• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FINALLY A WORKING JELLY BEAN ROM!! Public release! Update from ICS!

Do you want more dev for this phone or is it time to let it go?

• Total voters
So, I've flashed both Jellybean ROM's here and it seems to me that the FreedomPop version drains the battery faster than sawbones. Also, I have noticed an issue with the Play Store on the Jellybean FreedomPop ROM that was occurring with the stock FreedomPop ROM as well. Every once in a while the Play Store will stop working and display an error. The only way to fix it is to clear the app cache and then the app starts to work again. Am I the only one seeing this error? I didn't see it happen on sawbones ROM, but the stock FreedomPop ROM and the Jellybean FreedomPop ROM seem to both manifest the issue within an hour or two of use. Here's a screencap of the error.
View attachment 84151

It seems its an issue with newer versions of Google Play Services/Play Store.

Try:

First go to Settings> Apps>

Find the Google Play Store app and press enter "clear data".
Then look for "Google Play Services and press enter "clear data"

Then restart the phone, wait a minute and then retry.

If you still have issues, try downloading the rom again. I removed the updated Google Play Services so it will have to update itself. I do get that error first time opening the unupdated play store but after hitting retry it connects. After awhile Play Store and Google Play Services auto update themselves (when I am connected to wifi). After Play Store updates you should get to accept terms prompt.

If not,

Go to Settings> Apps>

Find the Google Play Store app under Downloaded and press enter then "clear data" and reopen play store. You should get to accept terms again. I think this solves the problem.

Otherwise, go to

settings>accounts>Google>choose your account>hit apps key>remove account
settings>accounts>add account>sync and follow screen prompts

John

Last edited:
It seems its an issue with newer versions of Google Play Services.

Try:

Then restart the phone, wait a minute and ready.

If this does not work then try:

John

So, once I clear the app cache it works like I said. But then it will stop working again later. I had the same issue with the stock ROM. I even tried deleting the Google account and recreating it ... again after a bit of use the error creeps up.

It seems its an issue with newer versions of Google Play Services/Play Store.

Try:

Then restart the phone, wait a minute and then retry.

If you still have issues, try downloading the rom again. I removed the updated Google Play Services so it will have to update itself. I do get that error first time opening the unupdated play store but after hitting retry it connects. After awhile Play Store and Google Play Services auto update themselves (when I am connected to wifi). After Play Store updates you should get to accept terms prompt.

If not,

Go to Settings> Apps>

Find the Google Play Store app under Downloaded and press enter then "clear data" and reopen play store. You should get to accept terms again. I think this solves the problem.

Otherwise, go to

John

Haven't tried the flashing the ROM again. I'll try re-downloading it and starting from scratch again.

My FreedomPop Force ICS ROM has battery problem - Always shutdown at near 33% battery. So, I tried to update to JB.
I used ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES and ConnectionOptimizer.apk in this thread. So far it works fine, feels faster, although there are some issues:
1. Network seems have less signal than old ROM. For example: In several locations, old ROM reports 2~3bar 3G signal, new ROM reports 0~1 bar 4G signal. My experience is old ROM works better in weak signal places. In good signal 4G places, all work fine.
2. Battery problem is still same, no change.

Haven't tried the flashing the ROM again. I'll try re-downloading it and starting from scratch again.

I started from scratch and re-added my changes back. I also left in most original apps so a lot of apps will need updated now. Download the latest file 3/23/15 at 11:40 A.M.

John

Last edited:
My FreedomPop Force ICS ROM has battery problem - Always shutdown at near 33% battery. So, I tried to update to JB.
I used ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES and ConnectionOptimizer.apk in this thread. So far it works fine, feels faster, although there are some issues:
1. Network seems have less signal than old ROM. For example: In several locations, old ROM reports 2~3bar 3G signal, new ROM reports 0~1 bar 4G signal. My experience is old ROM works better in weak signal places. In good signal 4G places, all work fine.
Did you go into settings->mobile networks to enable or disable connections optimizer?
If not may try the opposite setting to see which way gives you better results.

Is there anyway I can use a different messaging app with freedompop besides theirs? I would much prefer google messenger.

You have to use FreedomPop's if you want it deducted from your text messaging limit. You can use some others ( I use TextNow which provides another phone number so I can MMS) but when you send a text it deducts it from your data allowance. Not all messaging apps are compatible - the default messaging app included with Android is one of those. The FreedomPop app is based off of CSipSimple.

