• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Fastboot setting gone?

today

Android Expert
Has lollipop update done away with the fastboot option? Can't find it. Always left it off anyway. Started looking for it when I tried to help my nephew clear his lgg3 cache after his lollipop update through Verizon has dorked his battery life.

Is there some other shortcut still available to perform a hard reset? (Like vol down + power when off or similar) Fast boot is fine but I don't want it all the time. Seems like it fast boots always now - when the phone comes back up, all previously opened apps are still open.

Is there some other shortcut still available to perform a hard reset? (Like vol down + power when off or similar) Fast boot is fine but I don't want it all the time. Seems like it fast boots always now - when the phone comes back up, all previously opened apps are still open.
OK - I just did a full check on a stock Lollipop M8 (Sprint, my wife's lol hence the delay).

It's like this - there's two things you're seeing.

First, if you've ever been warned away from automatically task killers for Android because it messes with the built-in task manager and the Android caching system, then that's a big part of what you're seeing.

Secondly, you're now using the new ART (Android run time) where everything is precompiled and ready to run, whereas in KitKat and before, you used the Dalvik virtual machine where apps had to load and compile before you could do anything.

Android has always saved the cached state of apps, ready to go after a restart - but - you couldn't see that before with the recent apps button after cycling power (it's always been there, just hidden) and it didn't feel like that because it took longer to load an app, compile it, and fast forward to where it was.

Welcome to the future. :D

WifelyMon was playing solitaire, she let me power cycle her phone (not restart, full power cycle), so I did - and went to recent apps, pulled up solitaire exactly where she left it - and then ran RAM Truth - here are the results -

1430355757649.jpg

All of that stuff Hibernating - most was in memory before - got saved to storage as a snapshot of where the apps were at - and then got reloaded to the RAM cache after power on.

Because of the magic of ART, it looks like they are still running - but they're simply cached.

Running vs cached - it's like (runners on base) vs (batter on deck and players in the dugout).

They're all in the game but not active on the field the same way.

(Lmao - hopefully I'm not the only baseball fan here and that analogy made sense instead of confusion!)

The fastboot power feature always made sense on paper and it demo'd well in 2012 but it's been nothing but a support and compatibility problem for most of its lifetime. Good riddance says I!

With Lollipop and ART and a super fast processor like the Snapdragon 801, it's just not going to be missed.

If you would like to check for yourself and see what's going on with your RAM (and therefore know how much is running and how much is just ready to run) then check out "RAM Truth"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sa.ramtruth

@scary alien and I put it together so you know that you can trust it.

Tap each line for a clear cut explanation of what each part means, in simple, meaningful terms.

It's free, has no ads, needs no special permissions, and has no hooks, catches, or gotchas.

We made it so regular folks could know what Linux/Android experts know about what's happening under the hood - without being roped into needing to learn more about Android.

It's really simple and really informative, and we made it exactly to answer questions like these.

And there's absolutely nothing else like it.

Hope this helps, ask if I've chattered away and got too complicated. :)

Last edited:
Another example - watch a movie part way through on Netflix or Hulu.

Pause the movie.

Restart your phone or pc (whichever you were watching it with) restart the app, go to the movie.

Netflix and Hulu remember exactly where you left off and let you pick up right from there.

But the movie wasn't running - so how did it know?

The movie state was cached, that's how.

Apps are the same exact way in Android.

And with Lollipop, you can finally see that even after cycling power.

And just like the movie didn't automatically run after power cycling - neither do the apps.

It's all just so fast now that you can't tell the difference.

Better explanation? :)

EarlyMon, does this mean the with Lollipop we should avoid things like''AppCache Cleaner', '1 Tap Boost', and 'Clean Master'? Will they actually slow the phones?

Back
Top Bottom