• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First time rooted question

OK, I am mostly following the video on our forum to root, but am also referencing the text instructions in the sticky in our forum. Now that I have adb set up, I guess I have to do the rest of the rooting steps all at one time. I have only skimmed the video and instructions so far, but I have several questions to help me understand what I am about to do conceptually. I don't know how to order my questions so I'll list them in no particular order.

1. I download three files to gain root access, but I only seem to manually do anything with two of the files(I don't see where you do anything with the exploits file). Is that correct or did I miss something?

2. With all of the rebooting going on in the video to gain root access, I could not tell if the phone had to be repeatedly disconnected and reconnected to my cpu. Is there any point during the process that I will need to disconnect from my cpu or do I leave my phone connected during the entire process without disconnecting?

3. The end of the video says to download Rom Manager, but I have read elsewhere in our forum that Rom Manager is not a program to use and is not needed. Clockwork should already be installed on the rooted RUU, and so I could immediately flash a rom without Rom Manager. Do I have that right?

4. I did not really see anything on flashing a Rom once root access is achieved, but I know I need to flash one immediately to stop my phone from prompting me for updates. So I assume the process goes: root; now you could technically run the phone forever on the rooted RUU but that will cause update prompts, so you flash a new rom and radio after achieving root. Thus, flashing the new rom isn't something that technically needs to be done at a specific moment in the rooting process to avoid effing up phone(example: I could stare at my rooted phone for a few minutes or an hour before flashing the new rom/radio vs. I need to do it right then and there without letting the screen go dark). Is that correct?

5. Is flashing a new rom something that will require me to connect to my cpu every time I do it or can the entire process be carried out on my phone by itself?

6. How do you actually flash a rom?

7. I'm a big fantasy football guy and NFL Mobile app(which requires a Verizon V-Cast Videos subscription) is the whole reason I am on Verizon. I read in another thread on our forum that you may need to run a Sense rom to have the app function, but it was unclear( http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/383520-need-help-nfl-mobile-app-cm7.html ). Do I need to run certain roms to use NFL Mobile? The same question for apps like V-Cast Videos and My Verizon(though I don't really care about either)?

Upvote 0
1 Unzip exploits to the platform-tools folder of the sdk

2 If I recall correctly I didn't need to disconnect my phone at all

3 I do not believe rom manager is needed

4 You can run on the ruu but if you accept the update it will cause problems

5 No you can download and flash all on the phone

6 See the terminology sticky

7 some carrier specific apps may have issues with AOSP builds but if it doesn't work on one rom try a different one

Reactions: jackdubl
Upvote 0
Clockwork Recovery is already installed on the RUU in the root instructions, correct?

As a newb I figure I should just flash the Mr2 updated stock rom first, then make a backup, then start fiddling with other roms.

Gonna back up my sd card before I start, even though I'm pretty sure nothing I could do will mess that up.

Upvote 0
I downloaded md5summer for windows, but I'm not sure how to use it to verify the md5sum. It can't see the zip files that I have downloaded to my computer(so far the Mr2 rom and radio zip files). Is it able to read them once they are on my sd card? I'm not supposed to use my computer to unzip any of the roms or radios, right?

Upvote 0
if your phone is plugged in and in disk drive mode,your md5 summer should work. they are all a lil different... the one i have on my pc,i right click on the file,then click file verifier from the menu that pops up,then md5 hash(IIRC) from the next menu that pops up. it creates a little folder in whatever folder the file is in called "checksums" inside will be the filename,md5 etc. ive seen others where you drag the file to a box on the desktop,drop it in,and then it spits out an md5.

that is correct-do not extract the roms,RUUs,or radios. only thing you will extract is for the root process. yuo will extract the contents of exploits to your tools or platform tools folder,dep on how youve set up adb and where you will be pushing the files from

Upvote 0
Getting ready to begin. Still not quite sure how to flash the updated stock rom/radio after I achieve root. I flash both of the PM05IMG files through the hboot, now how do I flash the updated rom/radio? Do I just place the unzipped files on the sd card and flash with cwm, or do I have to use the hboot again?

Edit: ok, looks like the rom is through cwm and the radio through hboot?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones