• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Epic 4g vs T-Mobile G2 dogfight

Eazail70x7

Android Expert
Mar 13, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXdStBR8mFw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfgIK0BpbW4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A few things I took from this:

- I didn't realize the G2 doesn't have a d-pad on the keyboard (fwiw)
- I think he should have compared the 5mp cameras
- He should have did one of those unscientific speedtests where they open apps and compare browsing speeds

Still it was overall a nice comparison. I got a chance to play with the G2 yesterday and think its pretty nice mostly but the hinge was jacked up beyond belief on it. It was so loose that it jiggled anytime I handled the phone.

Its also noticibly less smooth (as I suspected) than the Epic in terms of scrolling, zooming and graphics. I blame vanilla android for some of that because it was the same on my Moment. Once I installed launcher pro, it was much smooter in sliding the homescreen but still had slight choppiness when using live wallpapers. While there are some live papers that can cause even the epic to be less smooth in scrolling (ocean waves, luminescince, etc), most seem to run almost as smooth as static wallpapers. The wallpapers I tested on the G2 were the same I used on the Epic btw, so it was indeed apples to apples there. I'm guessing the Gpu is what helps the epic keep good frame rate and smoothness in those areas. Browser loading speeds on the other hand were close but just slightly faster on the G2 (because of 2.2?), although my Epic loaded some pages faster. Both were using "4g" and I was using dolphin hd on my phone vs stock browser on the g2. Also, I was getting 6mbps on the epic while the G2 got 3mbps (with super fast ping ).

Think I'm done now, sorry if yakked off too much lol

The question of which keyboard is very subjective and is really all about personal preferrence. Some will like the Epic better overall and some will like the G2 overall. In the dogfight, he pretty much called it a draw (though giving a slight edge to the g2 for the sake of picking a winner). He says that both are top quality keyboards for smartphones and loves em both.

For me, I actually do prefer the Epic overall because it has the 4 navigation buttons on the sides and a directional pad to make editing text a little easier (although the G2 has a trackpad like my Moment). I also like the fact that this has a dedicated number row :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones