• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

firmware package update?

mikeca

Android Enthusiast
Under settings-check for updates, it is telling me there is a firmware package update available. Anyone tried this or know what it is?

The update still isn't showing for me in North Carolina. Does seem to be a regional rollout, as I recall seeing somewhere that someone in NJ has it.

The issue I have is I don't want to activate a new phone on my service and discontinue the first one just to find out. Would it be updateable over WiFi w/o activation? I have an unrooted one htat we can test with

Missed that, thanks.

I can verify that the update will fail before it even reboots, no exit code, on my rooted Rise.

I didn't see the update until today. Not even going to bother until cwm recovery is out. If it really does block rooting, best to avoid it anyways.

r

Does anyone know the reason for the update? I suspect that it is to address the security flaw described here. This article is worth reading in any case, since it discusses how android fragmentation leads to many phones lacking security patches

‘Fragmentation’ leaves Android phones vulnerable to hackers, scammers - The Washington Post

I think they're badly referencing this:

http://androidforums.com/kyocera-rise/671054-security-rise-vulnerable-ussd-remote-wipe-attack.html

copy the update file to the root of the sd card and reboot in recovery mode. Follow the on screen prompts from there under update.

r

I doubt it would work this way, considering the files don't ever touch the sd card.

Also, I successfully updated. I was rooted, and am still rooted. I didn't do anything special except for remove the files I replaced, and restore the backed up files. Honestly, not sure what problems everybody is having. Maybe there are issues downloading it over 3g vs WiFi?

I doubt it would work this way, considering the files don't ever touch the sd card.

Also, I successfully updated. I was rooted, and am still rooted. I didn't do anything special except for remove the files I replaced, and restore the backed up files. Honestly, not sure what problems everybody is having. Maybe there are issues downloading it over 3g vs WiFi?

I just download over Wi-fi and i still get errors.

I'm rooted and I get the error.

I... Er... Don't have backups of my removed files. How stable is the update?

I am not yet rooted. Is there consensus as to whether I can root AFTER applying the update?

I am willing to take some risks since I am currently only using this as an "ipod touch" and am still using an older phone for my virgin mobile account.

Back
Top Bottom