• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Esteem radio ready for Metropcs/t-mobile merger

Hey guys,

i am switching to metropcs and looking to get a mid range phone. I know there is a merger possibly coming up so i want to get a phone that will be fully capable of using the merged network once up in a couple years... Will the Esteem be up for it?

Well for sure the new galaxy s3 from metro pcs, i think all new 4g lte phones from metro shouldn't have any problems when switching to t-metro.

Well for sure the new galaxy s3 from metro pcs, i think all new 4g lte phones from metro shouldn't have any problems when switching to t-metro.

Hello Mrpnut,

Yep i believe the SIII uses the HSPA+ which has a 40mbit cap.. But i would rather get a mid range phone.

Esteem has Rev. A, up to 3.1 Mbps, LTE (whatever rev. a means)

Can they both pick up the same signals? Just one is able to process faster? I have a feeling that when they merge there may be a new protocol making my soon to be Esteem useless or degraded....

Hello Mrpnut,

Yep i believe the SIII uses the HSPA+ which has a 40mbit cap.. But i would rather get a mid range phone.

Esteem has Rev. A, up to 3.1 Mbps, LTE (whatever rev. a means)

Can they both pick up the same signals? Just one is able to process faster? I have a feeling that when they merge there may be a new protocol making my soon to be Esteem useless or degraded....

Yes they should both pick up the same signal just the s3 would be aliitle faster because it has a dual core processor and the esteem has a single core processor, but u also can flash a custom rom and kernel to overclock the esteem to 1800, i have an esteem and its a really good phone, We have alot of good people who worked on that phone day in and day out and they did an awseome job you can find themes,mods,kernels,etc...

Yes they should both pick up the same signal just the s3 would be aliitle faster because it has a dual core processor and the esteem has a single core processor, but u also can flash a custom rom and kernel to overclock the esteem to 1800, i have an esteem and its a really good phone, We have alot of good people who worked on that phone day in and day out and they did an awseome job you can find themes,mods,kernels,etc...

Excellent info!! thanks!! And i bet the poor battery performance is improved with a root. Thats great, i just dont see a reason to go for the SIII.... the ONLY reason i would buy it is of a radio band that the Esteem does not have.. and so far it seems the Esteem can pick up any signal that the SIII can.. but just not process as fast.

Excellent info!! thanks!! And i bet the poor battery performance is improved with a root. Thats great, i just dont see a reason to go for the SIII.... the ONLY reason i would buy it is of a radio band that the Esteem does not have.. and so far it seems the Esteem can pick up any signal that the SIII can.. but just not process as fast.

Ah but once you go S3 you never go back.:smokingsomb:

LMAO. He says Mid range and you say S3. Oh Pnizzle.

I'm seeing Metro S3 users are slowly turning into 2008 Apple Iphone users. Sad :o

OP, If the esteem was to get the correct radio firmware flashed over, It could POSSIBLY be used with a SIM card on metro but its doubtful.

I know you said you wanted to switch to Metro but consider your options. I would buy a compatible GSM phone and run it on Tmob's "Bring your own device" plan. They have several option to choose from for a plan and they range from $40 to $60. Great plan options, no contract, use whatever phone you want and you get MUCH MUCH MUCH faster data speeds than Metro. Plus you can walk away if you dont like it and go to straight talk, simple mobile, etc...

I was getting 1.3Mbps 4Glte on Metro with my Esteem. I know get 7-10Mbps with my GNex on Straight Talk. Sure LTE is great but what good is it when your running at 1.3Mbps? People have this misconception of LTE thinking that it's somehow better. Data speeds are data speeds, 5mbps is 5mbps no matter what radio your on. LTE can achieve MUCH higher speeds which is what makes it great. Downside is battery life. Trade off isnt worth it. Still pointless on metro when you barely scratch the surface of what REAL LTE users are getting on Verizon. Plus LTE is the worst battery killer of them all. HSPA gets better speeds than Metro plus you save 2-3 times the battery life. Google is selling the Gnex straight from the Play store for $349. Not sure what your wanting to spend but you cant beat that price for what your getting. The Nexus is still the #1 developer phone from which hardware specs are only slightly different than the S3. Plus the Nexus 4 is coming out in a few days so the price will prolly drop even more OR you can get the Nexus 4. Regardless, you can pick whatever phone you want as long as it is GSM. ;)

Metro is still great. I was a user for 5 years. But now that I grew some balls and actually walked away, I've seen the light and I've seen that I can get MUCH MUCH MUCH better for the same price. PLUS, I can get whatever phone I want that wont be limited to just Metro's network.

Hope this helps.

metro = cdma
tmo = gsm

So unless they keep metro around as the prepaid option, I see them switching it all over to GSM along with expanding their LTE coverage and buh bye to cdma devices. ;)

LMAO. He says Mid range and you say S3. Oh Pnizzle.

I'm seeing Metro S3 users are slowly turning into 2008 Apple Iphone users. Sad :o

OP, If the esteem was to get the correct radio firmware flashed over, It could POSSIBLY be used with a SIM card on metro but its doubtful.

I know you said you wanted to switch to Metro but consider your options. I would buy a compatible GSM phone and run it on Tmob's "Bring your own device" plan. They have several option to choose from for a plan and they range from $40 to $60. Great plan options, no contract, use whatever phone you want and you get MUCH MUCH MUCH faster data speeds than Metro. Plus you can walk away if you dont like it and go to straight talk, simple mobile, etc...

I was getting 1.3Mbps 4Glte on Metro with my Esteem. I know get 7-10Mbps with my GNex on Straight Talk. Sure LTE is great but what good is it when your running at 1.3Mbps? People have this misconception of LTE thinking that it's somehow better. Data speeds are data speeds, 5mbps is 5mbps no matter what radio your on. LTE can achieve MUCH higher speeds which is what makes it great. Downside is battery life. Trade off isnt worth it. Still pointless on metro when you barely scratch the surface of what REAL LTE users are getting on Verizon. Plus LTE is the worst battery killer of them all. HSPA gets better speeds than Metro plus you save 2-3 times the battery life. Google is selling the Gnex straight from the Play store for $349. Not sure what your wanting to spend but you cant beat that price for what your getting. The Nexus is still the #1 developer phone from which hardware specs are only slightly different than the S3. Plus the Nexus 4 is coming out in a few days so the price will prolly drop even more OR you can get the Nexus 4. Regardless, you can pick whatever phone you want as long as it is GSM. ;)

Metro is still great. I was a user for 5 years. But now that I grew some balls and actually walked away, I've seen the light and I've seen that I can get MUCH MUCH MUCH better for the same price. PLUS, I can get whatever phone I want that wont be limited to just Metro's network.

Hope this helps.

We know by now lol are you hanging out with chazz on the straight talk forums :p

We know by now lol are you hanging out with chazz on the straight talk forums :p

Should I be? Am I missing something over there?

Remember, in a forum your likely to read the same info time and time again. Just because "you know by now" doesn't mean the person asking the questions "knows by now". ;)

metro = cdma
tmo = gsm

So unless they keep metro around as the prepaid option, I see them switching it all over to GSM along with expanding their LTE coverage and buh bye to cdma devices. ;)

I've been saying this but apparently everyone else thinks the S3 will magically become GSM and start working on T mobile when metro gets dropped in 2015. Idk. Dont care either really. :rolleyes:

just observation by reading the faq on metro's site

MetroPCS AND T-Mobile:
1. What does this potential T-Mobile combination mean to me?

Nothing will change with your service, your plan or your phone, or where you can pay your bills or receive customer support. MetroPCS remains focused on providing an exceptional wireless experience with state-of-the-art 4GLTE service and smartphones at a tremendous value. Each day, we’re seeing thousands of people upgrade to and choose MetroPCS’ 4GLTE because of our unmatched unlimited offering. We think our tremendous value proposition will only get better after the T-Mobile combination. But for now, it is business as usual with the same driven focus on delivering exceptional service and experience to you.
Upon completion of the combination with T-Mobile, the plan is to keep the MetroPCS brand name, our places of distribution and the way we do business. The only real difference you should see is that MetroPCS will offer an even broader array of affordable, cutting-edge handsets and mobile services for the same great value you have come to expect from MetroPCS. This will mean you have more choices, more coverage and greater access to a faster, broader, higher capacity 4G network -- where you live and in more cities throughout the U.S. No. Your rate plan will not change as a result of the announcement of the T-Mobile combination. You will continue to receive an exceptional mobile experience at a great value and the price of your plan will stay the same.
Your mobile service will not be affected by the announcement of the T-Mobile combination. We will still provide the same mobile service you’ve come to expect, choice in services and handsets – while still offering affordable unlimited talk, text and data.
Upon completion of the combination with T-Mobile, we will have the opportunity to offer you an even wider selection of affordable, cutting-edge handsets and mobile services. This will mean more coverage with greater access to a larger 4G network -- where you live and in more cities throughout the U.S.

BUT!

6. How long will my handset or smartphone work on MetroPCS with the impending T-Mobile combination?

The announcement of the combination with T-Mobile will not interrupt our ability to provide wireless services to you.
You will continue to be able to purchase or upgrade your handset from the current and future lineup of handsets available at any local area MetroPCS store, on your handset via MyMetro app, or at metropcs.com.
Upon completion of the combination with T-Mobile, you will have more choices, more coverage and greater access to a faster, broader, higher capacity 4GLTE network. And, you will have a broader array of affordable, cutting-edge handsets for upgrade purposes and a broader array of mobile services to choose from for the same great value. We do anticipate that by the second half of 2015, customers who have not already upgraded their handsets, will need to upgrade their handsets to one of the wide range of affordable, cutting-edge handsets that will be available at that time
im assuming just like pg said this means all non-lte phones will be obsolete and u will need a updated lte phone to work with what they ar doing?

just observation by reading the faq on metro's site

BUT!

im assuming just like pg said this means all non-lte phones will be obsolete and u will need a updated lte phone to work with what they ar doing?

Actually its not depended on LTE. Non LTE phones wont be obsolete. What about the people that dont care about 4G? The whole world doesn't use 4G, there are old people that just want a phone.

Regardless, T mobile is using Metro's band to STILL run HSPA+. So whether or not you have an LTE phone has nothing to do with it.

Quote from Cnet article

"The way it will work, according to the plan outlined by T-Mobile, is that the LTE service will run on AWS spectrum that is combined from T-Mobile and MetroPCS. And the new T-Mobile will use its and MetroPCS's PCS spectrum to deliver HSPA+ service. MetroPCS's current CDMA network will be phased out by the end of 2015."

"But over time, T-Mobile will be repurposing the the MetroPCS spectrum to work with T-Mobile's yet to be launched LTE service and it's existing HSPA+ service. This means that you will have to get a new handset, since over time, T-Mobile would get rid of the old CDMA voice network, and replace it with a GSM network. But because this change will happen over several years, most people will probably naturally upgrade to a new phone that will work on the new network. And for those who aren't inclined to change handsets within a year or 18 months, T-Mobile will likely offer incentives. But the reality is that you will eventually have to upgrade your handset."

I wanna know why LTE is better than everything else besides the fact it can achieve much higher speeds? Kinda pointless when your HSPA network can destroy Metro's LTE service. Especially when LTE battery life is laughable compared to HSPA.

Isn't that what the metro "buy an LTE phone and be eligible for the $30 promo plan" is about?

Back