• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Emails not coming to phone

I contacted Yahoo support after they added that "TODAY (Beta)" link box to IMAP-retrieved HTML emails last Friday afternoon. I went through two clueless live chat reps who told me that IMAP was only for mobile devices and that there's a separate support site for mobile (linked by bscherka above).

I asked the mobile team about the "TODAY" spam injection and heard back yesterday. They completely missed the point:

From what I understand, you are having an issue viewing HTML emails using IMAP with the K9 email application on your Android device. This is certainly a valid concern, and I will be glad to address this for you.

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide support for third-party applications such as the K9 email app. For further assistance with the third-party application you are trying to open, please contact their support desk directly.
It's not a client-side problem. I need to figure out how to word my response to communicate that message to them. I like the juxtaposition of "glad to address this" and "not able to provide support" there. :cool:

When you reply to one of these altered emails, Yahoo's outgoing server strips the block back out and replaces it with some sort of unique identifier, a long string of letters and numbers. So the recipient won't see the HTML, but they will see that injected signature chunk.

This is the only place I've been able to find a discussion about the IMAP change. Is Yahoo's IMAP service really unpopular?

Perhaps complaints have gotten through? I notice that this morning, if I do download the extra 2K, the "Today (Beta)" ads pops up reliably and the email does not go blank. Maybe yahoo fixed it.

I actually submitted a complaint to Yahoo several days ago and they finally emailed me yesterday requesting more information, we'll see what they say...

bscherka - that's excellent news if they have fixed the issue - I'll have to try to turn on my default email client again to see if it is working for me too.

nyrmetros, this is the exact problem we were having and it seems to be tied to article links that yahoo is placing at the bottom of the emails. if you scroll quickly to the bottom of the email before it disappears, you will see something downloading...it's the yahoo link. i'm not technically advanced so i don't know why this is happening or how it's causing the problem, i just know that it is happening.

spence...are you having the disappearing email problem with K9 still? K9 is working for me...even emails that have disappeared in the stock app are showing in K9. i'm still trying to figure out settings on K9 so i'm not quite liking it as much as the stock, but that's probably my fault because I don't have it configured correctly yet.

Yes this is exactly what happened. So what the heck can we do to fix it.

My mail still acts up. It does not sinc till I open the program it seems most of the time. But having 1X 75% of the time lately does not help since 3G/4G never works

My issue is that the emails come through the phone, but when I go to view them, I see the email for 2 seconds and then the email goes blank to a white screen. Even if I close the email and reopen it, it's not available. Not deleted, just can't view it. Thoughts?

Same exact problem on my HTC EVO 3D. Android 2.3.4. HTC Sense 3.0. Software number 2.08.651.3.

Managed to get a Yahoo email tech who understood my problem with the Yahoo Today beta links in IMAP emails. Here's the response:

Yahoo! has added the best of the web content to the bottom of your email messages. This will allow you to conveniently see trending topics while you are reading your email on your mobile device.

By adding the best of the web content to the bottom of your email this allows Yahoo! to continue to provide a free, top notch email product.

The best of the web content may appear if you have a free Yahoo! Mail account and are also checking your free mail account using IMAP. Unfortunately, this cannot be disabled.

If you have a Yahoo! Mail Plus account and are using IMAP, this content snippet will not appear.
Not impressed. The email body should be sacrosanct against modification.

Wow. I can't get support to have a clue what I'm talking about. I've been debating switching to my gmail account, maybe now is the time to switch!

My original problem is back again no emails pushed to phone till I open the email program:confused:. It is just getting old along with all the 1x internet service lately:mad:

I'm still having issues with blank emails in the stock app too. I've had 3-4 emails back and forth with Yahoo support, they are supposedly looking at some of the emails that are going blank in my account.

GopalVeeranala - we're all having issues with the stock app, thus had to switch to K-9.

I received an email back from yahoo:

"I see that your emails appear blank when you view them on your phone. I
am very sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused you, and I
will be glad to help you out as best I can.

I appreciate the information you sent us, Matt. Our Engineering team is
already working on the resolution now, and we intend to have it
corrected as soon as possible. The ticket number for this issue is
5273308."

Hopefully this means they will get it resolved soon!

GopalVeeranala - we're all having issues with the stock app, thus had to switch to K-9.

I received an email back from yahoo:

"I see that your emails appear blank when you view them on your phone. I
am very sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused you, and I
will be glad to help you out as best I can.

I appreciate the information you sent us, Matt. Our Engineering team is
already working on the resolution now, and we intend to have it
corrected as soon as possible. The ticket number for this issue is
5273308."

Hopefully this means they will get it resolved soon!

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully everyone here has sent an email to yahoo!

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully everyone here has sent an email to yahoo!
Thanks, all of you for the thread - I just bought a new Incredible 2 and am having the intermittent Yahoo blank email problem. It doesn't happen with all of them, and I couldn't figure out which characteristics were causing it. Since it seems to be random ads Yahoo is putting on their received emails, and since it seems that they are fixing it, I'll stay tuned for more.

Back
Top Bottom