• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For people who's battery go from 100% to 90% in a matter of minutes

What are your results ?

• It works!

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • It doesn't work ... *SOB*

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • I have yet to try it

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • I'm still waiting for more feedback

Votes: 35 26.7%

• Total voters
I am in no way an Apple fanboy and love my EVO. But if an Apple iPhone user (or Steve Jobs) read that above paragraph, they would burst out in laughter. I will be emailing HTC corporate office directly in regards to this issue. And the more of us who contact them, the quicker a fix/update will get pushed out.
I agree, this is ridiculous! Why wouldn't we keep our phone on the charger overnight so we have a freshly charged battery in the morning.....What would HTC's answer be to us to have a fully charged battery in the morning?
And then is this HTC's fault or Android's fault?

I would think it might be software related but that is just a guess. I can be totally wrong on that. Just putting it out there.........

I guess if everyone gets on the same page and see's the real issue with overcharging while already on green, we might get further. Right now people are still believing there Voodoo magic tricks is what is doing the trick when in reality, it is how long the phone is being charged.....

I am also not saying the battery is the best while using the device, and other tricks might help the longetivity of it, but I sure would like to have my 90 - 100% back every morning and not start the day at 90....

Theory #2........
I have now read some threads that are saying when being charged through USB on a computer it is a slower and better charge. When I used my device today to charge to the 100% I did use the computer USB. Wonder if that also helped. Wonder if the outcome would be different if we used the USB charger overnight. If maybe we would not see the huge drop in battery in the first few minutes when charging like this. Or it would be exactly the same......

Although, no thinking about it, I charged it to green in the wall charger last night and took it off when it turned green. Then left it unplugged for an hour and it stayed at 100%....gggrrr

It is unfortunate we have to go through all of this. Don't people get paid to run this devices through every single scenerio!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I am in no way an Apple fanboy and love my EVO. But if an Apple iPhone user (or Steve Jobs) read that above paragraph, they would burst out in laughter. I will be emailing HTC corporate office directly in regards to this issue. And the more of us who contact them, the quicker a fix/update will get pushed out.

Well yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to even have to suggest such a thing.. but rebooting the phone daily is never a bad thing in my opinion.. when your phone, or even computer starts doing funny things what do you do? you reboot.. but your right.. a firmware fix needs to be done.. that being said, the above suggestion i made would still work! Nice that you mentioned Steve Jobs.. i'm sure he's combing these forums for bash material.. :D

Upvote 0
Here's something i'm thinking:

I know that the people who tried this backup'ed the files/folders. Most of you guys moved it back in correct?

The way I did it was I formatted everything on the SD card. After it was done, I only put music/photos in there. It contained no folders that was previously installed on the SD card.

The reason why i was thinking about this was because I formatted my brothers EVO and saw that when it was done, the SD card was preloaded with folders already. Thus, I believe that maybe its working for me because I didn't move those folders back in? Not sure what the case is with everybody.. so i'll ask?

When you formatted the SD card, did you move your folders back in?

edit: It's working VERY well for me for some reason. Maybe that was the difference. I didn't move anything besides music/photos back in, maybe its not working for most of you is because you moved all the folders back in.

Upvote 0
Here's something i'm thinking:

I know that the people who tried this backup'ed the files/folders. Most of you guys moved it back in correct?

The way I did it was I formatted everything on the SD card. After it was done, I only put music/photos in there. It contained no folders that was previously installed on the SD card.

The reason why i was thinking about this was because I formatted my brothers EVO and saw that when it was done, the SD card was preloaded with folders already. Thus, I believe that maybe its working for me because I didn't move those folders back in? Not sure what the case is with everybody.. so i'll ask?

When you formatted the SD card, did you move your folders back in?

edit: It's working VERY well for me for some reason. Maybe that was the difference. I didn't move anything besides music/photos back in, maybe its not working for most of you is because you moved all the folders back in.
If that is the case then a format wouldn't matter, it would just be a matter of removing some folders......

If people want to really test it out, they can remove their card for the day and see if it makes a difference.

Either way, it still will not help with the fact that you cannot charge your EVO overnight and start the day with a true 100% battery!

In the meantime, is there any way for me to change my vote...lol

Are you able to charge your phone overnight and not see the initial quick drop? Can you actual stay between 90-100% for a few hours if your phone has been on the charger all night. For some reason I find it hard to believe if you say yes........

And if you do say yes, then an easy way for people to test is to remove their SD cards from their EVOs and charge it on green for a nice couple of hours and see if that removes the initial drop......

Upvote 0
I can confirm eric's findings. Over the last two nights I have put my phone to charge overnight and in the morning when I pick it up off the charger, its at 99% and then starts to drop quickly from there.

So there is an issue with the charging method that HTC needs to fix. Hopefully we're hear something soon. I'll send them an e-mail today and report back if I hear anything.

Upvote 0
After having read most of the battery threads on this site and some others, I have spoken with several people and have come to the following conclusion...

I WILL NOT LEAVE MY EVO PLUGGED IN OVER NIGHT, NOR ALL DAY.

If the person who posted the Kill-a-watt results, showing the Evo decreasing its charge as it gets closer to full, (ie draws less from the adapter) and then waits till the Evo drops to somewhere around 90% (the system determines battery charge by available power in the battery, not by 100% of charge) before starting to fill the battery up again. So, again, if the person who posted that is correct, which makes sense and someone gave it the term "floating charge" (think of carefully blowing a bubble to see how big you can get it without popping it, you would slowly blow it up, slowing down as it gets bigger, eventually backing off to breathe again, then start blowing again...), if this is correct, then the Evo Battery will be a worthless piece of junk in 8 months.

Lithium Batteries (of all kinds) are rated in life expectancy based on the number of "Charges" they are capable of incurring before the metals in the battery (lithium) break down and can no longer sustain a reasonable amount of charge. Many people have seen this happen with other devices (not all cell phones) after some time the battery fails to hold a charge, just ask anyone who is a heavy laptop user. A LiPo battery differs (mostly) from a Li-Ion battery in that they normally can accept x3 to x10 as many charge "cycles" before not meeting manufacturer specifications for the intended device. I have not see any Li-Ion batteries that do not fall into the 200-1250 charge cycle battery life range. most are 500 cycles and any over 800 usually proudly display it on the package (go find some Energizer rechargeables and look at the package for the # of Charge cycles they can handle, you will see the number clearly marked fairly large font if it is a higher number, if you are looking at older batteries (or the non-energizer/duracell brand batteries) you will either not find the number of charge cycles printed on the package, or it will be in smaller font AND be a lower number.

A friend of mine stated that the iPhone LiPo battery is designed to survive 2000+ charge cycles, hence why it is not a user serviceable part as the battery should outlast the phone, vs. the standard cell phone with a Li-Ion is only designed to survive 500 charge cycles (I did not say smart phone). I do not know the battery charge life cycle for HTC phones as it is apparent they are reusing the batteries in different models to save costs, I would guess it is not exceptionally high.

Ok, background info complete, time to make my point, so the rest of you can get on with your lives...

If the HTC Evo "Float Charges" your battery, and you plug it in at 9pm with 60%+ battery life and unplug it at 7am with 91%+ battery life, your battery will have been "float charging" after reaching a full level for approximately 8 hours, this will have killed your batteries life expectancy by 1-3 charge cycles. If you then do the same thing at work for 8+ hours, you will kill another 1-2 life cycles off your battery. IF the Evo only has say 750 life cycles on the stock Li-Ion battery (the one without the "foil" stripes) that people have gotten with all 3 models (HW001, HW002, HW003) (not saying everyone has this battery, just that it has been reported as having been shipped with all three model versions, so the model number does not dictate the battery that shipped with it), you have a maximum estimated time of 375 days before your battery will fail to hold a charge forever more. The minimum is much scarier, as it will only be 150 days before your battery starts to fail to maintain a constant level of charge. This math is based off you doing the same thing every day, 7 days a week, which I do not think anyone on this planet actually does, except maybe a 1 week old baby... and even they will change their habits before 375 days pass... to make the math worse, if you use a life expectancy of 500 charge cycles you are looking at 100-250 days of battery usage before needing to replace it.

Please feel free to argue and curse me, and to find factual proof against my argument, but I for one will be charging my phone, only when I am conscious and capable of unplugging it immediately when the green light comes on, and only when the battery drops below 20%.

peace out.

Reactions: pokerjv
Upvote 0
Just wanted to chime in. This is some issue with HTC. I have the incredible and they experience the exact same thing. Leave it plugged in overnight, take it off the charger and look at email for a minute...down to 91%. I have had to unplug my phone every morning and plug it back in for about a half hour til green to get a true 100% as well. Hopefully HTC can release a fix for both our phones and it isn't a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
I just did a little test, without the micro sd card in the phone, the battery still went down to 90% very quickly and even after reformatting my sd card and putting it back in my phone, it was still the same

This is just a theory I have but there could be a possibility that the battery indicator is just flawed and not set to read the battery percentage correctly but the battery itself does actually have the proper amount.

Upvote 0
I just did a little test, without the micro sd card in the phone, the battery still went down to 90% very quickly and even after reformatting my sd card and putting it back in my phone, it was still the same

This is just a theory I have but there could be a possibility that the battery indicator is just flawed and not set to read the battery percentage correctly but the battery itself does actually have the proper amount.

ok I'm not an expert with battery and electricity but at 100% charge there is a battery voltage 4201 mv then i recorded the same data at 87% charge and there was a battery charge of 4035. Base on this if i divide 4035 by 4201, I SHOULD get .87 (or 87%) but instead I get .96 = 96%. This possibly proves my theory as quoted above that the battery indicator is not reading correctly but has the proper charge

Upvote 0
ok I'm not an expert with battery and electricity but at 100% charge there is a battery voltage 4201 mv then i recorded the same data at 87% charge and there was a battery charge of 4035. Base on this if i divide 4035 by 4201, I SHOULD get .87 (or 87%) but instead I get .96 = 96%. This possibly proves my theory as quoted above that the battery indicator is not reading correctly but has the proper charge
Battery voltage and energy capacity are not linear relations. You should have stopped at "I'm not an expert with battery and electricity".

Upvote 0

Most people make the mistake of thinking voltage and charge are the same thing. They are not the same thing though. I'm not going to get into the workings of the difference, but you can quickly read about it with the help of google :).

Anyways, I'm an electrical engineering student and my theory on the issue is this.

A calculation is taken periodically involving the amount of charge (in coulombs, not volts) stored on the battery and the current in the circuit.

T = Q/(I^k) where Q is charge, I is current and K is a constant.

T then is the time until full discharge. This calculation is most likely made over and over since both variables Q and I are constantly changing. These calculated values are then sent to an adding circuit (read about logical adders) which tallies the values and spits out an average time to discharge. This time is then reported as a percentage that you see on your screen.

There are many ways of doing this, and this is only one, so there is no way of telling if this is how HTC does things. Either way, I think their system is busted they need to fix their reporting methods.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones