• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fragile screen?

Cam501

I severely damaged the screen on my first DNA when I dropped it face down on a sidewalk. My replacement unit just fell off a couch of less than 18 inches from the floor and has a crack running across the entire width of it. That seems awfully fragile to me. I dropped my old Incredible many a time face down even when I didn't have a case on it and I never so much as got a scratch or any bit of damage to the screen, but with the DNA it seems like even the slightest impact does major damage. Luckilly I have another one on back order headed my way because this replacement unit had a bad speaker when I picked it up and it's awful making calls on it. Anyone else think our screens are excessively brittle or is it just the small bezel and large screen that makes it so easy to break?

I think it's just a function of size, along with a little unluckiness on your part. I had dropped mine from varying heights with no damage (including a 3 foot drop onto tile) but a similar drop into asphalt was too much. I have a zagg screen protector that I fully believe greatly improves drop break resistance.

Odd I've dropped the Incredible and DNA many times never a issue and my DNA has been naked since November. Carry in my pocket and still good to go. Case of bad luck. Hope your replacement gets to ya fast. Over all rather durable phones most of the time.

There's obviously more surface area on our phones since we have such big screens, and I doubt the thickness of this Gorilla Glass is any different than other models with smaller displays, so we are definitely working with a more fragile front display than other phones.

I'm trying to be very careful with mine. At the same time, I ditched the awful Verizon-supplied screen protector after it got scratched by a piece of soft plastic in a car! The glass itself is more resilient than that and it looks and feels so much better without a protector.

Back
Top Bottom