[GUIDE] FreedomPop & Google Voice full intergration work around using CSipSimple:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2595081

• Can be used to replace the FreedomPop Messaging app for calls and data usage
  • Cannot be used for texting to your FreedomPop number since the FreedomPop Messaging app will have to be uninstalled
  • Can be used for Google Voice number dialing
  • Can be used for texting with a Google Voice phone number
I tested this option without doing any filters since I wasnt going to use a google voice number:

I was able to send texts (to another freedompop user) but not receive them using my freedompop number. I was able to receive calls and send calls (but I had to use a 1 before the number when dialing).

Last edited:
I'm happily using sawbones999's JB on ZTE Force from Freedompop. Thanks!

I'm most concerned about battery life. It seems that, except for wifi, most of the battery is not used by the screen brightness nor even supposedly resource hungry apps, but rather the sensors in "Android System".

Using the Google Play store app "Battery Monitor Widget", on the statistics tab it lists two sensors as using the overwhelming majority of battery (since previous charge):
30.67% out of 55.61% for Freescale MMA845X Accelerometer
18.39% out of 55.61% for Light Sensor TSL2771

At one point during my experiments I was able to get rid of the accelerometer power usage (I think I by disabling the auto screen rotate). I have tried to disable the automatic brightness detection, but that didn't seem to affect the light sensor battery usage. So at this point I'm most concerned about the light sensor.

I also tried using the "Hardware Disabler" app (I can't find it on the Google Play store now, & I can't recall where I found it), but none of the devices listed were the light sensor (I determined this by doing a web search for each of the listed device model numbers).

Running "lsmod" on the "Terminal Emulator" app only lists wlan.

I did a web search for "linux tsl2771" and found http://lwn.net/Articles/439746/, which shows that this chip also provides the proximity sensor. While I'd like to just disable this chip (maybe there's a kernel boot parameter that can be used?), I'd also still like to use this device as a phone, which means that we need the proximity sensor, so disabling just the light sensor functionality may be what's required to reduce the battery drain. How can this be achieved?

Received my phone today, installed Buzbee's version of the JB ROM without issues and have been happy with the performance. Antutu score of almost 21k narrowly edges out my previous beater phone (LG Volt), though that phone has a larger screen and weighs less.

I have noticed the exact same situation that Ponow describes with respect to battery usage (and it does seem quite excessive).

Hopefully someone with a bit more under the hood knowledge can take a look and determine what the issue is.

I would like to keep the accelerometer working as I plan to use this device primarily for outdoor activities / exercising.

-------------EDIT BELOW--------------

Just wanted to add that this is a Freedompop phone, and while 3G and 4G both work, for whatever reason the phone thinks it has not been activated.

i had the similar problem with battery. it would randomly lose charge and shutdown. usually it happened around 30-40% but once it happened when the battery was nearly full. i think the battery is a piece of crap. i asked freedompop for a replacement, it still loses charge (around 20% now). might just invest for a good battery.

Received my phone today, installed Buzbee's version of the JB ROM without issues and have been happy with the performance. Antutu score of almost 21k narrowly edges out my previous beater phone (LG Volt), though that phone has a larger screen and weighs less.

I have noticed the exact same situation that Ponow describes with respect to battery usage (and it does seem quite excessive).

Hopefully someone with a bit more under the hood knowledge can take a look and determine what the issue is.

I would like to keep the accelerometer working as I plan to use this device primarily for outdoor activities / exercising.

-------------EDIT BELOW--------------

Just wanted to add that this is a Freedompop phone, and while 3G and 4G both work, for whatever reason the phone thinks it has not been activated.

As long as the messaging app finds your phone number you are good to go. The activate this device menu in settings does not appear to do anything.

I'm happily using sawbones999's JB on ZTE Force from Freedompop. Thanks!

I'm most concerned about battery life. It seems that, except for wifi, most of the battery is not used by the screen brightness nor even supposedly resource hungry apps, but rather the sensors in "Android System".

Using the Google Play store app "Battery Monitor Widget", on the statistics tab it lists two sensors as using the overwhelming majority of battery (since previous charge):
30.67% out of 55.61% for Freescale MMA845X Accelerometer
18.39% out of 55.61% for Light Sensor TSL2771

At one point during my experiments I was able to get rid of the accelerometer power usage (I think I by disabling the auto screen rotate). I have tried to disable the automatic brightness detection, but that didn't seem to affect the light sensor battery usage. So at this point I'm most concerned about the light sensor.

I also tried using the "Hardware Disabler" app (I can't find it on the Google Play store now, & I can't recall where I found it), but none of the devices listed were the light sensor (I determined this by doing a web search for each of the listed device model numbers).

Running "lsmod" on the "Terminal Emulator" app only lists wlan.

I did a web search for "linux tsl2771" and found http://lwn.net/Articles/439746/, which shows that this chip also provides the proximity sensor. While I'd like to just disable this chip (maybe there's a kernel boot parameter that can be used?), I'd also still like to use this device as a phone, which means that we need the proximity sensor, so disabling just the light sensor functionality may be what's required to reduce the battery drain. How can this be achieved?

Try uninstalling the FreedomPop app then check battery usage. Back in Nov 2013 someone stated

"FreedomPop's Messaging app is just a custom flavor of the CSipSimple open source SIP app. I would like to assume that they did some tweaking of it to make it work better, but in my testing I have arrived at the contrary conclusion. They seem to have made it so the Messaging app constantly has a wake-lock on which kills battery life."

In 2014, FreedomPop was suppose to fix that but I am not sure they ever did.

It works now in the latest version .Try downloading FreedomPop version again. (same link).

I think I fixed that issue with my FreedomPop Rom. Latest version is 3/18/15 at 9:33 P.M. EST. See Page 4 for link. Pretty cool how Dropbox allows you to just upload changes and not the whole rom. It even allows you to revert back to older versions. It uses the same share link too.

Download the latest file 3/21/15 at 8:32 P.M.

this might be a useful feature for the uploader.

but as a downloader, we can't see any exact revision timestamps at least as far as I can tell. there are no version numbers and the link remains the same as you mention, so it makes it difficult to verify what revision has been downloaded.

maybe post hash values of the .zip? some other solution? thanks.

Here are the major application changes from the Sawbones (debloated) 4.1.2 to FreedomPop 4.1.2:

Sprint Voicemail (removed)

Google App (updated)
Google Play Services (updated)
Google Play Store (updated)

Connections Optimizer (add back)
Chrome (add back)
Exchange Services (add back)
Google Play Books (add back)
Google Play Movies & TV (add back)
Google Play Music (add back)
Google Play Newsstand (add back)
Google+ (add back)
Hangouts (add back)
Maps (add back)
Media Share (Twonky) (add back)
Talkback (add back)
Swype (add back)
WiFi Direct (add back) (Not sure what it does since it does not appear in app list)
World time (add back)
YouTube (add back)

Camcorder (shortcut) (add)
ES File Explorer (add)
Evervolv Power Control Widgets (add)
Google Now Launcher (add)
Google Play Games (add)
Messaging (FreedomPop) (add)
MyFreedomPop App (add)
Setup Wizard (add)
Slickdeals App (add)
Terminal Emulator (add)
Visual Voicemail (FreedomPop) (add)
Wallet (add)
WiFi Tether (add)

Last edited:
You can now have all the apps from the FreedomPop version without all the FreedomPop apps but with the Sprint Apps instead (Sprint Mobile ID, Sprint Voicemail, Sprint Zone).

Note: Sprint Zone does not appear in my list of apps on my FreedomPop phone. I think its suppose to show up as "Sprint Zone" for Sprint users, "Boost Zone" for Boost Mobile users, and "My Account" for Virgin Mobile users. Correct me if I am wrong and do let me know if this app does shows up on these carriers.

Instructions (works on Sawbones rom too to convert to Sprint, Boost, or Virgin):

Boot into recovery.
Wipe Dalvik Cache (advanced menu)
Wipe Cache.
Wipe Data/Factory Reset
Install the FreedomPop version rom or Sawbones rom.
DO NOT REBOOT YET!
Install one of the undo zips below.
Reboot.

Download the undo for your carrier:

Generic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiqie21s3ckhr9t/undoFP.zip?dl=0

Sprint:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b59uqfzc5wytz6y/undoFP - Sprint.zip?dl=0

Virgin Mobile:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3amq6ed2wrlkqt8/undoFP - Virgin.zip?dl=0

Boost:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5gf2fgj973qou4/undoFP - Boost.zip?dl=0

The generic version will display the "android" boot animation just like the sawbones version and should be safe for all users.

The other carrier versions will display their own carrier's boot animation. Virgin Mobile even has its own boot sound. On Sprint's version, it also creates a slightly different Sprint Mobile ID app icon (normal icon but with a yellow outline).

I can not test whether the other carrier versions causes any ill effects (like MMS not working). If you have any issues please report them in this thread and go back to the generic version and see if that fixes your problem.

Last edited:
Hi, I tested 4.1 and feel 4.04 suits me better so I want to downgrade to ICS. First I tried to use CWM 6.0.4.4 to reboot to bootloader, it boots into black screen. Any idea?

To use adb mode then fastboot, do I need to install adb drive first?

Or can you post the modified the updater-script so that the Update.zip can be installed directly from CWM?

TIA.

If you flash this and decide that you want to go back to an ICS rom you will have to install the ZTE boost rom from the zte site at this link FIRST
http://www.zteusa.com/media/wysiwyg/boost-force/update.zip

Just making a nandroid and flashing back to it will not work.

That is because this JB update will update your aboot, modem, tz, and other firmware partitions to the version required for Jelly Bean and a nandroid will not backup these partitions. If you flash an ICS rom right after this without using the zte boost rom to first restore those partitions it will not boot. You have been forewarned. Also you need to use the original recovery which is stickied in the forum to flash the ZTE update.zip (unless you care to modify the updater-script first). If you have CWM you can use that to reboot to bootloader, or adb, and then use fastboot to boot the original recovery image. After you reflash the ZTE boost ROM if you want to reinstall CWM and go back to your nandroid, install CM or DSF, whatever, reroot with towelroot then follow the instructions for installing CWM recovery.

Last edited:
Is this the one Freedompop used in the latest patch of device delivered? how different between these two (latest rom coming with the new devices from freedompop vs this rom posted here)?

I got my phone today and found the rom is 4.1.2. But 1) it does not have Google map; 2) the tether requires subscription; 3)no native brower, only chrome;

Here are the major application changes from the Sawbones (debloated) 4.1.2 to FreedomPop 4.1.2:

Sprint Voicemail (removed)

Google App (updated)
Google Play Services (updated)
Google Play Store (updated)

Connections Optimizer (add back)
Chrome (add back)
Exchange Services (add back)
Google Play Books (add back)
Google Play Movies & TV (add back)
Google Play Music (add back)
Google Play Newsstand (add back)
Google+ (add back)
Hangouts (add back)
Maps (add back)
Media Share (Twonky) (add back)
Talkback (add back)
Swype (add back)
WiFi Direct (add back) (Not sure what it does since it does not appear in app list)
World time (add back)
YouTube (add back)

Camcorder (shortcut) (add)
ES File Explorer (add)
Evervolv Power Control Widgets (add)
Google Now Launcher (add)
Google Play Games (add)
Messaging (FreedomPop) (add)
MyFreedomPop App (add)
Setup Wizard (add)
Slickdeals App (add)
Terminal Emulator (add)
Visual Voicemail (FreedomPop) (add)
Wallet (add)
WiFi Tether (add)

Is this the one Freedompop used in the latest patch of device delivered? how different between these two (latest rom coming with the new devices from freedompop vs this rom posted here)?

I got my phone today and found the rom is 4.1.2. But 1) it does not have Google map; 2) the tether requires subscription; 3)no native brower, only chrome;

My FreedomPop version has maps, native browser, and a wifi tether application which allows free tether without subscription (but it breaks wifi afterwards so you have to reboot after using it).

They probably modified Sawbones or my FreedomPop version. Could you make an Online Nandroid backup and upload it?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1620255/

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/a...r/part_layouts/zip/part_detect_tool.hayes.zip

Hi, I tested 4.1 and feel 4.04 suits me better so I want to downgrade to ICS. First I tried to use CWM 6.0.4.4 to reboot to bootloader, it boots into black screen. Any idea?

To use adb mode then fastboot, do I need to install adb drive first?

Or can you post the modified the updater-script so that the Update.zip can be installed directly from CWM?

TIA.

Bootloader is suppose to be blank. I asked that question too. Easy way to go back to ICS is to follow my instructions in post #94 if you remembered to make a backup in recovery. (page 4).

If not, see post #97 to use the Update.zip. To install the driver, choose install driver after plugging your phone into your computers usb port.

Last edited:
Try uninstalling the FreedomPop app then check battery usage.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try uninstalling it but didn't notice a big power usage difference. I later reinstalled it as I'm still using it for calls. I'll probably migrate to Google Voice at some point.

Last edited:
Thanks for your labors. The ZTE bootloader is a blank screen, but before I flashed it, my Freedompop Force displayed a menu like that on my Freedompop Evo Design 4G offering HBOOT, fastboot, recovery, and system as options -- how should this component be described and do you know how to restore it? How can the boot-up sound be disabled? It didn't play on ICS and I don't see a setting under "sound". Any progress on overclocking?

Thanks for your labors. The ZTE bootloader is a blank screen, but before I flashed it, my Freedompop Force displayed a menu like that on my Freedompop Evo Design 4G offering HBOOT, fastboot, recovery, and system as options -- how should this component be described and do you know how to restore it? How can the boot-up sound be disabled? It didn't play on ICS and I don't see a setting under "sound". Any progress on overclocking?

It probably displayed the original recovery. I have never seen any bootloader for Force. The bootloader you described sound like an HTC. The boot sound came from my FreedomPop HTC EVO 4G. You can disable it by going to system/etc/Bootsound.mp3 in ES File Explorer and deleting the file.

Back
Top Bottom