• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root finally attempting root, having some trouble...help please

Tboltfan25

Android Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2011
NJ
I am following the videos for setting up SDK and ADB from the sticky, everyone has said if i follow the video word for word, i cannot mess it up and it really isnt that difficult, the part I am not seeming to understand is I cant get my device ID or serial to show up when i type ADB Devices into the command prompt, what have i set up incorrectly???

anyone know if this guide is easier to follow??

[RS Guide] How to Root Your Thunderbolt

I think I am going to follow this walkthrough bc it seems like it makes it slightly easier to understand for people who arent familar with the "root" world...

I am determined now, before bed tonight i want to be rooted, and tomorrow i want to attempt to flash my first rom..

Upvote 0
okay...I just finished installing HTC Sync/drivers..I watched the first setup ADB video, set everything up, tested it after i watched it through once, and my device is now showing up with the device ID...so I am now currently watching the 2-9 video, and following along with this guide...[ROOT] MR1/OTA PermRoot + Unlock Bootloader - Safer/Easier 5/12/2011 - xda-developers

after the 3 downloads finish and I have everything I need to begin, I will be going through the tutorial step by step, while watching the video as I go, and hoping that I don't brick it...Wish me luck!

Any advice for me? am i going about things right?

Upvote 0
Copy paste every command in ADB. Don't rush. Check the MD5 sums of the downloads before you start just to make sure the download went perfectly. If you follow the guide everything should go smoothly. Some of the steps where the phone is flashing things take a long time (or it seems that way) don't fret if it is taking a while just sit back or go smoke a cig (it is never too late to start) and come back.

If you run into any issues use IRC linked in that post and feel free to ask, you will get answers quicker with IRC than posting on forums.

Good luck

Upvote 0
It probably sounds stupid but I am SO worried about bricking this phone and it becoming a paperweight bc I've never done this before. If i may ask you, (since you seem to be the most helpful person i've encountered since i joined AF, assuming all goes well, what would you advise me to do once I AM rooted later this evening? is there anything out there I can do to improve battery life/make the phone faster? Any particular apps a "must have" once your rooted? Basically what I'm getting at, is where do I go once I'm actually rooted, what's next?

Upvote 0
i would highly reccomend the guide on xda,like you are doing. other guides may leave you with older firmware at the end of the process.

also,i think youve figured it out... dont try and use the video as a guide. follow the xda guide,but watch the video a couple times first to get an idea what it looks like and what youre doing.

rest assured,the chance of bricking is slim. the only spots where there is danger are the spots that require you to make sure the output of an adb command matches the md5 in the guide. as long as you get matches,you should be perfectly safe :)

if you get a different output,STOP. dont procede and someone will help you figure out what to do so you dont brick.

getting adb set up and seeing your phone is the hard part. once you get that working,its all down hill from there :D

Upvote 0
i would highly reccomend the guide on xda,like you are doing. other guides may leave you with older firmware at the end of the process.

also,i think youve figured it out... dont try and use the video as a guide. follow the xda guide,but watch the video a couple times first to get an idea what it looks like and what youre doing.

rest assured,the chance of bricking is slim. the only spots where there is danger are the spots that require you to make sure the output of an adb command matches the md5 in the guide. as long as you get matches,you should be perfectly safe :)

if you get a different output,STOP. dont procede and someone will help you figure out what to do so you dont brick.

getting adb set up and seeing your phone is the hard part. once you get that working,its all down hill from there :D

Thanks so much for reassuring me. I got all the components downloaded, I will be starting to root in a bit. want to make sure I won't be getting any more calls/texts/interruptions for the evening lol. But if I get an output that does not exactly match what is posted in the guide, I leave everything as is, don't unplug or anything, and then start looking for help?

Upvote 0
But if I get an output that does not exactly match what is posted in the guide, I leave everything as is, don't unplug or anything, and then start looking for help?

correct. the important part is in step 6,while writing the s-off bootloader. if the md5 doesnt match the second time you request its output in step 6,go to web chat for help.

the other times that you need to compare are important,but not quite so much as this time. if it doesnt match the second time,it means something happend to it while writing. your phone will be useless(translation: a brick) without a functional hboot,so its very important that this step goes smoothly and you dont freak out or reboot if you do get a mismatch.

but like i said,chances of that are slim :)

Upvote 0
Thanks so much!

I'll keep you posted when I eventually get it done tonight lol. I may even just wait until tomorrow morning at this rate bc I'm getting tired, and I've got the hard part of it all done, just gotta start up the PC in the am, and copy and paste and then I'm not sure where I go next. What apps should I get? what should i do once im rooted to start enjoying the fact that I actually will be rooted.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much!

I'll keep you posted when I eventually get it done tonight lol. I may even just wait until tomorrow morning at this rate bc I'm getting tired, and I've got the hard part of it all done, just gotta start up the PC in the am, and copy and paste and then I'm not sure where I go next. What apps should I get? what should i do once im rooted to start enjoying the fact that I actually will be rooted.

first thing id do is boot into clockwork recovery and make a backup. make one of the completely stock,unsetup rom right away. boot back into it,then set it up to your liking. when youve done that,go back to clockwork and make another backup. its not that big a deal,but i find it helpful to have a completely "clean" backup of the stock rom. plus its good practice ;)

root APPs youll want: titanium backup free and paid(its well worth it,dont be a tight ass ;)),and root explorer are at the top of the list. dro-cap is nice for taking screen shots. a wireless tether app of course ;)

as far as roms,you may want to run the stock one a day or 2 while you research what ones you want to try. read as much as you can. look at screenies and read thru the last few pages of the developers threads to get an idea what the current issues are.

last and not least,dont use rom manager to download/backup/wipe/flash roms. use clockwork recovery- its much safer IMO.

nothing wrong with waiting till am and getting a refreshed start. im off to bed myself, if im not around in the am,yeahha and others will be to help you. :)

good luck,and have fun. enjoy the experience,so youll be able to help others,and be proud that you didnt root your phone with a lame "one click" app :D

Reactions: Tboltfan25
Upvote 0
Sorry got off work and had kids to deal with. Once you root you can flash different roms and radios so you can use netflix different kernels allow for over clocking and making the phone faster. You can uninstall bloatware, when is the last time you used that blockbuster app really? If you can't commit to going thru with the entire process tonight then waiting is the best idea. Scotty is also a good person here at af he has helped create many of the stickys in the tb root section

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones