• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Exchanage sd card for bigger - booting from sd card though

Just got Nook Color this week. Started with a 8gb card and got everything working and setup well. I would like to exchange the 8gb for a 16gb to hold movies and more stuff. Is there a short cut to this? Or do I have to go through the whole process of install image, copy and install os, then re-setup all my settings for the "tablet"? Maybe process the format image and copy and paste hopefully?

Any help is appreciated - took many hours to get it setup just right hoping to not have to spend many hours resetting it up just to get bigger card.

Thanks

Couldn't you use Win32 Disk Imager to read the SD card and create a .img file? You could then turn around and write the image file to the new card.

We use this program to write an image file to the uSD, and it also has a "read" button. I haven't tried using the "read" button, so I don't know if it works...

Upvote 0
Just got Nook Color this week. Started with a 8gb card and got everything working and setup well. I would like to exchange the 8gb for a 16gb to hold movies and more stuff. Is there a short cut to this? Or do I have to go through the whole process of install image, copy and install os, then re-setup all my settings for the "tablet"? Maybe process the format image and copy and paste hopefully? ...

In linux, you can use the command
Code:
dd if={device} of={filename} ...
followed by the inverse
Code:
dd if={filename} of={device} ...

Since the initial input-file (if=) is a device, the command starts at byte-zero and reads until byte-last. The output-file (of=) gets a copy of all of those bytes.

When you reverse the process, all of the bytes in the file get written to the device -- partition table, boot record and all.

Once you have completed this operation, you can use gparted {device} to resize the "data" partition to use all of the as-yet not allocated space on the larger uSD card. Good luck.

An alternate approach will again use dd but copy each partition separately. Until you believe in the dd-command, you might find that
approach more comfortable.

It worked for me.
Viola! Clone complete!!
~~~ 0;-Dan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones