• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help free memory on htc desire

kurapuyo

Lurker
Hi,

I have a problem with my htc desire. The phone memory is always full.

I checked the memory usage with the DiskUsage application, and i realised that 80Mo is used by "E-Mail" (which i believe being the HTC Mail app).
I erased all the mails in the app, but the 80Mo memory usage remains.

I guess the old mails are stocked somewhere on the phone memory, but I can't find them, even with a file explorer app.

Could anyone tell me where the mails are saved on the memory or how i can erase them?

Go to settings/applications/manage applications/mail (don't know exactly what its called there) clear data and clear cache.

As ninja_reject suggested the first thing to do is go to settings>applications>manage applications and click on "E-mail", then select clear cache and clear data (which will remove all your email configs ... you'll have to re-enter it.). Rebooting your phone will help clean up the memory afterwards.

If you are on FroYo or later (Android v2.2) you can move some of the apps to the SD card to free up some memory, and if you are adventurous you can set the default location for apps to be installed to the sd card, which will allow you to move even more apps out of the phone's internal memory.

Here's how.

If you want to move more apps to the SD card, you'll need to have the Android SDK installed. How-To Install Android SDK On Windows, Mac and Linux

Then on your phone go to settings>applications>development and enable USB Debugging. Plug your phone into the PC using the USB cable.

open a command prompt on your PC (start>run type "cmd" press ENTER)

Change directory to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder

At the prompt type

Code:
adb devices
and you should see your phone listed as a serial number.

type

Code:
adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

Done.

Now the default location to install apps is the SD card. And, some apps that you couldn't move to the SD card will now be able to be moved. Keep in mind Widgets and services should always be installed to the phone and not the SD card, so if you follow the steps above and you install a widget afterwards, you will need to go to settings>applications>manage applications and manually move it to the phone. If you want to set the default install location back to the phone, you simply repeat the process but use

Code:
adb shell setInstallLocation 0

And, welcome to the forums.

Lunatic,

I tried your solution---downloaded sdk, ran a command line, changed to the appropriate directory, ran the "adb devices" command, but was told that that command doesn't exist...
Any advice????

Thanks...

Lunatic,

I tried your solution---downloaded sdk, ran a command line, changed to the appropriate directory, ran the "adb devices" command, but was told that that command doesn't exist...
Any advice????

Thanks...

Later versions of the SDK put the adb.exe file in a different folder.

Use my 5 step guide stickied in tips and tricks. Complete with minimal download of tools only

Back
Top Bottom