• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 4G's Android 2.2 update starts trickling out July 30 (official OTA August 3rd)

im rooted with unrevoked3 what will i need to do to get this update?

The easiest thing is to do what I am going to do. Wait a day and the devs will have it fixed so we can have it and be rooted.

Or, if you are really worried, can't wait for it and don't want to try it overunrevoked3 (which would likely work but break your root), you can flash back to total stock and then update.

Me, I can wait a day longer. I can't wait for all the "froyo killed my cat" threads.

Upvote 0
People did the last OTA update over it and were fine. It just broke root, the problems were only with people that applied it twice.
If you naively believe that past experiences are a guarantee for future performance... you are destined for disaster.

If you don't want a brick, it doesn't hurt to take as many precautions as possible... and keep in mind any testing that is done is most likely done on regular units with stock/OEM Android builds.

Upvote 0
OK, let's face it.

The Froyo update for the EVO is now officially old news.

That said, we still have one piece of unfinished business.

There's a new rumor going around that part of the EVO shortage has been the holdback related to this because the next round of retail supply will coming new in the box with Froyo.

And that logjam's about to clear real soon now.

Reactions: Connectz
Upvote 0
If you naively believe that past experiences are a guarantee for future performance... you are destined for disaster.

If you don't want a brick, it doesn't hurt to take as many precautions as possible... and keep in mind any testing that is done is most likely done on regular units with stock/OEM Android builds.
Well that is what Im hoping since Unrevoked isnt a full root. But if need be I will be unrooting and also reverting back from the FPS fix kernel.

Upvote 0
I got a new EVO that had the old firmware 1.32.651.6 and did the 1.47.651.1 OTA update. After the update I was prompted to do it again, and went ahead (despite all the warnings, I wanted to see what would happen anyway) and to my surprise everything worked fine, no issues whatsoever.

:thinking::thinking::thinking:
Why would you take that chance when Evo's are so hard to come by?
Come to think of it.....why would you take that chance at all?

Upvote 0
Although this is exciting news, video recording still seems to be limited to 24 fps -_-

EVO 4G getting Android 2.2, loads of new features and fixes tomorrow? - Engadget Galleries

Even though they mentioned "light-assisted 720p video, and "improvement" to the quality of said video capture"

Let's just hope its much better than now. But "improvement" only because using a light in dark situations screams for solid white people. Flash is too bright. Other than that sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Although this is exciting news, video recording still seems to be limited to 24 fps -_-

EVO 4G getting Android 2.2, loads of new features and fixes tomorrow? - Engadget Galleries

Even though they mentioned "light-assisted 720p video, and "improvement" to the quality of said video capture"

Let's just hope its much better than now. But "improvement" only because using a light in dark situations screams for solid white people. Flash is too bright. Other than that sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Jury's still out - check out the next page.

I've gotta believe that the world of superphones is going H.264, just a matter of time.

And if they don't then I will courtesy of Cyanogen. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones