• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help EVO, black screen, buttons light up, DIDN'T drop phone, buying new battery has worked in the past?

taliawhat

Lurker
Nov 21, 2012
I am so fed up, that I joined an Android forum. So, hi, guys. :) I'll try to make this as straightforward as possible.

I have an HTC Evo 4g. My screen won't turn on, as if it's in sleep mode, but the buttons light up, the charging light lights up. When I power it off and on, I can tell it is powering on because the phone vibrates and it makes that annoying little song-noise when it powers up. The screen will NOT turn on. I REALLY don't want to do anything that wipes the information on my phone - I have too much that I need to back up!

Facts:

1. This problem has happened before. It has been resolved, both times, by buying a new battery pack and replacing it. The first time it happened, the battery was the battery that came with the phone. I replaced it with a super-battery, and I replaced the one after that with a super-battery. I would really prefer not having to get a new battery every couple months, though.

2. I have NOT recently dropped my phone, so I don't think that it is a connector issue, even though I have checked (I didn't exactly know what to look for, though, but I didn't see anything unplugged).

3. It has not been exposed to water.

4. This problem always seems to come up when I run a certain torrent app on my phone. First thing that I'm going to do when my phone works again, I'm deleting that app - sure, it could be a coincidence, but I thought that it was worth noting just in case. I don't understand why replacing the battery would solve this problem as it has in the past, though.

5. I don't think our phone is rooted or anything.

6. I can't try anything from the computer, because I can't make it run from the disk drive unless I am able to use the touch-screen of my phone, that I'm aware of.

Things I have tried:

1. Pulling the battery.

2. Removing the battery, plugging the phone in to the charger, and popping the battery back in while still connected to the charger (it vibrates).

3. Doing a hard reset (the buttons come on, but the screen stays black).

4. Removing the battery and pressing the copper coils closer together that the battery touches (no difference).

5. Checking the connector (I didn't exactly know what I was looking for, but I didn't drop my phone and it hasn't been the issue in the past, so it was a long shot anyway).

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!

Welcome to AF taliawhat:)
Nieltab might have a point there about it being hardware related, but you had mentioned this happens when you run an app?
Try this, pull the battery....wait about a minute, then reinsert battery.
While holding the volume down button, press and hold the power button.
The next screen that should come up is your bootloader screen. If that does not come on, then you for sure have a hardware issue. If that screen comes up, first take note of what it says and post that info back here.
In that screen, navigate the options with the volume up/down buttons and use the power button to make the selection.
Also from that screen, you can choose to reboot. If you dont see that option, highlight fastboot and select it, then you will see the option to reboot.
There is also an option to clear storage, but that will wipe your data, which you said you don't want to do.
See if you can reboot from that screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones