• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Error in CWM...

zandersig

Android Enthusiast
Guys, when I am in CWM and I am doing the Wiping data/factory reset option I get this error "E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p4"

Anyone know what this means? I am running the vv3 baseband.

Thanks...

No help on this?

I have one more question, how can I browse my root and system folders/files from my phone on my computer? I can't figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA!

Guys, when I am in CWM and I am doing the Wiping data/factory reset option I get this error "E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p4"

Thanks...

Can you boot back to the os

I may have asked already, but have you considered re-flashing some new firmware and starting off fresh again? I've never seen any errors like that in CWM, may wanna do that and do root+CWM again :(

The error that cwm is giving me is causing me big problems.... how can I fix this? I have emailed the ROM Manager developer 4 times now and no reply! I need some help fixing this. This is error is also causing my apps to be renamed with a -1 at the end of my user app filenames!! HELP!

Well I formatted my SD Card and tried this again and it still gives me that same error

When I am in CWM and I am doing the Wiping data/factory reset option I get this error "E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p4"

I have even went back and installed vv3 and I also tried vva and when I finally get back into CWM it still gives me the same error. I have even went to - mounts and storage and tried formatting just the /sd-ext and it gives me "Error formatting /sd-ext!"

Is there some way to run CWM on my PC and try to get my phone back to factory? Or is there and update to CWM? I am running v5.8.3.1, I don't think this version will work with vv3.

Since I can't wipe my phone back to factory it is doing all kinds of crazy things like renaming my apps with a -1 at the end and saying the my system folders were installed on 12-31-1970! 1970!!!! There were no ANDROID phones back then!

Actually, the naming scheme is 1970-xx-xx.xx.xx.xx and the 1970 does NOT mean the year. The "E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block/mmcblk1p4" error, afaik, may refer to the swap partition. If you don't have a swap, then it throws that error, at least for me. I have done a cat/partition and there is no mmcblk1p4 stock partition. The only partition similar is, /dev/block/mmcblk0p14, which is /system/etc/firmware/misc_mdm. I haven't gone to deep with this phone, but that partition may be your firmware, judging by the name. Also, have you tried CWM 6.0.1.0? If not, flash that ver and see how it goes.

Link for CWM 6.0.1.0:
http://d-h.st/zei

Or maybe try running Shabbypenguins CWM de-looper and replace your CWM. I use 5.8.3.1 and only problems I've experienced are freeze-ups after flashing and the 1970 thing. I have CWM backups from other devices on my card and it shows the date it was made and a couple of other numbers after that. Yeah for me, 5.8.3.1 backups always began with 1970 :D

Attachments

• IMG_201305254225.jpg
    IMG_201305254225.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_201305254553.jpg
    IMG_201305254553.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_201305254810.jpg
    IMG_201305254810.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 69
This is what I did last night....

First off I copied the LG stock firmware from a .cab to a .kdz them I installed a fresh vv3 baseband (with my phone in emergency download mode), then rooted it, then flashed cwm. I then copied my whole 32gb sd card to my pc then I formated it cwm and from inside my phone settings. Then after that I booted into cwm and hit "Erase user data/factory reset" and I got the same freakin' error "E:format_volume: make_extf4fs failed on /dev/block mmcblk1p4"

I also partitioned my sd card, the first part is fat 32 and the second part is ext4 (5gb). So I have no ideas anymore and don't know what else to do, I feel like smashing my phone with a big ass sledgehammer!! I have emailed the cwm developer like 7 times over 2 months and got no, zero, zip replies from him! Grrr

I have also included the pics of /dev/block. while I was looking through there I noticed that I don't even have a file named "mmcblk1p4". That is effed' up huh?

Maybe I should make my system R/W and try to do the factory reset from cwm again?

Attachments

• 2013-05-27 04.36.19-1.jpg
    2013-05-27 04.36.19-1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 2013-05-27 04.37.01-1.jpg
    2013-05-27 04.37.01-1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 2013-05-27 04.39.19-1.jpg
    2013-05-27 04.39.19-1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20130527_131156-1.jpg
    IMG_20130527_131156-1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 77
I wonder if someone sent me this file "mmcblk1p4" and I put it in here /dev/block/ would that solve my problem?

Thanks...

Ummm, what did you do before entering into recovery mode?

To me, it sounds like you flashed something corrupt, or wasn't supposed to be flashed on this phone.

Ummm, what did you do before entering into recovery mode?

To me, it sounds like you flashed something corrupt, or wasn't supposed to be flashed on this phone.

I went from vv4 to vv3, the phone came with vv4 on it but the phone is just a regular LG-MS840.

I wish I could be of some help here. I've flashed almost everything flashable like mods, ROMs, you name it. Never had any errors like that. Zandersig, does the phone work fine other than duplicate filenames and that other error when wiping the phone?

I wish I could be of some help here. I've flashed almost everything flashable like mods, ROMs, you name it. Never had any errors like that. Zandersig, does the phone work fine other than duplicate filenames and that other error when wiping the phone?

Yea, every thing works fine. I just can't do a factory reset in cwm and all my apps in /data/app/ end with a -1 in the filenames

I've flashed zva and vv3 and cwm gives me that error when trying to erase data/factory reset. Should I flash the zv8 or the zv9 and see what happens?

Back
Top Bottom