• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing in Emergency Mode / Somehow?

Jimmy422

So my phone refused to boot with my old battery. I got a new one, and now on boot the LG logo comes up and does not go away. I tried going into recovery, but all I get now is a black screen in recovery. ADB doesn't see my phone. So the only thing so far that has worked is Emergency Mode. When I go into that my computer will recognize the phone. ADB, however, still can't see the phone.

So can I flash anything from here to get back into my phone? If not, what can I try to get past the LG logo and or get back into recovery?

What else, if anything, have you done to your phone. This is important info for us, so we can get to the root of the problem. Don't leave anything out, even if you might think it has no bearing on the problem. It will help paint us a picture of your phone before it messed up.

Easier to troubleshoot a problem and give a solution/workaround.

Okay. I bought the phone like 4 months ago. In that time I've rooted, installed BACKside, and installed the custom recovery for new screens. Everything has been working great until two days ago - I left the phone plugged into the computer all night. I'm assuming the battery overcharged, as when I woke up in the morning the phone was flashing between a black screen and the LG logo. I unplugged it and it went off. It would not power on. Putting a voltmeter on the battery revealed that it was at 2.6v, which is very far away from the 3.7 it should have been. I put a new battery in and sure enough it came on. However, it's not booting past the LG logo. No matter how long I wait it just sits there. Plugging it into the wall results in the same thing - it's not going to the battery charging screen, only the LG logo.

I'm thinking it tried to do a factory reset sometime during the night, as it sounds like just that happened, however I don't know this for sure at all.

Try to do a soft reset. Pull battery (the one that has a good charge) and and hold down the power button for 30 sec.
After soft reset Re-install battery and Hold down home+volume down then power button( all at the same time), until you hopefully see the lg logo, then let go of the buttons. It should hopefully boot into your recovery menu. If you still get a black screen go to the sticky^ "The Truth About ROM Manager". There is a workaround for the black screen in recovery.

Don't worry if your phone doesn't seem to be recognized by the PC after the install of the ADB. If for some reason after getting Droid@Screen set up and operating properly and your phone's screen is still not showing up on the PC then you have a problem.

Your 2.2.2 phone was factory reset somehow by leaving it on the charger overnight and is now a brick.

That would make it the second 2.2.2 that has had that happen in the the same amount of weeks, and will need to put the word out about it.

Hopefully everything will work just fine though.

Try to do a soft reset. Pull battery (the one that has a good charge) and and hold down the power button for 30 sec.
After soft reset Re-install battery and Hold down home+volume down then power button( all at the same time), until you hopefully see the lg logo, then let go of the buttons. It should hopefully boot into your recovery menu. If you still get a black screen go to the sticky^ "The Truth About ROM Manager". There is a workaround for the black screen in recovery.

Don't worry if your phone doesn't seem to be recognized by the PC after the install of the ADB. If for some reason after getting Droid@Screen set up and operating properly and your phone's screen is still not showing up on the PC then you have a problem.

Your 2.2.2 phone was factory reset somehow by leaving it on the charger overnight and is now a brick.

That would make it the second 2.2.2 that has had that happen in the the same amount of weeks, and will need to put the word out about it.

I installed ADB using the link in the thread. I ran Droid@Screen but my device isn't showing up under the devices list. ADB still isn't seeing my phone in recovery mode.

Only when the phone is put into Emergency mode does the phone actually begin to interact with the computer - EG show up under device manager. Still no ADB though...

Am I out of luck then?

Does it make the "safely remove hardware" icon show up on the task bar of your PC when you plug it into it?

Nope. It's there but it does not show my phone regardless of whether it's plugged in or not. It's not there during Emergency mode either - The phone does show up in devices and printers during said mode, however.

There is some hope. Not much.
It might only have WiFi. I'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to cram the Optimus S firmware into a phone in your state of disrepair. Had a member that did it by accident and he still had WiFi and phone service(voice mail too), but his was a good phone to begin with.

Try not to use your Emergency Mode for anything just yet. It is the only thing that allows your phone to be recognized by your PC.

Will need to use it to flash the firmware, if you decide it's the only option left.

Give me some time to gather up all the proper info.(Sunday, late afternoon/early evenning). Today I need to put motor mount, and stabilizer strut in my neighbor's car. Study Gods word after. Then Sunday worship. Will compile all the downloads and links and sites when done.
Unless somebody beats me to it. I'll try and see if I can get the member who flashed the S firmware on the V to help as well.

There is some hope. Not much.
It might only have WiFi. I'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to cram the Optimus S firmware into a phone in your state of disrepair. Had a member that did it by accident and he still had WiFi and phone service(voice mail too), but his was a good phone to begin with.

Try not to use your Emergency Mode for anything just yet. It is the only thing that allows your phone to be recognized by your PC.

Will need to use it to flash the firmware, if you decide it's the only option left.

Give me some time to gather up all the proper info.(Sunday, late afternoon/early evenning). Today I need to put motor mount, and stabilizer strut in my neighbor's car. Study Gods word after. Then Sunday worship. Will compile all the downloads and links and sites when done.
Unless somebody beats me to it. I'll try and see if I can get the member who flashed the S firmware on the V to help as well.

Will I be able to go back to V firmware once we get the S's firmware on there? This phone is completely useless if I can't use data/SMS.

Also: reading through some posts from people with the same issue: "After speaking with virgin mobile, i found out if you do a factory reset and you have less than 50% battery.. You can and WILL brick your phone.". Greeeat. Sounds exactly like what happened.

At this time there is no working VM firmware. That's why I suggested the "S" firmware.

What the heck? That can happen?! :confused:

I read of another instance were this happened. It has to be a problem with the integrity of the processor and the firmware on the 2.2.2 phones.

It's kind of rare, but it's not the first case, just haven't seen it enough to establish a pattern to determine a cause and a cure.

The phone wouldn't boot today at all. I said screw it and bought the Optimus Slider (Which is also an amazing phone). Oh well. I'll see if LG will still take the phone back and fix it.

Back
Top Bottom