showing it off by the looks of things, not really much of a "hands on"
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/06/ifa-2013-sony-qx10-lens-camera-initial-impressions/

That's a small review for the cheaper of the 2 lenses
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Here...ding-cameraphone-according-to-Sony_id47242#4-

Camera comparison.

Will add more as and when I can find them. :)

I was slightly concerned about the popularity aspect of it for the same reasons as you, but looking at previous handsets/tabs in the "Z" line, I'm not sure it will be a problem. Plus, from what I can see, Sony appear to be pretty good with source code so it might not be too much of an issue.

A lot of the reasons I've had for rooting/ROMing in the past are now moot anyway (Titanium, messing about with themes etc), you have helium for backups now and if the the Experia Z is anything to go by, the UI on this thing will be amazing.

I think there's enough about this on stock to keep me going for a while.

I say that now obviously, but we'll see....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones