• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Error Ruining Friendship

BossTheRoss

Lurker
Jul 18, 2022
My friend and I text pretty regularly. Starting this afternoon, I wouldn't get a specific message from her, despite how many times she would resend it. Because of the number of attempts with no successes (well, a half success, explained in a bit), she's blaming me for lying, since it logically doesn't make sense for me to not receive one message (that she even tried changing the phrasing) when others are fine.

I tried restarting my phone at least twice, force quitting the messages app, checking blocked messages (hers weren't in there), checking the word filter (empty), and I eventually convinced my friend to send the message in parts. I only got the first half of the message, so my phone is blocking the second half, for whatever reason.

She's giving up for tonight, but she is still mad at me. I don't blame her, since there should be no reason for this error.

Is there a way to fix this?

what phone does she have? is it an iphone? if it is android and crapple have been known not to play nice with sms and mms. it is usually some setting(i think)in crapples phones that usually helps with text messages.

if it is not then something is wrong. is it only her that you are not receiving regular text messages from?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
what phone does she have? is it an iphone? if it is android and crapple have been known not to play nice with sms and mms. it is usually some setting(i think)in crapples phones that usually helps with text messages.

if it is not then something is wrong. is it only her that you are not receiving regular text messages from?
Yes, she has an iPhone, though we've had no problems like this before. As far as I know, it's only with her and this specific message she wants to send. I get messages from my family (who all have iPhones) and every other message from my friend except for this one.

Upvote 0
Update: My friend has SMS and MMS turned on. No difference.
But which is she sending this message as?

If it contains any media, and probably certain types of emojis or whatever, then it will be MMS. If it's plain text, then if she can turn MMS off give that a try and see whether it sends.

Beyond that we get into the ridiculous: send it word by word and see which word doesn't arrive? ;) Or just get her to read it to you, or email the media file, or use WhatsApp or Signal or something like that (bypassing iMessage and your service providers' implementations of SMS/MMS completely).

However, she shouldn't be mad at you. This is a problem either between 2 big companies (Apple and Google/LG) whose systems don't apply standards properly, or perhaps between 2 smaller companies (your service provider and hers) whose systems don't intercommunicate properly. Either way it's not you that's the problem.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
My friend and I text pretty regularly. Starting this afternoon, I wouldn't get a specific message from her, despite how many times she would resend it. Because of the number of attempts with no successes (well, a half success, explained in a bit), she's blaming me for lying, since it logically doesn't make sense for me to not receive one message (that she even tried changing the phrasing) when others are fine.

I tried restarting my phone at least twice, force quitting the messages app, checking blocked messages (hers weren't in there), checking the word filter (empty), and I eventually convinced my friend to send the message in parts. I only got the first half of the message, so my phone is blocking the second half, for whatever reason.

She's giving up for tonight, but she is still mad at me. I don't blame her, since there should be no reason for this error.

Is there a way to fix this?

Can you take a screenshot and send it to her to prove that you are not getting this specific message? That should help with the friendship part at least.

Upvote 0
If what you say is true, and I would have no reason not to believe you, I would question why she does not believe you. You can on an open website, so I'll be very honest. get a new friend.
As for iPhone vs Android, I know of NO one who has an Android and I receive all the texts (SMS/MMS) from my apple friends and reply and they receive the replies. Might be deeper than just the blame Apple thing. Might not be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones