• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Factory Reset Protection. Help!

I just bought a new phone. My last phone had a terrible microphone so I decided to test the microphone on this one before I was going to keep it. The microphone was good enough. In order to test it I went through the set up wizard, which asked for a PIN number. I entered one. In order to download some software to try out the microphone, I created a new gmail account so that I could use Google Play. Once I was happy with the microphone, I turned it off with the intention of performing a factory reset and then setting the phone up properly with my usual gmail account when I had enough time. It lay in a drawer for a couple of weeks. I have now done a factory reset, but when I attempted to complete the set up wizard, it wanted to know the PIN that I had used when I was testing it. Unfortunately, I can't remember it. What can I say? I'm an old man who is losing his memory. The other option is to input the gmail account credentials, but I can't remember the password for that account. When I try to click on "Forgot password?" it responds by saying "You didn't provide enough info for Google to be sure that this account is really yours. Google asks for this info to keep your account secure." So that was no help.

I don't remember these things and didn't bother writing them down because I had intended to do a factory reset. I had no idea about "Factory Reset Protection", as I have now discovered it is called.

Is there any way that Google can unlock this for me. It is a brand new phone and I simply do not have the money to replace it. Had I known about this FRP function then I would not have fallen foul of this.

When I was asked for a PIN, can anyone tell me how many digits the setup wizard would have asked for? Is it the same for all phones with android installed? If I knew how long the PIN was I would have a better chance of guessing it.

Any ideas anyone?
Thank you in advance.

well on my z fold 6 the pin can be up to 6 digits.

and yeah FRP is a great security tool as you are finding out. looks like you will have to do a hard reset. to do that it is usually a combo of power + volume buttons. keep in mind that after performing the reset, it will ask you for the google account info you originally used to set the phone up.so you will need to figure out what you used to begin with. you can try using google's forget passoword and see if you can at least get into the account.

what phone do you have? this will determine what button combo you need to do the hard reset.

Last edited:
Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones