• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From a Best Buy mobile Employee

I agree....all the docs look amateur and there is no reason for them to be circulating.

This is total nonsense in my honest opinion.

I don't see the big deal. Yes, they look very amateurish, but everything will, until something is officially released. Even the map lists floating around that showed a 9/8 launch for the Bionic still had the Excel format bars in the screenshot.

If we refuse to believe anything until it says Verizon on it and is confirmed by Verizon or Samsung, we won't hear anything until after the 1st week of November at least.

I don't see the big deal. .
I just have a "problem" with it because the more things like this get coverage the more it encourages this type of behavior.

Soon every article will have the disclaimer of "take it with a grain of salt." Which is a dead end

It's going to blur the lines of "good" info versus bad. The credible sources are being marginalized and they are disappearing. And rightfully so I may add.

In the long run we will suffer the consequences.

Well... this document looks about as amateurish as the other one. Not real good w/horizontal layout, eh?

I have a question: Why would Best Buy be circulating documents like this to their employees? Surely everybody knows by now the pervasiveness of leaks. And why would low-level BB employees have any need to know what future phones will be released? How would this help them do their job now, to know about unreleased phones that they're not supposed to talk to anybody about? I just don't see this happening.

I personally think it's a marketing tactic. These occasional, unofficial leaks keep people like us begging for more information. We're discussing a phone in detail that isn't going to be released for probably two months. We're getting the name and specs of the phone out there for them, and launching a massive "word of mouth" campaign. It's really smart of them actually.

I just have a "problem" with it because the more things like this get coverage the more it encourages this type of behavior.

Soon every article will have the disclaimer of "take it with a grain of salt." Which is a dead end

It's going to blur the lines of "good" info versus bad. The credible sources are being marginalized and they are disappearing. And rightfully so I may add.

This is a good point.

I personally think it's a marketing tactic. These occasional, unofficial leaks keep people like us begging for more information. We're discussing a phone in detail that isn't going to be released for probably two months. We're getting the name and specs of the phone out there for them, and launching a massive "word of mouth" campaign. It's really smart of them actually.

So are we thinking that Mannequins is a Verizon or Samsung rumor-inserter? It's possible. But seriously guys, I really did call the number before it was blacked out, and it is an official Verizon phone number, and the person's name on the voice mail is the same as what was on the document.

It's possible, but I don't think probable.

It's not BB circulating it, it's VZ reps sending them to certain contacts in BB. As far as my sister says, Prime coming in November and Vigor replacing Tbolt is pretty common knowledge.

There's no reason why other VZ reps wouldn't know this and run their mouths.

You're right, I missed the VZW sender. Still looks dubious to me, but the info may still turn out to be accurate.

Ah, the old "accidental" leak to fire up consumer excitement. Certainly possible.

As a neutral observer not believing nor disbelieving I find it fun stuff. All though I want to believe I confess.
I'm certainly not going to stick my neck out and call BS or swear by any of it. I already had a Crow dinner thanks to blurry pictures of the Bionic and have learned by it.

Two months is going to seem like a year to me. HTC? The Dinc2 put a real bad taste in my mouth towards them.

I am really impressed how we hear things a week before all the news gets copied and pasted in places like, Pocket now and Engadget.

UUm that is how most leaks are anyway. Just because you didn't get this info from your "source" doesn't mean others shouldnt share what they have.

This is a good point.

So are we thinking that Mannequins is a Verizon or Samsung rumor-inserter? It's possible. But seriously guys, I really did call the number before it was blacked out, and it is an official Verizon phone number, and the person's name on the voice mail is the same as what was on the document.

It's possible, but I don't think probable.

It's probably higher then them. Someone at some point must decide to send an email to employees and organization partners, and I'm sure they know the risks of the email getting leaked. I wouldn't be surprised if everything was timed according to how VZW/Samsung/Google marketing want this information to get out.

It's probably higher then them. Someone at some point must decide to send an email to employees and organization partners, and I'm sure they know the risks of the email getting leaked. I wouldn't be surprised if everything was timed according to how VZW/Samsung/Google marketing want this information to get out.

True, but the leaks we've seen (the notepad list, the email yesterday about it dropping either 11/17/or 11/24) look SO amateurish. If Verizon or Samsung wanted to stir the pot, something slightly more official-looking would work best.

I do think they've been doing it (the User Profile page that was up with the "Prime" name; sending a cease and desist letter to P3Droid, who has a bigger mouth than Sarah Silverman; etc.).

But yeah, these other leaks could be deliberate on the part of higher-ups sending sensitive info to pee-ons.

On the other hand, these leaks were springing up like crazy in the Bionic world, and almost all of them turned out to be wrong, which led to severe anger and frustration. They could have been from higher ups in Moto, and they just screwed up and had to keep delaying, or they could've been from glory-hounds who were simply making it up.

It's important to take all these with a grain of salt. We still haven't heard anything official from Samsung, Verizon, or Google. If November comes and goes and Prime doesn't release, and we put too much faith in these leaks, people will definitely be starting "I hate Samsung" threads and calling them liars and idiots. And I'll be the OP! :p

I think they (samsung/google/verizon) have been doing pretty good job of keeping things like leak photos, concrete specs under wrap so far while leaking release dates unofficially. Usually at this point of time before launch, leak photos will start surfacing. But I doubt we will see any such info until late Oct. Hopefully Prime is all it was hyped, touted when it finally shows up to world.

I think they (samsung/google/verizon) have been doing pretty good job of keeping things like leak photos, concrete specs under wrap so far while leaking release dates unofficially. Usually at this point of time before launch, leak photos will start surfacing. But I doubt we will see any such info until late Oct. Hopefully Prime is all it was hyped, touted when it finally shows up to world.

Thats because they are trying to do what apple does. Look at it this way. If pics and everything leaked then if it really wasnt that groundbreaking people would just go out and grab another phone and most likely get the iphone. By keeping it under wraps I think google thinks they are atleast going to get some possible iphone buyers to hold off atleast a few days/weeks until an announcement is made about the prime.

Thats because they are trying to do what apple does. Look at it this way. If pics and everything leaked then if it really wasnt that groundbreaking people would just go out and grab another phone and most likely get the iphone. By keeping it under wraps I think google thinks they are atleast going to get some possible iphone buyers to hold off atleast a few days/weeks until an announcement is made about the prime.

That's good point. But Bionic got leak photos back in July from what I remember and that still didn't stop Moto fans rushing to stores on its first days. I guess that's partly because it didn't overlap with iPhone5.

always remember, if you dont want the world to see it, and possibly your family, friends, co-workers, etc, DONT POST IT ON THE INTERNET!

but its still quite amusing to see the panic lol

i see alot of people are going to be getting this phone once its out

I guess we really need to wait and see if the Prime passes through the FCC, then we will have some answers.

If it is not passed by the middle of October then you can just forget about the Prime and move on.

I guess we really need to wait and see if the Prime passes through the FCC, then we will have some answers.

If it is not passed by the middle of October then you can just forget about the Prime and move on.

Agree if there is no solid info on the prime once the vigor comes out I will grab that. HTC makes nice phones and are very open to the dev community so even if its not a nexus device we can rely on the devs and not the OEM's.

Is there really any solid evidence (yes i know most of this is all rumor anyway), that a prime is even coming to Verizon? I seem to remember rumors months ago about the GS II coming to Verizon but that didn't happen. As much as I would love a pure google phone on Verizon, I don't think Verizon has much business incentive to do something like that. Their crapware provides services that bring in revenue, so I'm sure they want to keep that on. That doesn't mean a version of the Prime won't come to Verizon loaded with Touchwiz and verizon apps, but I'm trying to think where the whole Droid Prime name even came from. I think thats still just all a rumor at the moment.

Dealing with all these rumors is frustrating. I picked up a Bionic last weekend because my OG droid was killing me and I hated waiting around for rumored devices, but I can't help feel a little buyers remorse. While its a good phone, the promise of ICS and (maybe?) a pure google phone is very tempting.

Is there really any solid evidence (yes i know most of this is all rumor anyway), that a prime is even coming to Verizon? I seem to remember rumors months ago about the GS II coming to Verizon but that didn't happen.

That's the fun part about this game. One doesn't know and can either wait or go with the gut feeling.

I'm a cheap-o so I don't mind letting the others release and drop in rice while I wait for the Prime. If there is no Prime I'll back up to something else. I cannot see me waiting for anything after though. By then perhaps there will have been several OTA updates refining the Bionic.

Is there really any solid evidence (yes i know most of this is all rumor anyway), that a prime is even coming to Verizon? I seem to remember rumors months ago about the GS II coming to Verizon but that didn't happen. As much as I would love a pure google phone on Verizon, I don't think Verizon has much business incentive to do something like that. Their crapware provides services that bring in revenue, so I'm sure they want to keep that on. That doesn't mean a version of the Prime won't come to Verizon loaded with Touchwiz and verizon apps, but I'm trying to think where the whole Droid Prime name even came from. I think thats still just all a rumor at the moment.

Dealing with all these rumors is frustrating. I picked up a Bionic last weekend because my OG droid was killing me and I hated waiting around for rumored devices, but I can't help feel a little buyers remorse. While its a good phone, the promise of ICS and (maybe?) a pure google phone is very tempting.

It's mostly rumors, but way more solid than verizon SGS2 that never got rumors/leaks near this much. I don't have all the links but here are some of them. Samsung also confirmed they are making it and there is CDMA radio version.

Samsung DROID Prime — Verizon’s Reason for Snubbing Samsung Galaxy S II

Droid Prime and Nexus Prime Both Get Closer to Launch

Android 'Ice Cream Sandwich' Coming in October or November? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Samsung Prime To Be Announced After iPhone 5 Release Date? [Verizon Tipster Reveals That Droid Prime Coming After iPhone In October, May Not Be Named Droid] | TFTS

That's the fun part about this game. One doesn't know and can either wait or go with the gut feeling.

I'm a cheap-o so I don't mind letting the others release and drop in rice while I wait for the Prime. If there is no Prime I'll back up to something else. I cannot see me waiting for anything after though. By then perhaps there will have been several OTA updates refining the Bionic.

yup, fun....woohoo..lol. Oh well, might go back to the droid and suffer through. Just hope it lasts.

I got a pic of a vzw email from a rep.
lolyesitsfake.jpg
Its from my friend who works at walmart as a door greeter. He got a pic from the managers desk when he was in there discussing his raise and promotion to regional manager. and stuff. [Yes, it is a joke.]

Back
Top Bottom