• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fring video calling to Sprint EVO! (with Skype support)

Fring is cool but I won't use it for my business.

I will pay the 5 bucks a month for it and use it for my business 12-20 guys.. We can save the videos, start our own channel and upload video to multiple sites.. Fring is cool for video chat but it won't help me close the deal or keep my customers informed..

but all of that is free and is ready to use out of the box. the only thing you have to pay for with qik is the 2 way video chat. starting your own channel, uploading to mulitple sites, etc is all FREE.

Upvote 0
Let me see now, I have Fring now for my Skype needs, Slingplayer on Android should be out within a month or so for my tv needs and Sirius has released its Android app for Android for when I dont want to use Pandora.

Seems like I now dont care as much about the $10 charge and may try to get this phone the 1st day. All I need now is 4g in NY and I will be set.

Not to mention Skype has said they are now working on a Android app for all carriers that supports video chat.

Upvote 0
Im only getting one way video. Skype on mac sees evo video, Evo using fring can not see mac video. I know my isight works because it works in skype to skype calls, for some reason it wont work with the Evo.

Works on iMac right off the bat. Called my wife's Mac.

Then, even better, she called my Evo from her Skype. Nice.
cool.gif

Just improve the quality, stabilize the software and enable the back camera and we have a winner.

Upvote 0
For some reason I can't get Skype to work...Anyone know of a work around?

Hmm, not sure what to tell ya. Since the update 2 days ago, I was able to try it out and it worked. I did a skype session to my bro's laptop and he said I came in clear (sound and audio). However; on my side, the feed of him would freeze 30 seconds in, but the audio was fine. We tried it 2-3 times and the feed of him would keep freezing about 30 seconds in. We chatted about 30 mins though since he could still see me fine. I haven't had a chance to try it again yet.

Upvote 0
Last used it last sunday night and it worked great. Used the same account as on my pc and it brings up all the contacts. Havent figured out how to add a contact in the skype addon through fring, however adding on the home pc and loging out/ relogging in through the phone updates the contact list.

Upvote 0
I'm really confused on how this work, so I apologize.

I created a Fring account and added my skype on my Evo. Then I installed skype on my macbook. I added my EVO phone number to my skype on my mac and when I tried to call my EVO through my Mac, it said I needed to buy credits.

How is this supposed to work?

Fring EVO -> Skype Desktop?
Skype Desktop -> Fring EVO?

Upvote 0
I'm really confused on how this work, so I apologize.

I created a Fring account and added my skype on my Evo. Then I installed skype on my macbook. I added my EVO phone number to my skype on my mac and when I tried to call my EVO through my Mac, it said I needed to buy credits.

How is this supposed to work?

Fring EVO -> Skype Desktop?
Skype Desktop -> Fring EVO?

You're into the Skype features you don't want - and it's easy to fix.

Skype does four things:
* text messages to other Skype accounts
* audio chat and audio conference to other Skype accounts
* video chat to other Skype accounts
* access to phone lines outside of Skype - this is the only part that costs money

So - you have a Skype account, you entered that as your login for Skype under Fring. Correct.

You added your phone number as a buddy under your desktop Skype - not correct. That will take you to the part of Skype that lets you make phone calls - you don't want that.

Skype is pretty good about not letting you conference with yourself.

Get a buddy, share him as a skype buddy from your desktop and his skype - Add Contact, send invite.

Now, go to fring on your phone - you'll able to see him in your buddy list and you'll be able to audio or video or text with him - for free.

And I've found the quality between my phone and Skype desktop to be quite good.

My co-workers jealously report me as coming in clear as a bell.

I've been using it without trouble since getting my phone on 6/6 - hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones